IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Black stem - "true"

trioderob

after 3 nights of near freezing temps 32F- 35F with clear nights and very low R.H. major damage noted.

palm is burned approx 40 % on all fronds. some top fronds expeosed to lowest temps burned 90% - but palm survived. this is a 4 foot tall specimen planted last winter.

Bad news for RSN. Maybe they will consent to selling a few in Hawaii now. I hope it pulls through for you, but that's not encouraging for SoCal growers of this palm when you consider those temps are not so unusual around here. :( Who else is growing this? Any more reports?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here is my seed grown Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem.' It went in the ground last spring. It is actually in one of the colder spots of my yard in which I measured a low of around 28F near the ground. I have a cut up nursery pot around it to protect the base from the heavy layer of compost and mulch surrounding it. It has a wire cage for protection from rodents given its small size. I did cover it with a larger upside down black nursery pot for our coldest three nights. I can't say that I've seen much damage which is impressive given its small size and location. I have seen some cold damage in my yard on larger palms that were also protected in a similar manner.

So for me, I am definitely not out on this guy yet for So Cal. Judge for yourself in the picture attached below. It seems to be pushing its new spear just fine. The small, darker spots you see on the newer leaves are not damage, but rather some residue left over from a humic acid foliar spray I used.

post-3949-0-84766100-1359402536_thumb.jp

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Nice Mike - but can we be sure that is the same palm as Rob's?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Good point, Dean. I guess all I can say at this point is that my palm was purchased as Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem' as was Rob's palm. My seed was obtained from RPS from the most recent batch available. When I spoke to Jeff M. about this seed, he explained to me that Toby got the seed from a non-palm person who stayed at the Vakona Lodge. If this is indeed true, we know that the seed has come from the same locale, albeit not necessarily the same specimen/genetics as Rob's. This is an important distinction as I know the species vary quite a bit in that location. Obviously I would feel much better about the authenticity of the seed had Gary collected the seed and photographed the mother plant as was done with the first batch. Those plants have a much better provenance than the second batch of seed. As with a lot of these Dypsis, I guess only time will tell. Nonetheless, this freeze data may prove valuable to those that purchased this more recent batch of seed or who obtained seedlings from Floribunda.

I will say that my little guy is already starting to show some nice color. I also realize that this means absolutely nothing with Dypsis at this size.

post-3949-0-31572900-1359414243_thumb.jp

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Good point, Dean. I guess all I can say at this point is that my palm was purchased as Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem' as was Rob's palm. My seed was obtained from RPS from the most recent batch available. When I spoke to Jeff M. about this seed, he explained to me that Toby got the seed from a non-palm person who stayed at the Vakona Lodge. If this is indeed true, we know that the seed has come from the same locale, albeit not necessarily the same specimen/genetics as Rob's. This is an important distinction as I know the species vary quite a bit in that location. Obviously I would feel much better about the authenticity of the seed had Gary collected the seed and photographed the mother plant as was done with the first batch. Those plants have a much better provenance than the second batch of seed. As with a lot of these Dypsis, I guess only time will tell. Nonetheless, this freeze data may prove valuable to those that purchased this more recent batch of seed or who obtained seedlings from Floribunda.

I will say that my little guy is already starting to show some nice color. I also realize that this means absolutely nothing with Dypsis at this size.

attachicon.gif2013-01-28_.jpg

Well, in that case it is most likely the same palm. But a "large black nursery pot" would provide a surprising amount of insulation.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Well, in that case it is most likely the same palm. But a "large black nursery pot" would provide a surprising amount of insulation.

Very true. We'll see if I'm bold enough to try without the coverage next time. :winkie:

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I do remain hopeful for the long-term as many of my other species were covered in a similar manner and still suffered some damage. The biggest variable for me seemed to be length of time the plants were in the ground as my newest plantings took the worst hit. Rob, when exactly did you plant yours?

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

its was planted last FEB after the worst of the cold nights had passed.

so this was the first real shock to the plant.

it seems to be somewhat of a winter grower as it has started back up with the warm weather this week .

the damage to this plant was severe - I will give it alot of water and fert this summer to help it recover.

I think it will be ok as a larger palm if it can make it 2 more years once it gets an established root system.