IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Members Roll Call, Lets all check in and say hi?

Ken Johnson

Welcome back to Palmtalk, Jeff.

I see that this is your 23rd post and what a great photo! We all look forward to more. I believe I have seen photos occasionally of some of your own truly magnificent trees. I never tire of new palm portraits.

We met briefly at the Thailand Biennial and I appreciate your hard work and passion for the IPS. Only 7 months until Miami and the Keys!

Cindy Adair

Hi!

My name is Jeff Searle, just like my avatar says. And yes, that's me doing a "man to man" talk with my Dypsis carlsmithii at the nursery. And yes, very,very passionate about my palms, especially all of them from the awe-inspiring country of Madagascar.

Over the next few months, I suspect I will be checking in less and less. Rumor has it that a VERY LARGE group of the world's brightest and leading authorities, experts,and collectors will be paying me a visit here at my nursery. And frankly, I'm scared to death! So, I have a lot of cleaning up to do, fertilizing and spraying, just to make your visit as enjoyable as possible. Hope to see many of you here in May 2014.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is Jeff Brusseau checking in from Vista, California.

I am an Director and a Vice President for the IPS.

I am excited to be involved with this fine organization and the many talented volunteers that work very hard for the betterment of palms and the members of the IPS.

Attached is a recent shot from the north of Peru visiting the spectacular Ceroxylon quindense forest.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good to meet your Jeff. Thanks for checking. Very exciting to see you here and thanks for the picture. Just out of curiosity, how did you first learn of and become involved with IPS?

Keith, I heard about the IPS from other friends who were also interested in palms in approx.1993.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

This is Jeff Brusseau checking in from Vista, California.

I am an Director and a Vice President for the IPS.

I am excited to be involved with this fine organization and the many talented volunteers that work very hard for the betterment of palms and the members of the IPS.

Attached is a recent shot from the north of Peru visiting the spectacular Ceroxylon quindense forest.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jeff,

I know you are busy, like us all, but we have incorporated PalmTalk to being a part of our everyday life. How can we get you and the BODs to visit and contribute more often?

Joe, some Directors are already active on PT while others never will be. I visit on occasion but not not have them time to be an active contributor. I believe the Board will be more active in the future as the proposed changes are rolled out.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Aloha all, Tim Brian here, thought I'd finally chime in. Found PalmTalk back in 2007 which eventually led to my joining the IPS and now serving as a director.

I'm in my fourth year as President of the Hawaii Island Palm Society and like most folks on PT, have palms on the brain and palm tunnel vision. And yes, I do dream

about palms.

I started my palm garden almost 6 years ago and the pleasure I get spending time and working in it borders on obsession. Those of us who live in East Hawaii realize

how lucky we are to be able to acquire locally such a large variety of palms. We are so grateful for past and present growers and gardeners, who were and are, so willing to mentor, share,

and pass on their knowledge. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Always good to see all of you here!

Tim

post-1300-0-10435900-1383937352_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

John Tyler here from Japan. I started in with palms just 6 months ago, and since I spent much of that time reading historical posts, I missed this one. The weather is turning, so my palm seedlings are all now back inside my sunroom, but spring is not too far away, and the growing season starts anew.

Happy to be here on PT, learning every single day!

post-7712-0-50136500-1384048419_thumb.jp

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

John Tyler here from Japan. I started in with palms just 6 months ago, and since I spent much of that time reading historical posts, I missed this one. The weather is turning, so my palm seedlings are all now back inside my sunroom, but spring is not too far away, and the growing season starts anew.

Happy to be here on PT, learning every single day!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Welcome on board.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 1 year later...

I'm checking in from Munich, south Germany.

Currently suffering (with my palms) from the low temperatures and light of the winter season. Since 2008 I grow tropical palms (indoors and in my indoor glasshouse) and cold hardy palms (on my balcony).

It's hard sometimes, but I'm proud to say I keep some little gems alive, like Johannesteijsmannia magnifica, Licuala cordata, Chamaedorea tuerckheimii, Licuala 'mapu', Pelagodoxa henryana, Verschaffeltia splendida etc. Don't ask me what I'm gonna do with them when they grow bigger...my biggest Palms so far are a Caryota mitis and a C. obtusa, but they still fit in the room :) Most palms grow slower here due to less heat and light.

Great to see that your making it work. Gives me more hope for many of my tropical palm species here in the Midwest in the USA

Checking in from Hana, Maui. We move a little slower than most around here; kinda like molasses flowing uphill and the growth rate of my Copernicias.

But there are some fast moving (growing) things in the garden... like this Dypsis pembana.

post-3769-0-12745700-1419404643_thumb.jp

But it's taken me only a year and eleven months to check-in.

Aloha everybody.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Hello everyone, my formal name is Phillip but your welcome to call me Pip or Phil. I've been into growing plants since I was a kid. I started planting palms when I was a teenager in my parents garden. After doing various different things I've now got my own little piece of Australia to plant up unfortunately I've gone back to university so until I've completed my degree I won't be doing much with my garden. For now I have to be content looking at the pic other people share.

Well, i have already checked in, but i still dont have my boarding pass :D so im back here.

I am in Azores, missing my children and my palms too. But i am about to take off to meet them and celebrate the new year!

Oh, and you can call me Raf, as many do here, specially Wal and Dave :)

Hi all,

Checking in from London, UK. I'm interested in palms and other exotics. I think there is huge potential for London and other sheltered parts of the UK to grow more interesting plants.

I hope to spend more time in Mexico in the future and look forward to having some land there to plant lots of palms! This is a great forum full of interesting and practical information.

Cheers!

Hi my name is Josh Allen (AKA Josh-O) and I'm checking in and reporting for duty. I'm fairly new to palm talk and I'm loving every minute of it!!

post-7434-0-78132800-1419640388_thumb.jp picture of my goofy mug in Hawaii next to a dypsis sp. black stem

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi all from a hot Melbn.

Been awhile. Lost interest in palms and they appreciated me.

Lost stacks and made a realisation: Palms grow better with me nowhere near them.

Big winners have been the Parajubaeaeaea, the Jubaeopses and those pesky Archontophoenices.

Happy to report that the drought has put paid to many Trachycar-pus in the neighbourhood. Up go property prices........... :sick:

Here's my obligatory check-in pic: it was taken during the Cretaceous Period. Since then it has doubled in size and floured.

Cheers,

Adam

post-479-0-30667700-1420202124_thumb.jpg

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Hello everybody! I'm Zach and gladly to meet you all!Palmtalk is the place that everybody can come together and share the undeniable love for palms! The addiction started when I was still living in FL.The amount of tropical flora that I can grow only on this lovely peninsula triggered my love for tropical plants and palms.I can still remember the taste of tree ripen mangoes and all sorts of wonderful delicacies that I can only have in continental US.Currently moved to NorCal I longed for the days of yesteryear but never lest each place has it own beauty that truly shows!

welcome to PT coconut man!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24