IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPAC Club House, meet here for fun and to think out loud!

Ken Johnson

Welcome!

This thread is designed to establish a place where we can meet to talk about PalmTalk and the IPS.

IPAC membership is granted free to anyone that wants to join. We have several members now and we have already made a huge difference for PalmTalk. Last year we helped find members and their stories of how they became members of IPS through finding PalmTalk (PT) online. We presented those stories to the Board of Directors at their meeting in Thailand and help to convince them of the value of PalmTalk to the IPS. After the full presentation of motions to further fund PalmTalk the votes came easily in favor!

_Wal, a fine member from Australia, is in fact interviewing a member now about how he found this place. I have seen some of it and it is very interesting. For sure you will all feel a common bond with Josh.

Now the rest of the members of IPAC will check in a little at a time and tell you more about our efforts. One quick thing. We are a virtual committee. Not assigned by anyone. Our purpose is to help and to have some fun along the way. Please join us for those purposes only. Thanks!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Interview with Josh

220px-1859-Martinique.web.jpg

Q. When you see a mature grown coconut palm tree, maybe in a photo, or in a TV show or movie or in fact seeing the real deal somewhere, what is it about that plant that interests you, what thoughts spring to mind?

Josh: This is going to sound a bit corny, but it does conjure up some sort of notion of tropical islands, coral beaches and the sound of crashing waves. It brings to mind a simpler, less stressful life than that which most of us live in these days. Going a little deeper, it could arguably be some sort of genetic human memory of previous generations but I'm fully aware that this is taking me into the realms of lunacy!!

1_newlogo.png

Q. How did you find this forum and why did you enter to join as a member ?

Josh: I had been a member of other forums - namely the European Palm Society - and saw a link to a thread on the PalmTalk forum. After browsing several threads I signed up as I could see straightaway that it was a valuable resource of information and a solid online community.

13122-004-42FD99C0.jpg

Q. What is it about the area you live that you enjoy most?

Josh: I like London's proximity to so many other European destinations. It's great to be able to be in Paris, Rome, Barcelona etc. in a couple of hours. In terms of my immediate surroundings, Kew Gardens is just a 7-minute bus ride (or 25 minute walk) away which is a real bonus.

London as a whole has yet to fully embrace palms in public places but it is getting better. There are plenty of examples of Trachycarpus fortuneii but Phoenix canariensis and Chamaerops humilis are becoming increasingly common.

Thanks Josh , you know most of the palm tree people I know have that streak of romanticism in them, so there's no lunacy in your thoughts on those visions of Cocus nucifera, no sir.

Q. So, whilst living in London has it limitations in what species you can grow, are there any species you are considering to acquire that you believe may be pushing the boundaries and are they easy enough to obtain ?

Q. Quick question, in regard to your location near Kew gardens, do you know of the former head of palm research there, Doctor John Dransfield ?

Q. I have some friends who have moved to the london district from Australia and those reasons of yours are why they love working and living in that proximity on the planet. If you were able to move to anywhere else on the planet, with a view to progress your palm tree interests, where would you move to ?

Q. Do you know many others with a similar interest in palm trees around London town, is there anybody on Palmtalk you know ?

Q. What are some of your favourite palm tree species ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

So while trying to recruit more members on another palm forum i regularly visit, i came across some interesting points of view about Palmtalk. This may be kinda obvious but many people are discouraged to use this site due to its "tropical" focus. The members of this other forum are mostly "zone pushers" and might feel they dont belong in discussions here.

I think a good way to attract more of these cold palm people would be to create a separate section on Palmtalk perhaps for northern/southern zone pushers.

idk it seems there are so many of these cold palm people on sites like palmnorth, growingontheedge, gardenweb, etc that could be on Palmtalk.

just my non cents

• Like 1

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

So while trying to recruit more members on another palm forum i regularly visit, i came across some interesting points of view about Palmtalk. This may be kinda obvious but many people are discouraged to use this site due to its "tropical" focus. The members of this other forum are mostly "zone pushers" and might feel they dont belong in discussions here.

I think a good way to attract more of these cold palm people would be to create a separate section on Palmtalk perhaps for northern/southern zone pushers.

idk it seems there are so many of these cold palm people on sites like palmnorth, growingontheedge, gardenweb, etc that could be on Palmtalk.

just my non cents

From my many years here, I can say that viewpoint is right on the money. Oh, and I tried twice to get a cold hardy section, and was "shot down in flames."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Eric - thanks for your feedback. This has been a topic before. And what we came up with is that we didn't want to do what ends up happening to many Forums - fragmenting into many sub-forums, thereby fragmenting into separate groups as well. Why not Tropical, Sub-Tropical, Temperate, and Cold Hardy Forums? The interests overlap, as fertilizers, pests, germination, soil info, etc. are not all that unique to zones.

We certainly have done nothing to discourage any zone from posting - in fact we actively welcome one and all. But if that impression is had by some, that is not good. But if you include all the Californians, North Floridians, non-tropical Aussies - I would say there is an overwhelming focus on areas other than tropical zones - they are all zone pushers. We have an entire forum dedicated to Freeze Data - not very tropical oriented. I think it may be just a point of view, as personally I don't think there is enough tropical people posting. :)

What we did before was to create icons that designated a cooler zone post, a temperate zone post, and a tropical zone post. But no one used them. Now there is the option of tagging topics to sub categorize them. Perhaps people could use them to categorize posts dealing with different zones. But I would have to say that it would be my preference to include everyone in the same "room," rather than separated into a different "rooms." Maybe in the same room, with a dance floor, but at different tables. :) But if someone has any suggestions as to how to make zone pushers feel more welcome, I am all ears - because they certainly are welcome here.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Attention members:

We need to do a chat room promotion. Any ideas?

How about some oxygen?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Josh Interview continues..........................

Q. So, whilst living in London has it limitations in what species you can grow, are there any species you are considering to acquire that you believe may be pushing the boundaries and are they easy enough to obtain ?

Trachycarpus fortunei/wagnerianus and Chamaerops are fairly easy to grow in most parts of London and as a result are relatively widespread. I've noticed an increasing amount of large Phoenix canariensis specimens - mostly in the central areas of London - which gives some sort of indication to the boundaries that we are working with here. In the outer suburbs of London, P. canariensis may well live for several years and get fairly large but one of our cold winters will probably damage them quite badly and if we get several bad winters in a row that can finish them off.

Butias are becoming a little more widely used in London and seem to survive the winters better than P. canariensis. I would imagine in the next decade there will be some very large specimens visible in public areas which will fuel interest in these palms. Same for Jubaea chilensis which are perfectly hardy in central London. The Chelsea Physic Garden has a large J. chilensis which is trunking and has seen off the last few cold winters without problems.

Washingtonias are becoming an increasingly popular plant here and it seems to me that if you can get them through the first few winters, they are incredibly hardy once the trunk has formed. In central London there are some which are now trunking and they receive no protection during winter so it’s amazing to see a fairly reliably hardy fan palm which is pretty fast once it gets going. The good thing with these palms is that even if they are completely defoliated in a bad winter, they can re-grow a whole crown of leaves in the following year.

I know this is already a long answer, but I think Sabals and Braheas should be tried more in some of the warmer microclimates of London. The cold is not really the issue in this area but the lack of a defined hot period in summer. In warm microclimates in London I’m hopeful that some Sabals and Braheas would grow well.

Q. Quick question, in regard to your location near Kew gardens, do you know of the former head of palm research there, Doctor John Dransfield ?

No I don't, but the EPS (European Palm Society) is having a meet-up at Kew in early June so maybe he'll be there?

Q. I have some friends who have moved to the london district from Australia and those reasons of yours are why they love working and living in that proximity on the planet. If you were able to move to anywhere else on the planet, with a view to progress your palm tree interests, where would you move to ?

Well I actually plan to spend a lot more time in Mexico City in the future. I’m halfway through a degree so when I finish that in a couple of years I’ll have more time to travel. I’ve visited many times and am always surprised at the lack of palm diversity in the city given that so many fantastic palms can be grown there. I think with the high levels of sunshine, lack of frost and plentiful water, the climate in Mexico City will be good for growing many palms but time will tell… ask me in ten years!

Q. Do you know many others with a similar interest in palm trees around London town, is there anybody on Palmtalk you know ?

I haven’t really met many people through the forums but as I mentioned above I’ll be going to the EPS meeting in June so I hope to meet more of the community then. I met a nice guy called Darren from Bristol through the EPS forum but that’s a few hours to the west of London.

