IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Le parc des palmiers" - La Reunion island

olivier971

Today's pictures :

GBPIX_photo_563339.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563340.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563341.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563342.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563343.jpg

Thanks for these nice photos!

Could it be possible to have the ID of the palms, s'iou plait?

If I'm not wrong, we have here above:

Wodyetia bifurcata

Cycas idunnowhat

Pigaffeta filaris (though not 100 % sure, I'm more used to P. elata... which I find has darker petioles)

Ravenea (could it be a glauca with a weird look because of a hot, damp tropical climate?)

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Wonderful! The colorful Dypsis steal my heart every time! Oh, and the beefy palms... and the leafy palms... :rolleyes:B)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

GBPIX_photo_563344.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563345.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563346.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563347.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563348.jpg

Handsome palms, for sure!

Tell me if I'm wrong:

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Burretiokentia (hapala?) showing soon its stunning inflorescence

A Dypsis I'm not familiar with (could it be D. prestoniana?) almost upside down

Again but straight, looks better that way :)

And last, Cyphophoenix nucele?

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Olivier,

Thanks for posting all these beautiful photos. That seems to be a very extensive garden! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for these nice photos!

Could it be possible to have the ID of the palms, s'iou plait?

If I'm not wrong, we have here above:

Wodyetia bifurcata

Cycas idunnowhat

Pigaffeta filaris (though not 100 % sure, I'm more used to P. elata... which I find has darker petioles)

Ravenea (could it be a glauca with a weird look because of a hot, damp tropical climate?)

Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Wodyetia bifurcata YES !

Cycas ?

Pigafetta ?

Ravenea glauca YES !

Chambeyronia macrocarpa Watermelon YES !

Edited by olivier971

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

Tell me if I'm wrong:

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Kentiopsis oliviformis YES !

Burretiokentia hapala YES !

Dypsis prestoniana YES !

Upside down because of the Hurricana DUMILE last month ..

Cyphophoenix nucele, probably but not sure ...

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

Handsome palms, for sure! Tell me if I'm wrong: Kentiopsis oliviformis Burretiokentia (hapala?) showing soon its stunning inflorescence A Dypsis I'm not familiar with (could it be D. prestoniana?) almost upside down Again but straight, looks better that way :) And last, Cyphophoenix nucele?
Kentiopsis oliviformis YES ! Burretiokentia hapala YES ! Dypsis prestoniana YES ! Upside down because of the Hurricana DUMILE last month .. Cyphophoenix nucele, probably but not sure ...
Pretty sure it is Dypsis saintelucei.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree with len on the Dypsis St lucei...

But Len did you see the 3rd pic in post #7? Looks very much to me like Dypsis "big red"..... :hmm:

THANKS OLIVIER!! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I agree with len on the Dypsis St lucei...

But Len did you see the 3rd pic in post #7? Looks very much to me like Dypsis "big red"..... :hmm:

THANKS OLIVIER!! :)

Too hard to tell for me Bill as I have never seen one big.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Tell me if I'm wrong:

Kentiopsis oliviformis

Kentiopsis oliviformis YES !

Burretiokentia hapala YES !

Dypsis prestoniana YES !

Upside down because of the Hurricana DUMILE last month ..

Cyphophoenix nucele, probably but not sure ...

Pretty sure it is Dypsis saintelucei.

Yep! Sorry for that one. Leaflets are actually too narrow for a Cypho nucele... I think you are right, it's got to be Dypsis saintelucei.

Fantastique....

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

magnifique

A very nice collection

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Superbe!

How old is this Parc des Palmiers?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Very nice photography and subject matter. How do you get your pictures to post full size without having to click on it?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil