IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Members Roll Call, Lets all check in and say hi?

Ken Johnson

Greetings from balmy Omaha, NE!

I'm currently dealing with a R.rivularis with all the old leaves browning fast. Considering the water tolerance I'm thinking root-bound. Could it be lack of light? (been a bit dark this winter) Its ever so slightly younger/smaller twin is thriving 5 feet away, while this one is perhaps on the very edge of showing some trunk. (assuming I stop the brown out)

Also, a collection of 8-10 new species I got from my last walk-about in a Florida neighborhood, all germinated and slowly pushing out shoots.

My freebies from Costa Rica have all sprouted and are hanging on so far, if slow to rise. The seedlings from Australia continue to survive despite their mistaken identity as cat-salad. I hope to actually see what the leave look like when full and unbitten.

Lastly, I now have bananas growing in the office of my new job, along with the seedlings I rescued so far from the cat-saladbar.

Perhaps some photos in the near future, I need to take a census of the survivors of this winter after a move to a new house last year and spending most of this winter in the basement under grow-lights.

-Erik

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I'm currently dealing with a R.rivularis with all the old leaves browning fast. Considering the water tolerance I'm thinking root-bound. Could it be lack of light? (been a bit dark this winter) Its ever so slightly younger/smaller twin is thriving 5 feet away, while this one is perhaps on the very edge of showing some trunk. (assuming I stop the brown out)

Also, a collection of 8-10 new species I got from my last walk-about in a Florida neighborhood, all germinated and slowly pushing out shoots.

My freebies from Costa Rica have all sprouted and are hanging on so far, if slow to rise. The seedlings from Australia continue to survive despite their mistaken identity as cat-salad. I hope to actually see what the leave look like when full and unbitten.

Lastly, I now have bananas growing in the office of my new job, along with the seedlings I rescued so far from the cat-saladbar.

Perhaps some photos in the near future, I need to take a census of the survivors of this winter after a move to a new house last year and spending most of this winter in the basement under grow-lights.

-Erik

Omaha?!! Thought you were in Lincoln. My dad has two Washies and a Needle Palm in Omaha. I will be in your area later this year. Will let you know when I'm in town and maybe we can link up.

Verena aka Z4Devil ( :D ) --> check in from Gladbeck, Northrhine Westphalia, Germany

Berlin_07.jpg

and

Nemesis. No outdoor palms available. The pics of the Lytocaryum and Acantho gangs follow very soon.

20130126_121250.jpg

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

post-6735-0-30722600-1360172712_thumb.jp

Hi !!!

Too cold here! too hot and dry in Sri Lanka!

Lots of love to all Palmtalk friends

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

-Erik

Omaha?!! Thought you were in Lincoln. My dad has two Washies and a Needle Palm in Omaha. I will be in your area later this year. Will let you know when I'm in town and maybe we can link up.

Does he keep them outside?!? (Now I'm curious...)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Currently working 3000 miles from my palms in florida :indifferent: . Want to get back to tend to my palms. I have 53 palms(34 species) on 0.3 acre zone 9b/10a, it is starting to look like a jungle in the making... Cold hardy palms are in more exposed areas out front, crownshafted more tender ones in back in an emerging canopy area. I do appreciate palm talk and did donate, hope it got there... If not for palm talk, eh, I would have bought a house more inland(colder), never would have looked outside the few bland selections of palms in the big box stores... and would probably not be very enthusiastic about palms... As it is, I am a feared grass killer, deciduous tree chopper, with a taste(but not for hearts like some of you) for feather and fan palms from hyophorbe to copernicia.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Checking in from San Francisco's foggier side, growing:

Parajubaea sunkha

Chamaedorea microspadix

C. hooperiana

C. linearis

Plectocomia himalayana

Brahea edulis

Brahea moorei

Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis/pedunculata

Howea forsteriana

H. belmoreana

Rhopalostylis sapida

R. baueri

Hedyscepe canterburyana

Pritchardia sp. (martii? minor?)

Livistona fulva

Ravenea sp. aff. glauca

Trachycarpus latisectus

T. martianus

T. fortunei 'Wagnerianus'

We had a very light frost in January that didn't hurt any of the palms, I don't think, though some of the other subtropicals/cloud forest plants got nipped, like Tibouchina hetermalla, Bartlettina sordida, Deppea splendens, and babaco, Vasconcellea × heilbornii.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Greetings from central California, one the worlds great food producing regions.

The almond blossoms are due any day which means Spring is on the way!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

checking in, and waiting for the rains to come, we need some soft water here in townsville australia

Regards Marty

Townsville NQ

Bula vinaka from Fiji,

Still cleaning up after the last blow. Cyclone that is.

Bizi and pigies looking rather ratty though but now about 7 weeks of recovery, much better.

Here's wishing All a good year.

Jim

post-710-0-51525800-1360300095_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-96602700-1360300137_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Checking in from Mountain View, California. Wish it was the other Mountain View in Hawaii. Current palm count is 33. All too young to show.

Many here will probably be interested in an update of the Butia X Parajubaea of the late Mr. Dick Douglas. I was in Walnut Creek last weekend and made a detour.

post-608-0-36885400-1360303619_thumb.jpg

post-608-0-08819900-1360303693_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

I Just re-joined the IPS- Finally, It's good to be back!

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Here I am from Augusta, GA. Growing lots of cold-hardy palms from Butia to Trithrinax to Sabal and lots in between. We just had a big rain yesterday and more to come next week. Low for the winter at my house: 29.5F. Not bad for being so far north.