Q. What are some of your favourite palm tree species ?

That is one tough question! I have a soft spot for Brahea armata, Arenga engleri, many Chamaedorea species… the list goes on! I’m really keen to get my hands on some Parajubaeas too!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

And here is a final set of questions for Josh. let me say how fair and reasonable and honest you have been Josh, thank you and I hope all who have the interview have enjoyed it.

• What have you found on PalmTalk that attracts you ?
  • Have you / do you use the search engine here ?
  • Have you found resources for acquiring/receiving palms and seeds from this forum ?
  • Do you know how to post videos and can you make some videos of the palms in London for us ?
  • What do people back at home, including friends, family and work mates think of your passion for palm trees ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This is a bit difficult. I agree with Eric. About the cold-hardy people.The main part of this forum is tropical and about tropical palms etc. I grow the cold hardy palms...but there are just a few i can grow. I can talk about it but i can imagine when the tropical palm people see my snow pics for the 3th time that they will think...yes sure...we know youre trachy can handle this please dont post again!

There are not many people from Europe i think. There should be a lot more of them..Exchange experiences about the cold hardy ones because a lot of the European have to deal with it.

But there is a lot of competition on the European front. Like growing on the edge and EPS forum. These forums are the more cold hardy forums and for a lot of European more interesting i think. So IPS needs to do something to get these people on the IPS forum and become a member..(i am also member of the GOTE and the EPS)

For now...i keep enjoying the IPS forum and the people (ips-members) and i will spread the word...so hopefully we will get a lot of new members.. :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb::D

There are not many people from Europe i think. There should be a lot more of them..Exchange experiences about the cold hardy ones because a lot of the European have to deal with it.

But there is a lot of competition on the European front. Like growing on the edge and EPS forum. These forums are the more cold hardy forums and for a lot of European more interesting i think. So IPS needs to do something to get these people on the IPS forum and become a member..(i am also member of the GOTE and the EPS)

I belive U remember same discussion on EPS few months ago and I stick to my theory about language barrier. Even on EPS most posters are from native english language areas and most others are lets say a bit shy. Thats not going to change.

I can say many Palm enthusiasts are lurkers here on daily bases and they all track IPS on high altitude, have experience and have something to show but they will just not post or join.

2cents of moa ;)

:greenthumb:

Fully agree with Ante,put it straight perfectly. I am reading much more than I am posting. But I am far away to understand every single phrase among the native speakers. However, I am happy to be a member of this forum. nod.gif

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Same for me, english and english can be different, I am used to indian-srilankan english, sometimes I am lost with american language!

But Trachycarpus and snow are fine and I admire the passion and energy europeans like dutch and german friends put in growing palms indoor (Hi NEMI !!!) or under the snow! (Hi Trachy! )

I need to dream with my jungle in Sri Lanka, it's why I show you so many pics, but I am in Europe, very happy to see a Brahea, not only Actinorhytis!

Love!

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

smilie_op_031.gif

Exactly, Philippe, that´s it. I think its a great thing that so many nations come together and talk together, not only about palms but sometimes about their lives and problems, wishes and dreams. It is quite more than someone can expect. Just my 5 cents from german.gif.

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

The directors are emailing about some changes...stand by. This may be very exciting.

The palm world is becoming more popular than ever thanks to the internet. PalmTalk represents on of the most unique educational tools in the palm world. Not only can we learn but we can learn from other PEOPLE. This place makes it fun to learn about palms.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Yup Ken,

IMO, Palmtalk is by far the best resource for new and moderately experienced palm enthusiasts to learn critical information about gardening many candidate palm species in various climates from the desert to the tropics. And no doubt for many, including me, it represents the best access to obtaining new species and specimens for their gardens... And for the zone pushers, there is no better information than the freeze section, you get cold tolerance information from a number of different climates: dry, wet, mediterranean, california( very complex, has its own category...)... Want to understand fertilization requirements for species in your area? You can find experienced local gardeners to help here. And you cant beat the postings and interactive discussions with highly experienced growers -20, 30, 40+ years experience- that are possible here....

But I dont have to tell you any of this Ken.... but new members and lurkers should be aware of the information possibilities...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Now we're talking...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yes Ken,

But when my srilankan friend Kasun saw the postman bringing him the last issue of "Palms" in his jungle, he called me telling he got a letter from USA! Better than reading online ( which I can't anyway!)
It's same for me, I am living in "a far away place" in Switzerland and have been so happy to see Palms in my letter-box!

