IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Members Roll Call, Lets all check in and say hi?

Ken Johnson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I feel it's time to BUMP this Camaraderie thread Ken started, because of the friendly feeling it gave me.

Palmtalk is a community and I think IPS directors should not stay hidden in the BOD and, like other IPS directors who meet on PT, be and show themselves on Palmtalk.

Other thing:

I want to express (with my french english) all my gratitude to PALMOD, Dean who had a very hard work last days, always writing in a neutral but clear style, trying to keep the peace ion the House.

Thank you.

Let's hope the BOD will understand the value the Palmtalk community!

Best regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Couldn't agree more with you Philippe! A great site with fun and extremely knowledgeable people....

post-6682-0-23955100-1382273078_thumb.jp

Snapping away at the Arecaceae of 'Nam......

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

I agree, Philippe, especially the part about Palmod.....we're lucky to have you, Dean :greenthumb::wub: !

Edited by ThreepointtwoWhites

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Peter here, checking in from the rural coast of Guatemala! Palmtalk is great...where else can you see such spectacular gardens from all over the world?

post-2997-0-91545800-1382275633_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Hi all you good people... My name is Jonas and I am from Denmark but live in tropical Rurrenabaque, Bolivia... There is no place to plants or palms around here so I have to grow everything from seed from RPS and other sources... Sometimes i go to the jungle to collect seeds or dig up a seedling to put in my garden...

Just found this one in the jungle outside town..

post-6784-0-47369200-1382278357_thumb.jp

This looks pretty much like the "big white".. Geonoma calyptrogynoidea

It would be really amazing..

Jonas

post-181-0-74601300-1382289507_thumb.jpg

I thought I had already checked in but apparently not. This is a good time though since I had feared the eminent death or, at least near death, of PalmTalk the way we knew and loved it. Looks like there's a second chance scenario here this time and maybe it will grow stronger as a result. Kudos to Dean! I will still check into Palmpedia frequently which I had sort of forgotten about over time but the PalmTalk fiasco reminded me.

Let's hope there are never any more threats to our beloved forum's health. Same goes for our palms!

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hi all you good people... My name is Jonas and I am from Denmark but live in tropical Rurrenabaque, Bolivia... There is no place to plants or palms around here so I have to grow everything from seed from RPS and other sources... Sometimes i go to the jungle to collect seeds or dig up a seedling to put in my garden...

Just found this one in the jungle outside town..

attachicon.gifBigWhite.jpg

This looks pretty much like the "big white".. Geonoma calyptrogynoidea

It would be really amazing..

Jonas

NICE!!! I hope some day you can figure out what species you have there. Thanks for the picture, enjoyed it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Now that the rioting is over and it's safe to come back...

Checking in from a little tropical oasis nested in the coastal mountains overlooking Santa Cruz and the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

20130908_115257_zps5ae8686c.jpg

20131011_134549_1_zps09c7f1e5.jpg

20130904_150128_zps6b0a5a68.jpg

Hello from the San Joaquin Valley California

post-376-0-92088000-1382399158_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

It's been a while since I said hi on this thread, so hi again from Lou-eze-e-anna.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

“Palmtalk is a community and I think IPS directors should not stay hidden in the BOD and, like other IPS directors who meet on PT, be and show themselves on Palmtalk.” (Doranakandawatta posted 20 Oct 2013)

As a member of IPS since 1969, a Board Member and a co-editor of PALMS, etc, I have never attempted to hide myself in the BOD or anywhere else in the IPS. You will see I post under my own name (I haven’t a clue who over half the people who post on PalmTalk are because many of you hide behind pseudonyms – something that really puts me off!). I don’t often visit PalmTalk because I am busy with editing PALMS and my own research. But I do, from time to time, and have sometimes been rewarded with interesting nuggets of information and once by a major piece of palm news – the discovery of Tahina. Of course, like all members of the Board, I recognize the great value of PalmTalk and have been appalled by the level of misinformation that has appeared on PalmTalk after the Board Meeting in Peru. I am hoping that things will gradually settle down so that we can all get back to our enthusiams – Palms, in all their diversity – and work constructively to improve the Society.

• Upvote 2

John Dransfield

Welcome on Palmtalk, John! Funny to see you as a "seedling"!

I think most of us understood the issue is about PMs in Palmtalk

Avatar names can be fun; As you can see on my profile, no detail is hidden.

Thank you for coming here.

And, thanks to you:

....Please note the name changes on our new list based on the February 2013 visit by Dr. John Dransfield:

• Dypsis paludosa is now Dypsis mirabilis
  • Dypsis remotiflora is now Dypsis forficifolia
  • Dypsis tokoravina is now Dypsis jurassic park

We have to update our education!

Kindest regards

Philippe

Philippe

Thank you so much for posting Dr. Dransfield!