DSC_0146.jpg

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Howdy!

Checking in from the arctic.

I've been growing palms seasonally outdoors for the last 16 years, but only really started to increase my knowledge since joining IPS and Palmtalk in 2006. There is no better place on the interwebs for people with a passion for palms or who just want to learn more. I've tried to grow the hardiest palms outdoors, but I got lazy with the protection and over time they all succumbed to the elements, but thankfully my in-laws have a ranch in the low cloud forests of Ecuador, so now I'm back to growing palms outdoors.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Hi all,

Checking in from west London, UK here. Have been interested in palms since the age of about 15 (I'm 36 now) but only moved back to England in 2010 after spending 11 years in Australia. I have an increasing collection of small palms that I've grown from seed but nowhere to plant them. I have plans to contact parks and public gardens in London and (hopefully) start some small palmetums in and around London. Either that or some guerilla palm-planting! Large palms (Trachycarpus fortuneii, Chamaerops humilis, Phoenix canariensis, Butia odorata, and even Washingtonia robusta) are becoming an increasingly common sight in this city these days so I think people are ready for a palmetum!!

I love checking this forum on a daily basis and reading about what people are growing all over the world. I've seen some truly inspiring photos on here as well so thanks to everyone for your contributions and keep 'em coming!

Never happy to settle anywhere for too long, I do plan to move to Mexico in the next 5-10 years or so and hope to continue growing plants there. Hola a todos los miembros allá.

Josh :winkie:

Ok , i'll play . Palmz checking in i've got to be in contention for the number one lurker :-( .My garden has taken a beating this winter and I can't wait for spring !!!!

Andrei in Burlingame, California, checking in. I live about 15 miles south of San Francisco. I am a newbie, and I just have seedlings. I love everyone else's pictures.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I can join this game.....checking in from Laguna Hills, CA.

Can not wait for spring time to arrive!

(Standing to attention): "Michael - North Queensland - checking in.... SIR!" :mrlooney:

post-953-0-58878600-1360711211_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Check-in from Pooooooortugaaaal!

I loved to check-in on my way to Nong Nooch too :)

Growing cold-hardy palms, but also 9b and 10a palms, dealing with two different gardens and, by the way, loving this mild winter!

Greetings all! My name is Andrew, I'm 29 years old and I am born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am always looking for new additions to my 3 properties in Cutler Bay and so far, have around 700 species of palms. A lot of people grow lots of different plants, but I am pretty much in it, just for the palms! If it's really rare, I'll take 10, please! :)

This is me checking in this morning from my palmy, weedy mess in So California this morning..

attachicon.gifblimp,palms 009.JPG

Bill- does Dave know you're wearing his pants?

Rare designer issue :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Greetings all! My name is Andrew, I'm 29 years old and I am born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am always looking for new additions to my 3 properties in Cutler Bay and so far, have around 700 species of palms. A lot of people grow lots of different plants, but I am pretty much in it, just for the palms! If it's really rare, I'll take 10, please! :)

700?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

700?

700? Which ones?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Andrew,

So young and already 700 species in 3 properties!

I give up and sell Doranakandawatta, I am too old and too poor; only seedlings and one virgin jungle... :winkie:

Philippe

Just did a quick inventory and it seems these are some of my favorite genus:

Chamaedorea - 25 species

Coccothrinax - 15 plus species

Copernicia - 14 plus species

Dypsis - 20 species

Heterospathe - 8 species

Licuala - 15 species

Ptychosperma - 11 species

and Rhapis - 8 species. If I did a New Cal collection count it would be 13 species.

the rest of my collection is too long to list right now and a lot of spelling! :bemused:

Andrew,

So young and already 700 species in 3 properties!

I give up and sell Doranakandawatta, I am too old and too poor; only seedlings and one virgin jungle... :winkie:

It doesn't take long to aquire an extensive collection--don't give up! It does however take a while for them to grow--most of my palms are seedling to juvenile plants(relatively few palms in my collections are sexually mature).

I'm checking in from Munich, south Germany.

Currently suffering (with my palms) from the low temperatures and light of the winter season. Since 2008 I grow tropical palms (indoors and in my indoor glasshouse) and cold hardy palms (on my balcony).

It's hard sometimes, but I'm proud to say I keep some little gems alive, like Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, Licuala cordata, Chamaedorea tuerckheimii, Licuala 'mapu', Pelagodoxa henryana, Verschaffeltia splendida etc. Don't ask me what I'm gonna do with them when they grow bigger...my biggest Palms so far are a Caryota mitis and a C. obtusa, but they still fit in the room :) Most palms grow slower here due to less heat and light.

post-5488-0-42790600-1361284811_thumb.jp

post-5488-0-21852900-1361285408_thumb.jp

post-5488-0-21705400-1361285505_thumb.jp

Edited by Oliver K.

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

Hi Oliver!

Nice to see you checking in!

How is your Carpentaria?

Don't ask me what I'm gonna do with them when they grow bigger...

I would like to invite you and all of them in Doranakanda garden, you and they would be happy!
Since I know that palms from Florida enjoy the Singapore climate, why not traveling from Germany to Sri Lanka?

Regards

Philippe

Philippe

My two Carpentarias are suffering from the same conditions as the other palms, but they also are surviving (yet).

If you also give me a place to stay in Doranakanda while visiting them once in a while, that might be an option some day ;) .

But judging from the current growth rate, I expect that to be during my retirement (at least with most Palms).

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)