IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

WHAT I WOKE UP TO THIS MORNING

BobbyinNY

I couldn't believe my eyes......... This is just ridiculous.... I don't ever remember cold like this...

post-57-1169817126_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby-

How the did temps in your various palm condos hold up?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bobby-

They struggled, Larry.... but managed to stay above Freezing.

PalmScraper - Protecting Pychtosperma Elegans,    38.9f

DomeHouse - Protecting  P. Roebelleni,    45.2f

Biosphere    - Protecting Cocos, Royal, Washies, Dypsis,  Citrus, Bananas, etc   50.1f

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Those are pretty impressive greenhouse temps, considering the 7.9F outside. That is brutal cold.

Are those kind of temps forecast to linger? Hopefully not.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 26 2007,08:38)

Bobby-

They struggled, Larry.... but managed to stay above Freezing.

PalmScraper - Protecting Pychtosperma Elegans,    38.9f

DomeHouse - Protecting  P. Roebelleni,    45.2f

Biosphere    - Protecting Cocos, Royal, Washies, Dypsis,  Citrus, Bananas, etc   50.1f

Id say they did an unbelievable job Bobby!

If that was my yard, I would not have even wasted covering any of those palms/plants at your lowest reading of 38.9F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bobby,

Those are pretty impressive greenhouse temps, considering the 7.9F outside. That is brutal cold.

Are those kind of temps forecast to linger? Hopefully not.

Roger

No, Larry... this was a one-shot deal... Back up to around 40 by tomorrrow with night temps around 28f (our normal winter temps), but we're supposed to get another cold-shot on Monday - not as low as this one though... This broke all kinds of records......  I guess this is the year of Weirdness... First Cali, now us, Snow in New Mexico... I sure hope you guys aren't next... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Id say they did an unbelievable job Bobby!

If that was my yard, I would not have even wasted covering any of those palms/plants at your lowest reading of 38.9F.

Larry,

The heater I have in my biosphere (biggest of the bunch) is a powerhouse 220-volt, 30,000btu heater.. In the other enclosures I just have small 1500-watt space heaters - but last night I had 4 of them running at full-blast in the PalmScraper..... I must've been drawing close to 150amps from my breaker box...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

ALL HAIL TO BOBBY AND THE PALMSCAPER!!!!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bobby, the temps in your enclosures have well and truly kept your palms in the clear. As someone else said, if those species were in the open with the temps recorded in the enclosures they'd not even notice the cold that much at all. Do the temps get close to 70F during the day, cos if they do, you'll probably get some sort of growth thru the winter.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bobby, the temps in your enclosures have well and truly kept your palms in the clear. As someone else said, if those species were in the open with the temps recorded in the enclosures they'd not even notice the cold that much at all. Do the temps get close to 70F during the day, cos if they do, you'll probably get some sort of growth thru the winter.

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I've been getting a ton of growth in my Biosphere.. we get alot of sun here in the winter and the temps usually (when the sun is out) hover between 82-88f in there.... Everything is growing.  usually (during our normal winter temps) the night temps don't go much below 60f in all of the enclosures so it stays nice and toasty, but this 36-hour deep freeze really put my heaters to the test.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

That's nasty cold! When i start with exotics almost 4 years ago i have never feel that cold ... I'm feeling only that tempeture here, but then i must on a winter vacantion :)

Last night was the lowest -2,1C/28.4 F But when i was woke up it was already above the 32 F .. So last night was the last one from the cold period from 5 days ... The don't expect frost tonight for here ... we get again the very mild weather type again, for one week that's for sure ... they say maybe from half februari we get a cold snap again!

Robbin

Southwest

they say maybe from half februari we get a cold snap again!

Robbin

Yeah, February can deliver a Nasty cold-snap too.....  We don't usually get brutal cold in February we get the snowstorms... Right now is our coldest period... After the next week or so, it'll start to warm up...

But, I have a feeling everyone all over the globe is gonna get some form of this nastiness....  It started in New Mexico, then California, Came here, and I don't know where it's going next.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 26 2007,10:53)

they say maybe from half februari we get a cold snap again!

Robbin

Yeah, February can deliver a Nasty cold-snap too.....  

Bobby,

February ... i hate this month the most ... this can be here the coldest month normally! ... But the winter is here so far so strange and so mild ...