I am Cindy Adair (apaandssa). When I registered using apaandssa on Palmtalk, I was very new to palms. I did put my real information when asked during the registration process so that anyone could see my real name, etc. but it made it just a bit easier for me to post for the first time. In case any answers were less than nice I strangely wouldn't have taken it as personally. I think it is simple to search for apaandsssa via Google and find my posts online, but searching my name might not work as quickly. Now many of us will use at least our first names, as we have become more comfortable with the group. So I share your distaste of an anonymous poster, but most of us have our real names just a click away for those who are interested.

I had only been a member of the IPS at that time for two years (Palmtalk a bit longer), but was already very interested. I certainly found Palmtalk first and joined the IPS eventually mostly to support palm research and conservation. Another big reason was for partial repayment for what I even then guessed were substantial costs incurred by IPS for Palmtalk.

Palmtalk has helped me identify unknown to me palms on my farm in Puerto Rico as I posted again recently with such a question. Members have helped me plan an Areca vestiaria Avenue with advice on spacing and enthusiasm over follow up photos. Yes, I've seen posts that weren't appropriate, but they are mostly away from the main sections generally get removed by Dean.

I certainly saw some inaccurate and less than polite posts recently (after the private messages option temporarily went dark) as well as many who valiantly rose to the challenge and have since joined the IPS and volunteered to help. I was amazed at the misconceptions regarding use of funds and the dispersions cast. I fear that you and others received unpleasant emails as we all jumped to protect a forum we are passionate about.

I hope that when the dust settles those who frequent this forum and have the money will all join the IPS and support all the work of the Society and palms in general. We will continue to learn the past and present regarding the IPS and its directors so we can help modify the future in support of the trees we love.
Several had suggested a subforum for those fluent in the language of botany to see some of the truly amazing photos taken in the wild places all over the world and to submit what others might see as narrowly focused questions regarding palm botany. Thus those who really know palms could check in without having to wade through posts such as the proper spacing of Areca vestiarias for a landscape. It could be interesting to those doing palm research and the rest of us could read and look up the definitions and learn. I would love to hear from Dr. Dransfield or others with such technical interests if they would enjoy such an option.
Normally I would put such a response in a PM (and I did so) but don't know if Dr. Dransfield (who likely receives messages from all over the world) uses the Palmtalk PM function. So I decided to post here as well.
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Hello John, thanks for taking a moment to express a few calm and rational thoughts here.

It was a pleasure chatting with you and your wife in Peru, and I'll be looking forward to your Beccariophoenix article. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thank you Doctor Dransfield, good to see you.

Your presence adds a lot.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Checking in from Vista, where most stuff seems to have grown pretty well this year. Heading to my Pahoa residence on 10/31 for a couple weeks, and it'd be nice to meet up with whomever is around out there.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Bonjour from Oceanside, CA. Lookin forward to some wet weather coming up. The garden is really starting to take shape.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I really enjoy seeing Directors here - especially Dr. Dransfield - if only to let us know his thoughts and that he does visit from time to time. I hope others break the ice and do so as well.

To reply to his comments:

1) Of course not everything posted here is factual. This is a reflection of the real world - of a very large group of diverse individuals with all sorts of conflicting view points, personalities, and misconceptions. Some get it right and some get it wrong. But like real life, most of those here sift through all the sometimes noisy input and arrive somewhere close to reality. Well most of us do. :)

2) Real names are listed by many. Click on the unsername to be taken to that person's profile and look under Real Name. Some people do prefer anonymity. But many have no problem with sharing their real name - especially after they become a little more familiar with the crowd.

So let me take this opportunity to ask everyone to consider sharing their Real Name in their Profile. And while they are at it, also update your email, and why not tell us where you live, zone wise. This helps us connect your growing conditions to your posts - it really helps to understand everything you say in your posts and see in your photos.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thank you Dr. Dransfield, and thank you Dean for your tireless devotion. Palmtalk to me is about learning

from others, about their triumphs and mistakes. Without it I would still just be planting in my clients gardens D. lutescens and Manilas.

aloha

Colin Peters

post-4990-0-88825100-1382944841_thumb.jp

Kermit the Frog checking in........... I mean Tyrone.

From Perth at present but soon to be from Albany, a colder, less tropical place, BUT, I might be able to grow those mountainous New Caledonian palms that always seem to die here in summer. Gonna grow a Howea, Rhopalostylis, Hedyscepe, Archontophoenix forest with understory of Linospadix, Laccospadix, Basselinia, and maybe even Geonoma undata. Woohoo. Bring it on. I may even be able to grow Leppidorachis without needing to bring them inside into the air conditioning in summer. They may just grow without rotting in summer.

I'm trying to be positive because my coconut can't come with me. :(

But to be positive my next garden after this new one will be somewhere closer to the equator with summer rainfall. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I am still here, sort of.... very busy with the family these days. No time for gardens or palms. Slowly but surely getting back into it.... trying to clean up the neglected garden one corner at a time. Haven't been planted any palms lately. I have to say palms frustrate me a little... some just died without any reason at all. So, sticking with what works at the moment and looks good in my garden. I won't try to push the envelope too much. Maybe one day, when I have more time....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I am still here, sort of.... very busy with the family these days. No time for gardens or palms. Slowly but surely getting back into it.... trying to clean up the neglected garden one corner at a time. Haven't been planted any palms lately. I have to say palms frustrate me a little... some just died without any reason at all. So, sticking with what works at the moment and looks good in my garden. I won't try to push the envelope too much. Maybe one day, when I have more time....

Regards, Ari :)

Hi Ari!

When my children were young I had no extra time either. Don't worry, we'll be here whenever you have a free minute.

Here's a new handkerchief of pink on my little Amherstia. It's for you because I remember that you like them too.

post-4111-0-82214000-1382967037_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

(I haven’t a clue who over half the people who post on PalmTalk are because many of you hide behind pseudonyms – something that really puts me off!).

Dr. Dransfield, when my husband is deployed, or even goes for a short TDY, I feel vulnerable. That's why I use a nickname and try to keep a low-info profile. But I have to say that the people of PalmTalk are so wonderful and endearing (---and I "lurked" long before joining, to sort of get a feel of the atmosphere---) that I felt safe enough to say my real name. I'm Shirley, and it's very nice to meet you.friendship.gif

airplane.jpgYes, seriously, I'm Shirley! <---Haha the younger PalmTalk'ers might not get that.

• Upvote 1

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

“Palmtalk is a community and I think IPS directors should not stay hidden in the BOD and, like other IPS directors who meet on PT, be and show themselves on Palmtalk.” (Doranakandawatta posted 20 Oct 2013)

As a member of IPS since 1969, a Board Member and a co-editor of PALMS, etc, I have never attempted to hide myself in the BOD or anywhere else in the IPS. You will see I post under my own name (I haven’t a clue who over half the people who post on PalmTalk are because many of you hide behind pseudonyms – something that really puts me off!). I don’t often visit PalmTalk because I am busy with editing PALMS and my own research. But I do, from time to time, and have sometimes been rewarded with interesting nuggets of information and once by a major piece of palm news – the discovery of Tahina. Of course, like all members of the Board, I recognize the great value of PalmTalk and have been appalled by the level of misinformation that has appeared on PalmTalk after the Board Meeting in Peru. I am hoping that things will gradually settle down so that we can all get back to our enthusiams – Palms, in all their diversity – and work constructively to improve the Society.

Thanks for the input John, and good to see you on the board. I would like to say that I admire your work in the area of palm botany and preservation and characterization of species. We should always put our name on the bottom of each page if we aren't using it as our user ID. I personally don't have your name recognition, few people here don't know who you are. For me, my username references my first palm garden in the sonoran desert, a place I had to give up but will never forget. But anyone can see my name at the bottom of every one of my posts. I do prefer to address people by their real names and do appreciate it when they put it at the bottom of their posts so I don't have to dig it out in their user profile.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Look, Tom! Ta~da!

Shirleypt.png

Look, Tom! Ta~da!

Very good, now its easy and you might not get called "threepoint2whites" as much.... More personable... :lol:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...

This is Jeff Brusseau checking in from Vista, California.

I am an Director and a Vice President for the IPS.

I am excited to be involved with this fine organization and the many talented volunteers that work very hard for the betterment of palms and the members of the IPS.

Attached is a recent shot from the north of Peru visiting the spectacular Ceroxylon quindense forest.post-370-0-72278400-1383710498_thumb.jpg

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Thanks for dropping by and sharing Jeff - what an awesome view.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Wow, that shot of quindiense is spectacular. At what elevation was this shot taken, and are you collecting seeds?

Edit: actually, looking at the shot more closely, those look more like ventricosum. Quindiense are more plumose.

I am excited to be involved with this fine organization and the many talented volunteers that work very hard for the betterment of palms and the members of the IPS.

Attached is a recent shot from the north of Peru visiting the spectacular Ceroxylon quindense forest.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good to meet your Jeff. Thanks for checking. Very exciting to see you here and thanks for the picture. Just out of curiosity, how did you first learn of and become involved with IPS?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Attached is a recent shot from the north of Peru visiting the spectacular Ceroxylon quindense forest.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jeff,

I know you are busy, like us all, but we have incorporated PalmTalk to being a part of our everyday life. How can we get you and the BODs to visit and contribute more often?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Dear Directors,

....Five Directors voted against shutting down the PM system (myself, Kim, Toby, Jack/elHoagie and Tim/realarch). Everybody else voted in favor of shutting it down.

Could you explain the reasons you voted in favor of shutting the PM system down?

It's nice to see you coming on the "camaraderie" thread Ken started but it seems there is not such a friendly atmosphere between IPS BOD and Palmtalk.

As other members requested, IPS directors are invited to come more often on Palmtalk, so we all can understand and learn.

For example, we should avoid pseudonyms...

(My avatar name is the name of the garden I love... you can read more on my profile)

Kindest regards

Philippe

Philippe

G ' day :D

Checking in from Tasmania @ 43 Deg South where i grow New Zealand , Lord Howe Island , and high altitude South American palms

post-1252-0-04711400-1383771478_thumb.jp

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate