Stevetoad

Brahea super silver showing silver.

Kennybenjamin

No they not silver yet mate. I have seen pics somewhere recently of a small one that wasn't silver and then a few years later the same specimen was certainly silver

coops 3214
30 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

No they not silver yet mate. I have seen pics somewhere recently of a small one that wasn't silver and then a few years later the same specimen was certainly silver

Scott down here in Melbourne has one in a pot thats silver and its about 3ft tall thats the closest ive seen

Stevetoad

3 years later. This has been my favorite brahea and my 3rd favorite palm to grow

A9C20578-3901-45DB-9038-50AFEBB26E16.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

gilles06

Wow, what a nice palm!

akamu

Steve time for an update on your killer Super Silver

sonoranfans

Beautiful palm, the wait for the silver/blue appears well worth it!  Seems like soon it will be overhead, why not plant some more so you can have multistage heights in blue?  The petiole colors are remarkably blue vs other blue braheas.  As with many palms, the best view will soon be up on the roof.

Steve in Florida

I have several developing much more wax on the leaves.

IMG_6936.JPG

• Like 3

Collectorpalms

I had one that definitely turned super silver! But it was my only Brahea to die in the Texas Freeze. I am totally bummed. I am removing the trunk tomorrow for trash day, along with a whole heck of a lot other palms.

I assumed it would be cold hardy, but wish I would have at least wrapped it. But it just seemed like it would have had a chance. Blue palms like Sabal Uresana, Brahea Armata, and Brahea Clara are making a rebound. Brahea Aculeata, which is somewhat silver, mostly the bottom of the leaves is also coming back. I looked online and mine is definitely more on the silver than green variety.

Edited by Collectorpalms

floridaPalmMan
10 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

I have several developing much more wax on the leaves.

How do your brahea's fair in northern florida?

Any issues with mold/humidity? Do they struggle or do just fine?

Steve in Florida

Mold growing on the waxy leaves is a constant problem in this very rural, wooded area.  An urban environment would provide much less humid growing conditions. 

• Upvote 1

Collectorpalms
17 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

How do your brahea's fair in northern florida?

Any issues with mold/humidity? Do they struggle or do just fine?

My climate is same as north central Florida. Gulf coast humidity. This one did NOT have an issue with humidity and fungus for me.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Steve in Florida
12 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

My climate is same as north central Florida. Gulf coast humidity. This one did NOT have an issue with humidity and fungus for me.

No, your humidity is not close to mine.  You live in a high density urban area with humidity lower than mine year round.  Asphalt, brick, concrete, and stone don't stay wet long, especially when the sun shines in central Texas. I also have no heat island effect like you do.  

Stevetoad

Lighting isn’t good right now but here’s an update. BTW if youre wondering what happened to the h.indica that was next to it. It caught a line drive from my son and cracked the crownshaft. It died about a month later. We don't play ball out back anymore.  

66112BC7-6ABD-4C14-B651-CAAF188D3F23.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

akamu

The speed and color in your brahea is incredible thanks for re posting I like  the idea of using your child as size comparison  of growth verses using  a  beer bottle shoe etc now it's time to do some editing and plant this species

Stevetoad
4 minutes ago, akamu said:

The speed and color in your brahea is incredible thanks for re posting I like  the idea of using your child as size comparison  of growth verses using  a  beer bottle shoe etc now it's time to do some editing and plant this species

Thats where I'm at now. As hard as it is I need to thin the herd. 

akamu

5 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Thats where I'm at now. As hard as it is I need to thin the herd. 

I hear that too many Palms not enough space I need 5 acres and a well for what's in my head

Stevetoad
Just now, akamu said:

I hear that too many Palms not enough space I need 5 acres and a well for what's in my head

yeah me too. Then I try to find time to take care of my postage stamp sized yard and get overwhelmed.