I have got a cold period here, if yous ee what i have got ... that's nothing ... Normally it can be so more cold ... I have see a little snow today but it was melted in 2 hours ...  

We broke record after record ... and also this januari can be the warmest month in 300 years ... :S All the records that we have broken are almost everthing heat records ...

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin,

We've been breaking records all winter long also... 2 saturdays ago it was 73f here... UNTIL........ Today.. Now I play devils advocate.... Up until today we were a USDA 9b.... We're supposed to be a 7a, but even with this frigid cold-snap, according to the USDA zone charts, we're a 7b (5-10f min)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 26 2007,11:12)

Robbin,

We've been breaking records all winter long also... 2 saturdays ago it was 73f here... UNTIL........ Today.. Now I play devils advocate.... Up until today we were a USDA 9b.... We're supposed to be a 7a, but even with this frigid cold-snap, according to the USDA zone charts, we're a 7b (5-10f min)

Hi...

Yeah that was the strange thing about it ... also here we have seen attention about the heat in New york ... and now it's freaky freezing in new york ...

The say for Here USDA zone 8b i think ... the last 2 winters i have been Usda zone 9a, if i have see what i have got this winter so far i'm still in a Zone 9b after this week ...

I was in a zone 10a to last sunday ... :)

Robbin

Southwest

Posted on: Jan. 26 2007,11:31        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robbin,

Hi...

Yeah that was the strange thing about it ... also here we have seen attention about the heat in New york ... and now it's freaky freezing in new york ...

The say for Here USDA zone 8b i think ... the last 2 winters i have been Usda zone 9a, if i have see what i have got this winter so far i'm still in a Zone 9b after this week ...

I was in a zone 10a to last sunday ...

Yeah, but Robbin.... Seriously, that's a bit of a fantasy because while you might not have gotten down lower than a minimum for zone 10a, your daytime temps are nowhere NEAR what a zone 10a is.  I think the heat that you get during the day is probably just as important as the minimums....    If a plant is constantly stressed with cool & soggy temps, it could perish anyway.. Maybe not as fast as a sudden cold-snap (ie: SoCal), but it's not gonna grow and thrive like in a true 10a climate like South-Central Florida.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 26 2007,11:41)

Posted on: Jan. 26 2007,11:31        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robbin,

Hi...

I was in a zone 10a to last sunday ...

Yeah, but Robbin.... Seriously, that's a bit of a fantasy because while you might not have gotten down lower than a minimum for zone 10a, your daytime temps are nowhere NEAR what a zone 10a is.  I think the heat that you get during the day is probably just as important as the minimums....    If a plant is constantly stressed with cool & soggy temps, it could perish anyway.. Maybe not as fast as a sudden cold-snap (ie: SoCal), but it's not gonna grow and thrive like in a true 10a climate like South-Central Florida.

Hi Bobby,

You're right ...! I say zone 9a but i can't plant here the palms that the people have from a zone 9a in USA.

If yous ee people from texas have washingtonia and are zone 7 and that kind of zones, it's hard to let them grow here without protection in a zone where i am ... :)

So i know the usda zones say nothing for here :) But it sounds sooo good :) But you're right i know :)

Robbin

Southwest

Ok,

I just went home for lunch and checked on all my enclosures... It's AMAZING what the sun can do... Everything is nice and toasty now even though it's only 20f outside..

post-57-1169831614_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(Exotic Life @ Jan. 26 2007,11:57)

So i know the usda zones say nothing for here :) But it sounds sooo good :) But you're right i know :)

Robbin

Robbin,

I'm not sure USDA zones say a WHOLE lot, for here in the states! :laugh:

Bobby,

Looks like those heaters and protection saved the day!!!

But I'm glad I don't have your electric bill this month!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Looks like those heaters and protection saved the day!!!

But I'm glad I don't have your electric bill this month!

