IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea super silver showing silver.

Stevetoad

No they not silver yet mate. I have seen pics somewhere recently of a small one that wasn't silver and then a few years later the same specimen was certainly silver

30 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

No they not silver yet mate. I have seen pics somewhere recently of a small one that wasn't silver and then a few years later the same specimen was certainly silver

Scott down here in Melbourne has one in a pot thats silver and its about 3ft tall thats the closest ive seen

• 3 years later...

3 years later. This has been my favorite brahea and my 3rd favorite palm to grow

A9C20578-3901-45DB-9038-50AFEBB26E16.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Wow, what a nice palm!

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

• 1 year later...

Beautiful palm, the wait for the silver/blue appears well worth it!  Seems like soon it will be overhead, why not plant some more so you can have multistage heights in blue?  The petiole colors are remarkably blue vs other blue braheas.  As with many palms, the best view will soon be up on the roof.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have several developing much more wax on the leaves.

IMG_6936.JPG

• Like 3

I had one that definitely turned super silver! But it was my only Brahea to die in the Texas Freeze. I am totally bummed. I am removing the trunk tomorrow for trash day, along with a whole heck of a lot other palms.

I assumed it would be cold hardy, but wish I would have at least wrapped it. But it just seemed like it would have had a chance. Blue palms like Sabal Uresana, Brahea Armata, and Brahea Clara are making a rebound. Brahea Aculeata, which is somewhat silver, mostly the bottom of the leaves is also coming back. I looked online and mine is definitely more on the silver than green variety.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

I have several developing much more wax on the leaves.

How do your brahea's fair in northern florida?

Any issues with mold/humidity? Do they struggle or do just fine?

Mold growing on the waxy leaves is a constant problem in this very rural, wooded area.  An urban environment would provide much less humid growing conditions. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

How do your brahea's fair in northern florida?

Any issues with mold/humidity? Do they struggle or do just fine?

My climate is same as north central Florida. Gulf coast humidity. This one did NOT have an issue with humidity and fungus for me.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

12 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

My climate is same as north central Florida. Gulf coast humidity. This one did NOT have an issue with humidity and fungus for me.

No, your humidity is not close to mine.  You live in a high density urban area with humidity lower than mine year round.  Asphalt, brick, concrete, and stone don't stay wet long, especially when the sun shines in central Texas. I also have no heat island effect like you do.  

Lighting isn’t good right now but here’s an update. BTW if youre wondering what happened to the h.indica that was next to it. It caught a line drive from my son and cracked the crownshaft. It died about a month later. We don't play ball out back anymore.  

66112BC7-6ABD-4C14-B651-CAAF188D3F23.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

The speed and color in your brahea is incredible thanks for re posting I like  the idea of using your child as size comparison  of growth verses using  a  beer bottle shoe etc now it's time to do some editing and plant this species

4 minutes ago, akamu said:

The speed and color in your brahea is incredible thanks for re posting I like  the idea of using your child as size comparison  of growth verses using  a  beer bottle shoe etc now it's time to do some editing and plant this species

Thats where I'm at now. As hard as it is I need to thin the herd. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

5 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Thats where I'm at now. As hard as it is I need to thin the herd. 

I hear that too many Palms not enough space I need 5 acres and a well for what's in my head

Just now, akamu said:

I hear that too many Palms not enough space I need 5 acres and a well for what's in my head

yeah me too. Then I try to find time to take care of my postage stamp sized yard and get overwhelmed. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean