Stevetoad

Brahea super silver showing silver.

Stevetoad

I got this super silver last year at the pssc banquet. If I remember right it was a plant that (elhoagie) brought. Anyways, I popped it in the ground the next day and it has grown way faster than I thought it would. It was looking great but alway dark green and I was wondering when they start to show silver. This newest leaf is way more silver than the rest of the plant. I thought it would be more of a gradual change but this is pretty fast change in my opinion. I'm loving this palm!

9FF61359-8D18-428E-B42F-9656D75349EE-415

33E225A4-F99F-442B-B876-8451C0B86B32-415

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos

Very nice! Mine are much smaller and deep green of course. Hope your's keeps silvering up for you!

Phoenikakias

You have shown in posted pic only the back side of new leaf. What is the color like on the front side?

dalmatiansoap

Beautifull color!

gyuseppe
this seems brahea nitida
  • Upvote 1

iamjv

Nice high quality shots of this baby..... good to see about what size they need to be for the transformation to occur! I still have a ways to go! Yours looks very healthy and happy!!!

Stevetoad

You have shown in posted pic only the back side of new leaf. What is the color like on the front side?

The top isn't as silver as the bottom but you can see that it's still starting to show more silver. The last leaf before this one started showing a bit of silver on the ribs of the leaf too.

B5691901-4297-40F8-B0C5-5831AE114194-455

• Upvote 1

iamjv

I like this stage with that ting of blue showing.....

Phoenikakias

Hmm, Steve are you sure that those are really ribs and not merely just still joined segments, which, when they will eventually split apart, this adaxial wax will disappear?

Stevetoad

Hmm, Steve are you sure that those are really ribs and not merely just still joined segments, which, when they will eventually split apart, this adaxial wax will disappear?

The leaf that opened before this one that you can see in the right of the photo is fully open. The silver it showed was far less than the newest leaf but it hasn't lost any of the color. It actually shows more silver on the ribs or pleats than it does at the joined points. Every other leaf that has opened before these last 2 have showed zero color other than a nice deep green. Mark mcguiness has a really nice one that is now almost white. He said his stayed green for a long time and then went silver pretty fast. I'm hoping that's what mine will do too. I can't wait to see what the next leaf looks like.

Stevetoad

Brahea Nitidia!

What makes you think it's nitida? The nitidas I've seen didn't have any silver on top of the leaves and were more glossy looking. Is there a certain characteristic that would set it apart from super silver at this age?

dalmatiansoap

No "armor". My Super Silver looks the same (talking about petioles) but has much softer leaves and still is all green.

Kris

Beautiful visuals....

Thanks,

kris.

Jastin

That's way bigger than I remember dude! Whatever it is, it's awesome.

sergiskan

WOOOWW!...what a beauty, it seem very healthy.
nice green deep colour.

...mine start to show some silver...

post-1753-0-29246900-1361345887_thumb.jp

regards.

Stevetoad

thought i would do an update on this palm. its opening up its 2nd leaf since feb. 17th. its getting more silver and seems to get faster and faster.

post-5835-0-28218200-1365872100_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Brahea Axel

Super silver is awesome, if I had the room I'd plant a whole dozen!

dalmatiansoap

thought i would do an update on this palm. its opening up its 2nd leaf since feb. 17th. its getting more silver and seems to get faster and faster.

Beauty!

:greenthumb:

Phoenikakias

Yes, it is finally Super Silver. Enjoy it Steve! :)

Brahea Axel

Steve, I knew you guys in Santee got frost in April! :)

Seriously, it does look as if it's got frost on it. I just put one in this Spring, and it was completely green, but the new spear is silverish.

quaman58

Steve, must have missed this when you first posted. Very cool plant; mine is much smaller but I think I'll find a place for it after seeing yours!

MattyB

You're gonna have the fastest one Steve, with that Santee heat.

Stevetoad

Steve, I knew you guys in Santee got frost in April! :)

Seriously, it does look as if it's got frost on it. I just put one in this Spring, and it was completely green, but the new spear is silverish.

So glad my frosty nights are done with. This palm is a trip to see how fast it starts changing from dark olive green to silver. It's a pretty fast grower too!

Stevetoad

You're gonna have the fastest one Steve, with that Santee heat.

It's been growing all year but once a bit of heat started up it starts to haul butt. Can't wait to see how many leaves it spits out this summer.

