IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Members Roll Call, Lets all check in and say hi?

Ken Johnson

We all like to see who's out there from time to time so check in,. Leave your avatar here so we can all get to know each other a little better. A short story about your palms or a question about IPS would be welcomed.

In the past we have had other great threads come from on line meetings like this and many "palmy" friendships have been established. WE can even talk about the future here and what you would like to see from the IPS and PalmTalk. Please feel free to share.

A few palm pictures would be nice too!

Ken Johnson

Checking In!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Again I thank Palmtalk!

Yesterday I googled "Asterogyne" by the pics and found a thread started by Realarch in 2010 about the growth in his garden: wonderful pictures, nice comments but the thread seems to be extinct now.

This is the way I discovered Palmtalk, and next came to IPS.

I feel well with you all. And so many times impressed by your Dypsis monsters or Hawaiian Clinostigma!

Maybe my Verschaffeltias make someone jealous ?

Kindest regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Ring ! Ring ! Bellhop ? take my luggage to chatroom 14, I'll be in the Caryota bar, oh and let mister Johnson know I've checked in, here's a dollar, put it in the jukebox at around 9pm, select song E 54, I'll explain later.....Oh Gwen !, hi !, I didn't expect to see you here...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

post-206-0-65521800-1359823479_thumb.jpg

paulgila checking in. still palm crazy after all these years :winkie:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

This is me checking in this morning from my palmy, weedy mess in So California this morning..

post-27-0-85350500-1359825544_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

just chillin...

post-1122-0-85295800-1359826510_thumb.jp

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Cindy/apaandssa from Virginia and PR checking in as requested. Way too cold for outside in Virginia today, but holding about 60 F at 2 pm on a cloudy day in my greenhouse. No new palms to photograph so this variegated Aeschynanthes (Lipstick vine) will have to do.

post-4111-0-90914100-1359833200_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-85826000-1359833220_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-47317600-1359833278_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Here! Pritchardia says spring is in the air too

1E9091DE-861C-4421-9902-1429DF2ACDF1-569

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Stopped by to help Dr Balasky pick up some donated lunches for the schoolchildren of Madagascar.

His Alfredii are getting very big. They were planted 2 years before even being named. I stop back and take some pics.

Thanks to Nancy and the wonderful volunteers

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Here!

...there, and everywhere.

post-216-0-16373200-1359847036_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Checking in from over here...who'd have thought we were in severe drought a couple of weeks ago?

post-42-0-47461900-1359849502_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Checking in from the cold job site in the North..........post-97-0-05862800-1359850279_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Cold and snowy here in WV right now, the only palm I currently own is a needle, one day I'll be back in a palmy climate!

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Check in?

I almost never check out . . .

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Checking in from Leilani Estates! With Dypsis prestonianas dotting the landscape! :)

post-22-0-96963000-1359881216_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi..Nice to see all the posts...Thanks to IPS my world became a lot bigger the last few years. I met a lot of people on the chat. We talk often and it is great! I have made a lot of friends here thanks everyone!

post-1108-0-54827000-1359906631_thumb.jp

Boa noite caros amigos...

post-157-0-21463500-1359923522_thumb.jpg

post-157-0-63135800-1359923983_thumb.jpg

post-157-0-82625500-1359924062_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Still here :mrlooney: .................By the way, is winter over yet?

post-1035-0-27095700-1359925607_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here in palmy Cape Coral, FL. At least I'm trying to make it that way. Here are some views of my 25 x 25' backyard jungle.

post-1349-0-13929100-1359926393_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-49952200-1359926441_thumb.jp post-1349-0-93280200-1359926459_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-75019500-1359926420_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Checking in! Here is my box of plants at college...my palms and cycads are at home in sunny texas! I agree with Jason, this winter in Texas has been really nice! I have been watching the weather.

I'm here too, attached palms unfortunately not mine but a bit of eye candy for everyone..... Bit like show and tell at school isn't it!

post-6412-0-32904100-1359957954_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-94977400-1359957681_thumb.jp

I'm back after a long absence & I must say there are some beautiful palms on display. I'll have to get the camera out and take a couple of pics

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Brand spankin' new here, this is my first post. My name is Shirley. I was born and raised in Alaska but now living in Florida. My husband, Michael, originally from NY and CT, has worked in rescue with the military and that's how we met, and eventually got here....and here, to us, is a beautiful place. We have three white shepherds (one has a little bit of Siberian running thru her veins)....one chihuahua and one cat. We're actively involved with training, tracking, agility, etc., with all our dogs...including the almost 4lbs of chihuahua. We want to go full time with working dogs after Michael retires, with his eye on search and rescue, mine on physical-therapy (imagine Keek in the avatar pulling a wheelchair!), so our whole world seems to revolve around that goal....but....it's not all work and we're both palm crazy. Actually, it was Joe Alf who sparked that fire and then Bernie Peterson who flamed it, because we were mere closet palm people before those two fellas.

They told us to join IPS and CFPACS, but I think I goofed up signing up on their board....I don't really know...l swear there is a bowl of oatmeal inside my head as opposed to any measurable IQ. I'm very, very fumble prone lately and probably will dork up a lot more before I'm finished. On top of that, I have a new-to-me-lap-top-format-dealy-o-thingy called apple to figure out, and then even more worse, my credit card got hi-jacked (resolved)-----that really freaked me out....had made an order to seabreeze nurseries....and didn't want them to think I'm a bad customer.....then wrote them this morning to help me because now I think one palm might be lost in the postal system. And I want to join IPS and/or CFPACS but don't want to mess up that. Good grief, it feels like I've told everybody my whole life story. And all that tmi for just one question.......can two persons, Michael and I, join once with one membership to IPS via CFPACS or how does that best work? Have mercy, that's technically two or three or maybe even more questions in one, right?

tricksclasscnt.jpg

Me, Cris, Trin, and Michael.

03dc67e9-3e09-40ed-ad7b-ea071f55d941.jpg

...and here's some last August new additions to our family.

It took me hours -hours I tell you!- to figure out how to upload pictures. Hoping they show, but if not, well, it's okay, I'll try again later on. Hopefully, I did not blow up the internet.

• Upvote 1

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Hey Yall! DeBoe Family checking in.... We are still on PT, just kinde been in hiding for the last couple years... Moved to an apartment by the beach in Boca andd have no palms, but we have been working hard and saving to prepare for our impending move to Hawaii in the next couple years. Glad ya'll are still here and Palmtalk is so strong! :greenthumb:

DSC06890_zpsea1a8b61.jpg

• Upvote 1

VERY COOL hearing from the new and "missing" people!!! :greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tim here in Hilo.......checking in.

All is well and the garden is growing like mad.

post-1300-0-28101400-1360001982_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This is Konstantinos,checking in...

IMG_4387a.jpg

IMG_4091a.jpg

IMG_4386a.jpg

IMG_4384a.jpg

Happy end of winter everyone!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''