IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

-Palm photos for Bob Riffle

bgl

Queman58/Bret's posting of a Beccariophoenix photo made me think of many of the comments RLR made, on the Forum, and presumably in private conversations as well, about palms that he really liked. I don't think it's appropriate to begin adding photos to the other thread in this section, which is why I'm starting a new thread. How about photos of all the palms that Bob, at some point in time, told us that he liked? This could become a photo gallery in his memory with all his favorite palms, and maybe a few others as well!

I also plan on planting a palm in his memory, and I know many others who intend to do the same thing. Personally, I think it would be nice if we start a new, and separate, thread with photos of those palms. Maybe a photo right after the palm has been planted, and then updates every now and then over the years. In other words, TWO photo threads; this one with his favorite palms, and another one with the palms planted in his memory. Whoever plants the first palm is welcome to begin the other thread!

I remember Bob made a comment right after I had joined the Forum that he liked Licuala ramsayi, so I'm starting off with two ramsayi photos, a day photo and a night shot.

post-22-1155606105_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a night shot of Licuala ramsayi fronds.

post-22-1155606151_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well I think I am going to plant a Needle Palm here in Honor of Bob. It may not be his favorite palm, but I know it will never die here. Its a nice little one I got from Danny L(Palmazon) while I was in SoCal a month or so ago.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Not sure if this was one of his favorite palms, but he made a comment about the photo when I posted it a couple months ago.  Anyway, here's a Marojejya insignis

post-74-1155748482_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Amazondk started a thread about fishing in the Amazon a little more than a week ago.  He posted photos of Mauritia flexuosa colonies.  I made the following comment:

>>> I find that Mauritia flexuosa in habitat is one of the most impressive sights.  Really awesome! <<<  

Then Bob chimed in:

Robert, I couldn't agreeMORE: NOTHING in nature is more spectacular.

Today I went out to photograph these Mauritia that grow close to where I work.  They are not habitat photos Bob, but these Mauritia are for you.

Mauritiaflexuosa009.jpg

I hope that in the not too distant future some grand, new palm discovery will be named after you, so that after we are gone others will continue to recognize your work in popularizing the palm tree.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

112beh9.jpg

There was a thread "your favorite palms" once and I remember vividly that Robert picked Corypha umbraculifera as one of his favorite ones. So here is one ( or two) for you, Robert.

I wish I could plant Corypha in his honor but I can't do it where I live.

Anna

• Upvote 1

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

"God in his wisdom made the fly

And then forgot to tell us why"

-Ogden Nash

Great photos! Here's a brand new Corypha umbraculifera frond.

post-22-1155870404_thumb.jpg

Here's a brand new Corypha umbraculifera frond.

That makes me swoon!  Where's the s. sofa?

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Here's the first Kerriodoxa photo for Bob!

post-22-1156145399_thumb.jpg

And here's the second one, from our "Kerriodoxa Valley"

post-22-1156145454_thumb.jpg

Bo, those leave (leaf) me breathless!  And feeling very wistful.  

In my Garden Mafia group of friends, we talk about our ideal house:  a geodesic dome filled with palms and tropical plants.  It's our only hope in the Seattle area of growing so many of those great specimens.  

Thanks for the pictures.  Someday I hope to take a few of my own of those same plants.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

OK, another one to add to the list: Pigafetta!

post-22-1156183736_thumb.jpg

With reference to the other thread, here's a Joey altifrons (posted the photo elsewhere the other week).

post-22-1156458447_thumb.jpg

Bo, that is so incredibly beautiful.  (Where have I heard that word before?)  

Where did you photograph it?

D.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

About 50 ft off our main driveway! :)

• 4 months later...

Great stuff Bo!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B