DoomsDave

Oh, yeah, the Cognitive Dissonance Palm.

Auctioneer of Doom: "Here's a Brahea 'Super SIlver!'" Holding it aloft for the crowd to see.

Bidder of Terror: "Uh, excuse me."

AOD: "yes?"

BOT: "It's not silver. It's a lovely shade of green. Super Green maybe, but Silver, never."

It gets SO ANNOYING when people belabor the obvious . . . .

Now I can answer that. It will turn silver. WHen I saw this thread I ran out into the backyard and saw that mine turned silver too. Rode my burro through La Habra, shooting my pistol in the air!

Pictures to follow, in case you think our beloved Steve Toad is making up stories . . . . :)

Stevetoad

Oh, yeah, the Cognitive Dissonance Palm.

Auctioneer of Doom: "Here's a Brahea 'Super SIlver!'" Holding it aloft for the crowd to see.

Bidder of Terror: "Uh, excuse me."

AOD: "yes?"

BOT: "It's not silver. It's a lovely shade of green. Super Green maybe, but Silver, never."

It gets SO ANNOYING when people belabor the obvious . . . .

Now I can answer that. It will turn silver. Mine did! Pictures to follow, in case you think our beloved Steve Toad is making up stories . . . . :)

Let's see some more pics! Post away super Dave! :)

palmsnbananas

Lets see an update of the super silver, I have a super green super silver that's getting big now, I grew it from seed, I wan't to see the future!

Stevetoad

its grown a lot in the last year and a half. ill post a pic when i get home today.

Al in Kona

Our Brahea 'Super Silver' currently is almost 1m (3ft.) tall and you can see from the 3-pics below the degree of silver it presently has. The underside of the leaf is very silver. I'm anxious to see just how silver the upper side of the leaf will eventually become as the tree grows and matures. Genetic variability will likely play a part in making some of the B. 'Super Silver' more silver than others, I would think - time will tell.

post-90-0-44573600-1406933256_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-21857900-1406933282_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-18738800-1406933304_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

_Keith

Our Brahea 'Super Silver' currently is almost 1m (3ft.) tall and you can see from the 3-pics below the degree of silver it presently has. The underside of the leaf is very silver. I'm anxious to see just how silver the upper side of the leaf will eventually become as the tree grows and matures. Genetic variability will likely play a part in making some of the B. 'Super Silver' more silver than others, I would think - time will tell.

Now that is some silver, finally.

Stevetoad

Here it is as of 5 min ago

post-5835-0-96365800-1406944470_thumb.jp

Glenn levit for scale

post-5835-0-83309100-1406944517_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-71625500-1406944540_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-63663900-1406944566_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Sabal Steve

I planted a 5 gallon for my neighbor. It gets decent treatment. It lost about half (5?) of it's fronds since I planted it, but has stabilized, and stagnated, over the last few months. Trying to figure out how to water it in our clay soil. I can't run drip out there.

Stevetoad

Mine gets drip and sprinkler water from the lawn. I'm pretty sure you can't over water these.

Brahea Axel

Here it is as of 5 min ago

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Glenn levit for scale

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I need to do one of those screams of Doom, although if Dave saw this he'd do the same. That's the most beautiful super silver I have seen in cultivation so far.

Steve, this is mine below, how long do you think it will be before it gets to the size yours is? Right now it's at the three spears stage.

20140801_083651_zpsb7u18v7k.jpg

Stevetoad

Hard to say Axel. Mine gets a ton of heat and a ton of water. In your climate I'd expect it to be slower. As I'd expect it to be slower on the coast.

Brahea Axel

Hard to say Axel. Mine gets a ton of heat and a ton of water. In your climate I'd expect it to be slower. As I'd expect it to be slower on the coast.

When it comes to brahea, Santee is hard to beat. Still, since this one is from above 6,000 feet elevation high desert climates, I would hope it has the genetics to remain relatively fast even in cooler climates.

Stevetoad

Mine opens 2 spears at the same time now and that seems to mark when it really started to cook. So keep an eye out for twin spears. Yours looks like it's close to doing that

KennyRE317

whoa, that's getting to a pretty good size. mine's still super green but throws 2-3 spears consistently since I've planted it about 9 months ago. maybe I should water mine a bit more as it gets pretty minimal water