As you know I am also found of Palmtalk, but a little afraid of the chat-room (english language, use of Chat room...)

Best regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Phillipe,

You should join in on the chatroom. Your english is just fine. Many of us english speakers dont even speak well let alone write well lol. The more the merrier! :D

- Eric Arneson

I have seen many languages spoken in the chat room. It is cool a heck to be able to learn some words!

Так что - можно по-русски?

I have seen many languages spoken in the chat room. It is cool a heck to be able to learn some words!

Так что - можно по-русски?

Yes can be in Russian!

It is very easy to translate with Google. Press the drop down for 'More"

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Yes Ken,

But when my srilankan friend Kasun saw the postman bringing him the last issue of "Palms" in his jungle, he called me telling he got a letter from USA! Better than reading online ( which I can't anyway!)

It's same for me, I am living in "a far away place" in Switzerland and have been so happy to see Palms in my letter-box!

As you know I am also found of Palmtalk, but a little afraid of the chat-room (english language, use of Chat room...)

Best regards

Philippe

Please join us in the chatroom...youre English is great!

looking for cheap thrills and kicks? look no further than the chatroom here on PalmTalk.

tonights entertainment- Cat Breading.

Ken Johnson's cat Cel staring in this glamour shot.

IMAG3005_zps46491aa8.jpg

- Eric Arneson

Considering there are many cold hardy forums I couldn't agree more that the IPS should add that section to our forums to attract those users. It really is a different world from the more sub tropical - tropical world.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Considering there are many cold hardy forums I couldn't agree more that the IPS should add that section to our forums to attract those users. It really is a different world from the more sub tropical - tropical world.

I'm keeping an open mind and can bring it up again with the PT Committee. But I'm curious - suppose someone starts a topic in "Discussing Palms" on Brahea, Trachycarpus, or Washingtonia - should topics about cold hardy genera be moved to the Cold Hardy Forum?

I'm keeping an open mind and can bring it up again with the PT Committee. But I'm curious - suppose someone starts a topic in "Discussing Palms" on Brahea, Trachycarpus, or Washingtonia - should topics about cold hardy genera be moved to the Cold Hardy Forum?

Dean, I think people would be smart enough to figure it out where to post. What little cross posting you get wouldnt be anymore then what happens now with travel, etc..

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm not such an advocate for a cold hardy palm section, I fear it would be breaking up the amazing all round forum that currently exists. Am I biased because I don't live in a temperate climate zone ? No, I just don't want any more fragments, the whole idea in the first place was to have an all season, all international, all palm species forum that brings us all together. I take my hat off to Ken for starting this thread, it is producing some real friendly discussions, cool thoughts and ideas.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hey Dean we could always give a cold hardy section a try. If it starts to fragment the over all community too much than you can just cancel it.

Maybe we could use it as a way to lure in cold hardy palm folks and once we get enough we can close it? like a trap! :evil:

- Eric Arneson

Dean, I think people would be smart enough to figure it out where to post. What little cross posting you get wouldnt be anymore then what happens now with travel, etc..

So, if someone asks me where to post pics of their Braheas and Butias, what do I tell them? In other words, when should a topic about Braheas and Butias go in a cold hardy forum? If it's just pics, where should it go? If it's about pests, fertilizing, or transplanting? Or is it only when it's about climatic concerns? Or should any and all topics about cold hardy genera go in a Cold Hardy Forum?

I have submitted the consideration to the PT committee, but I'm sure this question will be raised in any discussion.

ok dont hate me for this lol but i think its better to have a seperate cold hardy party. Now the cold hardy palm discussions drown between all the tropical palm parts.

I agree with Wal about not getting more fragments, but why not put some parts together?

Like Affiliate news and meeting dates and the IPS biennial

or Garden galleries and travellogs

and how about memorials...thats a off topics thing i guess...

i think you can get more cold hardy people by showing a section of it and put one of the others together.

But that is just what i think...

My two cents...

I think it's better keeping everything together and I agree that having a separate section for cold-hardy plants would be too difficult to administer. When someone in Northern Florida talks about cold-hardy palms and someone in England talks about cold-hardy palms they are two entirely different sets of rules so it would only lead to confusion.