Yeah, I'm trying to sell it on E-bay...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

That's mighty cold brother.  It was 43F here this morning.  By a few degrees, the coldest reading of the winter so far.  I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That's mighty cold brother.  It was 43F here this morning.  By a few degrees, the coldest reading of the winter so far.  I'm looking forward to next weekend

Yeah, me too bro.. I've never been to Tampa before and I'm psyched. I'll give you a call next week and let you know all the details...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Good deal on keeping the heat in your structures. We got down to  15.8 in my yard but my little heater only kept the temp in the hoop house at 32.5. During the daytime 1:10 PM  it was 88.3, our high today was only 37.. brrrr .   Although in 1945 it  was only -(minus) 11  so I feel good about  today's coldest day  this year

Are you driving down to Tampa?  Because I say if you need  to stretch your legs about 6-10 hrs into your trip (depending on the DC traffic)  I am  right off of I 295 at the Pole Green Rd. exit. I paid $1.94 for gas today on my way to 295 from home  and it keeps going down., PM me if you would like to stop by, if not no big deal.  I know how it is  on a road trip .

Jim

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

Wow, Bobby, you have my sympathy on the 7.9F -- I can't believe how fast weather can change, in a matter of hours from balmy to arctic.  Nature is cruel.  I agree, what in the world will happen next.

You'll have to let us know what the bill tallies this month.  Ouch.  But that Ptychosperma is going to look oh so good at your new abode, surrounded by all your wife's new wild critters....

I'll bet she gets you back, trading the old heat bill for new critter food bills....

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Bobby,

Good deal on keeping the heat in your structures. We got down to  15.8 in my yard but my little heater only kept the temp in the hoop house at 32.5. During the daytime 1:10 PM  it was 88.3, our high today was only 37.. brrrr .   Although in 1945 it  was only -(minus) 11  so I feel good about  today's coldest day  this year

Are you driving down to Tampa?  Because I say if you need  to stretch your legs about 6-10 hrs into your trip (depending on the DC traffic)  I am  right off of I 295 at the Pole Green Rd. exit. I paid $1.94 for gas today on my way to 295 from home  and it keeps going down., PM me if you would like to stop by, if not no big deal.  I know how it is  on a road trip .

Jim

Jim,

thanks so much for the invite... No, I'm actually flying down to Tampa on Friday - no time to drive.   I will, however be driving down in April, and I definitely would love to stop and visit for a few. Thanks again..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

You'll have to let us know what the bill tallies this month.  Ouch.  But that Ptychosperma is going to look oh so good at your new abode, surrounded by all your wife's new wild critters....

I'll bet she gets you back, trading the old heat bill for new critter food bills....

Kathy, I'm SURE you're right.... I'm gonna pay heavily for "twisting her arm" to move to Florida.. I'm sure she'll always play  the: "I did it for you, now do for me" card.... oh well... such is life :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We also had our coldest night for some time last night, since the beginning of November, in fact.  I checked the temperature in my car when I was on my break at work, 2:00-2:30a.m. and it said -4.5°C/23.9°F, but when I left work at 6:00a.m. it was back up to 1°C/34°F.  The car reading is generally not very accurate though and I suspect it didn't actually fall below -3°C/27°F and the lowest temperature in my polytunnel was 21.8°C/71.2°F, which is not as low as it occasionally gets with very windy conditions when it is a lot milder.

Congratulations on your protection results Bobby, heated enclosures is the only way to go for those kind of results.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I awoke to 19F this morning. Of course, I'm in the mountains of Big Bear. No palms here. Only skiing.

It's been in the 70s at my house in SD the past few days. The nasty cold weather coming up in the next few weeks shouldn't affect us here in SoCal. Time to start thinking of spring and the dreams of a new pandanus and possibly a nice tall wodyetiaXveitchia.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Bobby,

The cold in New York was had pretty good coverage on the Brazilian evening TV news.  I hadn't paid much attention to weather up there for a while.  Glad to see that your plant houses worked well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I've also had my coldest night last night so far, -6C (21.2F).

Bobby, your advantage is that at your latitude (40N) spring arrives sooner that for most of us Europeans living further north (me at 48N and the Dutch or English even further up).

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

(Exotic Life @ Jan. 26 2007,11:57)

If yous ee people from texas have washingtonia and are zone 7 and that kind of zones, it's hard to let them grow here without protection in a zone where i am ... :)

Robbin

Robbin, I don't think there are too many Washingonias growing in zone 7 parts of Texas.  About 80% of TX is either zone 8 or 9.  With zone 10 limited to extreme south TX, and zone 7 limited to the panhandle.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say there isn't any Washingtonias in zone 7 (panhandle/west TX) Texas without protection.  Usually a good dividing point for cold hardy palms is I-20, although I am certain Washy Filifera can be grown quite a bit north of that (probably to the Oklahoma border along the red river).  

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm