Sign in to follow this  
quaman58

Lepidorrhachis mooreana

quaman58

I have several of these in ground ranging from 5 to 15 gallon size. Two of the smaller ones are near the coldest part of the yard, which saw at least 2 nights of 29F temps. They look really good. It's no surprise that they prefer cool temps, but my guess is that they will handle cold perhaps as low as 26F or 27F before showing damage. The largest one I have was also undamaged during the 2007 event which was even worse than this one.

ghar41

Yes, Ive been impressed with their freeze tolerance also. I have a very small one planted next to a Dypsis baronii- the D. b is completely brown from three days of 27F, but the Lepidorarrachis m. is completely green. I have seen these same results for a number of years.

I do know that if it ever dries out,- even once- it is toast. I have lost other plants due to dryness.

DoomsDave

WHOA!

This is a stunning surprise!

On the other hand, thinking about it, I'll bet their mountain got COLD during the last glacial period.

An eyeblink ago.

Tassie_Troy1971

The Leppidorrachis i have planted outside down here @ 42 deg latt thive throug our long cool winters .