IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea super silver showing silver.

Stevetoad

My B. 'Super Silver' gets minimal water as well. They are drought tolerant for sure, at least once established. Our soil is very porous with volcanic rock mixed in so it dries out rather fast. I have never fertilized it, only mulched. Does anybody have a pic of one growing in habitat so as to get a better idea how they look as mature plants?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al, there's an awesome thread somewhere in Palmtalk with a bunch of habitat photos. If I remember right the area is very rocky and looks very dry.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks Steve for locating that thread on Brahea Super Silver and to see those photos in habitat again. An interesting read and yet questions arise about habitat distribution, possible subspecies, etc. Might it be allied to Brahea nitida (which it resembles)?

Despite the fact that it grows at very high relatively dry elevations (up to 6,000 ft.) in habitat, it grows well for me here in South Kona at an elevation of about 1,250 ft. I'm sure our humidity levels are much higher but we are both located at nearly the same latitude.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Whoa both of you guys pictures look awesome, mine has finally started to take off its in a pot and i'm about to plant it in a raised bed!

Mine are also showing a bit of silver. But those overhere grow in pots, they go inside in winter when it gets to cold. And at 52 degrees latitude North the lightintensity is much less then in places like Houston or Southern California. There planted out in sunny gardens with a long growing season they would grow much faster and getting that silver collor much earlier.

Alexander

Alexander, thanks for keeping us informed about your Brahea Super Silver in containers. You are one of the few who have visited them in habitat, something that I want to do one day. I checked out where Zapotitlan, Puebla is located on the map (just west of Tehuacan). I've traveled a lot in Mexico but never been to that immediate area.

Nice sunsets!

Alexander's photos are awesome. I really like this one, that's as super silver as it gets.

post-5026-067185200%201310872601.jpg

Another fellow further down posted this photo which I find so fascinating, an entire forest of super silver! Looks like a very fertile palm that has no trouble reproducing. I have discovered that seedlings do NOT like damp conditions and will damp off easily if humidity is high. According to the weather data for the area, it's a high elevation cool dry type ecosystem, i.e. 70's daytime and 50's night time. That would explain why these grow so fast here. Maybe Alexander can elaborate on what the temps were like when he was there.

post-2961-083814900%201328649273.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Isn't that last pic (by F. Moreno) above that Axel posted of the forest of Breahea Super Silver awesome! Makes me wanna plan a trip to just go see it.

Nice sunsets!

• 1 year later...

Update as of last night. The tops of the leaves are holding lots of blue now. The undersides are a bit green due to the fact that I had to blast them with the hose because of a scale infestation that popped up out of no where. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9c2bc388646f13a578147

image.thumb.jpeg.a839d46fb4d12bf6a84a99c

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Looking good Steve!  It has grown a ton since I was last out there with Jastin.  Mine is starting to get a lot of silver now too and is probably about half the size of yours.  These are great plants for SoCal.

Steve, that is amazing!!!!

A few of these are starting to make there way around Australia now, I ordered 1000 seeds a few years ago and most of them germinated.

cant wait for them to look like your one!

7 hours ago, GMann said:

That is amazing how fast it has grown in 3 years. And I was told they are slow growers.

Nah. Give em heat and lots of water and they're pretty fast. Low water low growth. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

10 hours ago, GMann said:

That is amazing how fast it has grown in 3 years. And I was told they are slow growers.

Here in socal in full sun they are a sure bet to grow fast.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Steve--you got some good growing skills! Make sure you both follow each other's passions and you will always be best friends, Dad.

15 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Steve--you got some good growing skills! Make sure you both follow each other's passions and you will always be best friends, Dad.

For real! Got him fishing now. He is my best buddy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c42779d19e0ffd05f20495d

• Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Beautiful bass Steve! Can't tell you how many memories of the boyz & me were made while drifting in S.D bay. Great picture, just the best!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

7 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Beautiful bass Steve! Can't tell you how many memories of the boyz & me were made while drifting in S.D bay. Great picture, just the best!

Thanks Brett.  We're out there almost every weekend. Got a nice bonefish last weekend. You still fish?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Not as much as I like to Steve, but still have the boat. (Gotta keep the dream alive!) Been reading up on bonefish in the back part of the bay. How far back were you: way back in the shallow south end, or? 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

4 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Not as much as I like to Steve, but still have the boat. (Gotta keep the dream alive!) Been reading up on bonefish in the back part of the bay. How far back were you: way back in the shallow south end, or? 

Just south of pepper park in 10 feet of water with a live ghost shrimp. On ultra light gear there a blast. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

On April 29, 2016 at 6:52:54 PM, Stevetoad said:

For real! Got him fishing now. He is my best buddy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c42779d19e0ffd05f20495d

Nice spotty!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Brett there a lot of bonefish in the Back Bay. There's also a very healthy population of them in Newport Bay. I have caught lots of then unintentionally

Sunset zone 24

On April 27, 2016 at 12:13:01 PM, Stevetoad said:

Update as of last night. The tops of the leaves are holding lots of blue now. The undersides are a bit green due to the fact that I had to blast them with the hose because of a scale infestation that popped up out of no where. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9c2bc388646f13a578147

image.thumb.jpeg.a839d46fb4d12bf6a84a99c

I need to get over for a PRA soon and some cold beer

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I need to get over for a PRA soon and some cold beer

Your always welcome

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Brett there a lot of bonefish in the Back Bay. There's also a very healthy population of them in Newport Bay. I have caught lots of then unintentionally

Sounds like we need a Palmtalk fishing day. I'm in!!!image.thumb.jpeg.695397e99b1b496c98f9bf8

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

14 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Your always welcome

Sweet!!

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

How many people are growing these in Australia?? Are there any that have turned silver ive only seen one but it seems everyone is selling them.here so there must be a few around?

1 hour ago, coops 3214 said:

How many people are growing these in Australia?? Are there any that have turned silver ive only seen one but it seems everyone is selling them.here so there must be a few around?

Mark, let me know where I can buy one if you know?

@Kennybenjamin Does Ben   keep any ?

BTW, how cold hardy is this?

29 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Where abouts are u mohsen??

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Mine are as cold hardey as my other braheas, armata, edulis and pimo all take full frost, my super silver is quicker than the pimo and armata not as quick as the edulis though

Just now, Mohsen said:

Sydney...

Ben should have them if not ive got a few from premier palms in perth before let me know if u get stuck ive got a few , or msg me on my mob 0401726453, 

2 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I do indeed have a couple of small ones, if you are interested in 1 I am happy to supply pics and palms. Very limited number available though.

Great pics Steve, family and Palm pics... Love them all!!:D

Have u got any that have turned silver yet ben?? There like an urban legend down here lol