IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SELL SELL SELL

trioderob

Dean-

all I said was it was going to be Nutz.

never indicated up or down.

And as I said - the Futures were already "nutz" when you posted.

:lol: Looney Tunes :wacko:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

"This is the thread that never ends,

it goes on and on my friend.

Some people started reading it

not knowing what it was,

and they will keep reading it

forever just because,

This is the thread that never ends ... "

:wacko:

I think you have been eating too many cheese balls...

• 2 weeks later...

next fews days could be dramatic

we are near an all time high on the DOW.

at the same time there are some things brewing that could lead to a huge drop.

Italy is deadlocked - their bond rates could skyrocket - China has vowed to slow its growth today -

we do not know for sure if the dems and repub can work a deal and the market is priced for them to kick the can down the road.

this may not play out well.

anyone holding stocks at the wrong time these next 2 weeks could end up eating a "dog meat sandwich"

"That sort of stuff just doesn't jive with my philosophy on life man"

- Matty... :greenthumb:

Buy, Buy, Buy :yay:

Might be getting into melt up phase here, squeezing the shorts out. While I still see all policies in place for a healthy stock market, todays action seems more like a squeeze.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Might be getting into melt up phase here, squeezing the shorts out. While I still see all policies in place for a healthy stock market, todays action seems more like a squeeze.

I was thinking the same thing - feeling "toppy" here.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

What, no confidence in Uncle Benny's ability to create money out of thin air? The Dow is going up and up with no end in sight! I think Uncle Benny's keyboard is far more effective than a Genie in a Bottle's ability to grant wishes. Both the Genie in the Bottle and Uncle Benny's keyboard- printing out digital money not worth the paper it is not printed- are in fantasyland. Ah yes, the magic kingdom known as wallstreet.

What, no confidence in Uncle Benny's ability to create money out of thin air? The Dow is going up and up with no end in sight! I think Uncle Benny's keyboard is far more effective than a Genie in a Bottle's ability to grant wishes. Both the Genie in the Bottle and Uncle Benny's keyboard- printing out digital money not worth the paper it is not printed- are in fantasyland. Ah yes, the magic kingdom known as wallstreet.

So Vincent - where do you think is the wisest place to park one's money these days - if paper money is worthless? You sound like a "gold bug," but that asset sure has been acting strangely these days. I'm not sure that is the place to preserve any value at this time either.

Kona, on The Big Island

I am not qualified to give you an answer regarding where to invest money or how to make it. I had to sell all my cycads and many other material items, including gold jewelry in order to cover basics. I do not have a horse in the race. I am skeptical of the stock market but that is not stopping many people from making a lot of money.

There is no doubt the price of gold is down. Gold is the enemy of the central bank. The central banks- fed/imf/world bank/ecb/boj- are in control. What is the history of fiat money and central banks? Are we immune from historical forces? I can't answer that. Cyprus just had the gold fillings extracted from their teeth by the troika.

Would an Enephalartos woodii be valued as much as it is if it was as common as gratus? What would happen to the price of E. woodii if someone was able to tissue clone it and mass produce billions of E. woodii? Uncle Benny can mass produce dollars at the stroke of a key.

The dollar is a federal reserve note- the fed is a private bank. Our founding fathers were opposed to central banks. The income tax and the federal reserve were created in the same year. How did a privately owned bank gain so much power? Who does it serve?

So Vincent - where do you think is the wisest place to park one's money these days - if paper money is worthless? You sound like a "gold bug," but that asset sure has been acting strangely these days. I'm not sure that is the place to preserve any value at this time either.

Gold bugs got spattered on my windshield today. I have never been one so yes I missed the big move up, and down as well. Years of studying algorithms to trade gold never came up with anything of value.

Jupiter FL

Gold bugs got spattered on my windshield today. I have never been one so yes I missed the big move up, and down as well. Years of studying algorithms to trade gold never came up with anything of value.

Maybe something to do with that "mistake" made over there at the Fed that released the meeting info about 20 hours ahead of schedule to the largest banks in the world? :rolleyes:

Gold took a bigger kerplunk! The fact that the DOW did not skyrocket is perplexing and perhaps alarming. It is one of two things:

1. Massive selling. Major market correction ahead, even serious. VIX vertical. Run for the hills as Jim Rogers says.

2. The Fed is showing who is boss. The fed, now that it has everyone's attention, really starts to print. Artificial suppression of gold- everyone bows to the dollar, Benny has a donut.

or option 3:

3. I should go back to watering my palms.

Rob are you in or out? stocks are down today but buy and hold is way up over the past 4 years and this year. Something like 140% and 8%.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

buy and hold is up huge in 4 years

the catch is that you needed to be out in the beginiing when it dropped 67 % to 666 spx

i got burned yesterday and held on.

many times a bombing will mark a bottom in the market.

brings the negativilty to a peak.

would not surprise me if it happens that way again.

also the fed is going to be pumping like crazy in APRIL - (POMO)

Edited by trioderob

APPLE is headed into the abyss and has brought down the whole market.

i think Apple will reprice into a lower range where it will trade for years.

Samsung has mopped the floor with them.................

Edited by trioderob

post-1729-0-74748300-1366235823_thumb.jp

"Snatch the pebble from my hand Grasshopper"

Yep - got stopped out again on AAPL. Down 6% total of those trades now. :( May try one more time if it makes it down to $380. Definitely should find a bottom there with the dividend and cash on hand.

Took a position shorting bonds this week with TBT.

Kona, on The Big Island

Boy I wish all my guesses where this good, and yes, they are just guesses.

Jupiter FL

Yep - got stopped out again on AAPL. Down 6% total of those trades now. :( May try one more time if it makes it down to $380. Definitely should find a bottom there with the dividend and cash on hand.

Took a position shorting bonds this week with TBT.

Thats a brave one, while I love TBT and have used it many times, the present conditions just don't work for me. When the bonds trade above their 250 day moving average I'm not shorting them, but I did buy apple today,see how that works out.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

"but I did buy apple today,see how that works out."

why are you guys so in love with APPLE ????

its down another 3 1/2 % today and may be headed into the abyss

Rob,

Do you own any (many) Apple products?

Kona, on The Big Island

I don't think " headed into the abyss" is a likely scenario, I'm buying for the long run and see value here, I'll add more if market as a whole doesn't sell off in the next couple of days/weeks, which is looking more likely then not.

Jupiter FL

I don't think " headed into the abyss" is a likely scenario, I'm buying for the long run and see value here, I'll add more if market as a whole doesn't sell off in the next couple of days/weeks, which is looking more likely then not.
Earnings on the 23rd will be an interesting day.

Kona, on The Big Island

looks like apple flushed this morning - down another 1 1/2 % and has come back into the green

that may have been it for Apple.

Dean-

yes I like Apple products . does not mean its a good stock to buy. I like rib eye steak also -but if its $35 a lb........................................

Apple is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. Just last quarter they made more money than an company has ever made in one quarter in the history of the world. They have no debt and 140 billion in cash. They are priced at 9 times earnings which is very cheap for a company making so much money. They are projected to grow at 30% a year. If they grow at all even 4-5% a year this is a great investment right now. Other than the stock price going down irrationally I don't see much not to like.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Dean-

yes I like Apple products . does not mean its a good stock to buy. I like rib eye steak also -but if its $35 a lb........................................

I understand - I was just wondering if your "dislike" of Apple here was that you didn't really like the products. I admit it, I am an Apple "fan boy." I haven't had to reboot any of my computers in years. I live on my iPod and have had 6 of them. And my iPhone is trouble free - and does way more stuff than I need. And the camera is still the best on the market. I haven't pulled out my camcorder of DSLR since I got the iPhone 5.

So, I have to be careful that I am not overly influenced by my affection for the products - just as I was fishing to see if you weren't the reverse. But you didn't answer the question. How many Apple products have you owned and used?

Kona, on The Big Island

I am not an Apple fan. Just from a consumer aspect.

I can't think of anything negative to say about Apple products except price. But they sure manage to get a profit margin unheard of in other industries.
  • Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean-

I have a first gen IPOD touch and one of the super mini nano's.

the thing that I am not seeing is the following:

what is their vision for the future ????

Edited by trioderob

Dean-

I have a first gen IPOD touch and one of the super mini nano's.

the thing that I am not seeing is the following:

what is their vision for the future ????

That's a very good question. But if you would have asked me that several years ago, I would have said a phone and a tablet. But nobody had any idea they would totally revolutionize both - just as they did the music industry.

So if you read Jobs biography, one of the things he commented on before his death was that they "cracked" TV. They could buy Netflix and Direct TV and have content and satellite access to a huge market. Get the networks on board and bye-bye TV as we know it. So we will see. Imagine an iTV Store along the lines of the iTunes store.

In addition, there are rumors about your phone becoming a total package for buying everything. I hear there are Apple Stores where you can walk in, pick up the products you want and walk out - and everything is automatically detected and billed to you. They have enough cash to buy a bank and set up a whole system that would bypass the credit and debit card industry. There are billions of dollars of profit there. And because of the security and tight integration of their platform, that is something that might be hard for Android to copy and set up.

But I don't know - there is definitely more competition from the copy cats these days. And I don't see an iWatch as anything I could use. But we'll see, I'm not the executive type. I could never wear one - I would destroy it in a day's work immediately.

But in today's economy/market, just give me a secure 5% dividend with a chance at some growth and I'll take it.

Kona, on The Big Island

I'm an apple backer, but not super jazzed on the iwatch, if indeed such a thing is in the works. Folks under 30 only wear watches for fashion, most do not own a watch.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Apple is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. Just last quarter they made more money than an company has ever made in one quarter in the history of the world. They have no debt and 140 billion in cash. They are priced at 9 times earnings which is very cheap for a company making so much money. They are projected to grow at 30% a year. If they grow at all even 4-5% a year this is a great investment right now. Other than the stock price going down irrationally I don't see much not to like.

"the stock price is going down irrationally"

no its not -by making that statement you are saying that you know more about Apple than the collective knowledge of traders around the world.

the problem is that you DONT know more