IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Miami Biennial 2014

Walter John

I've received a half dozen complaint calls yesterday about the upcoming Biennial being expensive. We did all we could to make this as affordable as possible. A Biennial earlier in the year would have been more expensive because that is peak tourist season in south Florida. After the month of May when hotel rates are considerably cheaper, we ran the risk of having the rainy season interfere with all or part of the event. The humidity is also not oppressive yet in May.

A few individuals were upset that the “Florida discount” didn’t encompass more Florida counties. When booking hotels and negotiating a cheaper group rate, you are committed to meeting a minimum quantity room count. If we had expanded the number of discount eligible counties, a large portion of Florida residents would not stay in a hotel and jeopardize meeting our minimum room number count. This is why a “No Hotel” option could not be offered.

Someone else complained that the Key West hotel was somewhat removed from Old Town. We tried to avoid this but there were no affordable hotels large enough to accommodate the group near Old Town Key West. The affordable hotels were much too small and the larger hotels were very expensive. The hotel we chose will provide shuttle transportation to and from Old Town Key West.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions and/or concerns.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

So sorry Ray that you've had to deal with those calls when I know everyone worked hard to keep prices as low as possible. I think your email is clear as to the constraints you and others involved have faced.

Everyone in the continental U.S. should consider the much lower airfare this year. For those in Florida, keep in mind that you don't need to budget for airfare at all and perhaps fewer travel days missed from work compared to some of us.

So I expect some far away locations can provide more economical lodging and meals, but higher transportation costs, for those in the U.S. to get there. Over the years and around the globe, it probably evens out.

Sounds like a not to be missed Biennial so I hope to see all of you!

Cindy Adair

I have 16 people that have reserved a spot on the floor at our house. Ray, what would be a fare price to charge them and should I charge extra for food, drinks, toiletries, and unlimited time for touring my yard? Seed collection would be off limits though...........

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have 16 people that have reserved a spot on the floor at our house. Ray, what would be a fare price to charge them and should I charge extra for food, drinks, toiletries, and unlimited time for touring my yard? Seed collection would be off limits though...........

Sounds great. Is parking included?

regarding the post by Ray Tampa “I've received a half dozen complaint calls yesterday about the upcoming Biennial”

I’ve been on the receiving end of complaints as a volunteer Board member for other organizations. There is a difference between constructive feedback and complaints. Part of that difference is in how we express our opinions. I appreciate the efforts that Ray and others do on our behalf. If you feel the same please find some opportunities to let our IPS Board members and volunteers know they are appreciated.

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Anyone behind managing and assisting with these huge events deserve more than a medal that's for sure. I see the costs for the early rego are almost the same as what it was for the previous biennial in Thailand, well done.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I signed up for this and knew when everything was said and done, some would be unhappy. I remind people that complain

that I'm one of the Floridians that has to pay full price. That means I should be pissed off at myself. :mrlooney:

I will be in South Florida during the biennial, but not an official participant. I simply cannot afford it. I could care less about touring gardens and being in the official group. My only reason for coming will be to meet some of the folks from PalmTalk with whom I correspond but who I have never met. I will just have to make do with the unofficial pre and after parties.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I considered reserving, but figured there would be 50 there. :indifferent: I may be on the "Quad-einnial" plan...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I considered reserving, but figured there would be 50 there. :indifferent: I may be on the "Quad-einnial" plan...

Bill, Andrea has that one "free pass" that's being held back for that one special guest. All inclusive, meals, transportation, seed collecting and one a day foot massage. Your in the running, don't worry.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill, Andrea has that one "free pass" that's being held back for that one special guest. All inclusive, meals, transportation, seed collecting and one a day foot massage. Your in the running, don't worry.

I still got the tool shed bungalow reserved, right Jeff? ^_^

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Jeff can I stay in the shade house? I hear there is an open bar and wild party's after hours.

seriously though I am looking forward to seeing all my palm friends once again.

See you guys soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, I may now have to cancel my reservation. I did not read the fine print about the seed collecting!!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Jeff, I may now have to cancel my reservation. I did not read the fine print about the seed collecting!!

Robert

Robert,

Come on, with your tropical paradise that your living in, you must have every palm species known to man by now. Really hope you can make it, it's been a loooooong time since your last visit here. :winkie:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Up to 19 reservations now. Yes, one small infant included now. :rant:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Ray, I think I'll just lock myself into going no matter what. I'd love to visit some Cali and FL folk prior and/or post, Troy style, but with a bigger ego, who's game to let me in there door

Thanks Ray, I think I'll just lock myself into going no matter what. I'd love to visit some Cali and FL folk prior and/or post, Troy style, but with a bigger ego, who's game to let me in there door ?

I'm game Wal. You & any other Palm Talkers are welcome here at Palm Island any time. I'm about 45 mins north of Miami & there are some awesome gardens in Palm Beach. B)

Randy, I would love to visit your garden one day!

I will be in South Florida during the biennial, but not an official participant. I simply cannot afford it. I could care less about touring gardens and being in the official group. My only reason for coming will be to meet some of the folks from PalmTalk with whom I correspond but who I have never met. I will just have to make do with the unofficial pre and after parties.

Keith, I would like to meet you and show you some of my palms as well as my father's. I am sure you will be getting together with Ken Johnson--he knows us well and usually sets aside a tour for Palmtalkers. Should be lots of fun and good palmy conversations!

"Randy, I would love to visit your garden one day!"

Anytime Andrew. I love tourists :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Up to 19 reservations now. Yes, one small infant included now. :rant:

Babies are precious Jeff, unless they are over 21.

Keith, I would like to meet you and show you some of my palms as well as my father's. I am sure you will be getting together with Ken Johnson--he knows us well and usually sets aside a tour for Palmtalkers. Should be lots of fun and good palmy conversations!

That would be awesome. I am looking forward to it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Do you have a stay in a van down by the river and pedal your bicycle behind the tour bus rate?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Ray and everyone else volunteering their time to make Miami happen. I am really looking forward to seeing Fairchild and Montgomery and meeting more of you from PT as I did at Nong Nooch!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Thanks to Ray and everyone else volunteering their time to make Miami happen. I am really looking forward to seeing Fairchild and Montgomery and meeting more of you from PT as I did at Nong Nooch!

Lee

Hi Keith,

Just getting around to this thread....... I'm glad you'll be at the Biennial and am looking forward to meeting you.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Well, my husband just decided today to pass on the Biennial this time around. It's a shame because I think he'd enjoy it. It does help our family budget quite a bit though. I've informed him clearly that I need no further Christmas, Birthday and Mother's Day gifts this time around. Just wrap up a copy of the itinerary and put it in a big box and I'll act surprised!

Our kids already make faces at us because we often give each other small gifts at Christmas from the plentiful local thrift stores. That way if we don't need it we can just donate it back in January and help out that charity twice and no hurt feelings. It helps take the stress out of the Holidays for our family.

Cindy Adair

• 5 months later...

Just over 4 weeks before we depart for LA, oh boy, hasn't the time flown. Getting excited now, I hope I have enough Op Shop hawaiian shirts for the trip.:)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more excited now that the Biennial is getting closer - also doing the Cuba Post-Tour with some great palm pals I met on the South Thailand Pre-Tour. I look forward to seeing old friends and making some new friends in Miami - palm people are good people!

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is arriving early and would like to visit a local nursery that ships, I'm considering a cab ride from the hotel of about 5 miles to Palm Hammock. It has some shady pleasant display gardens and although specializing in begonias, usually has some surprises. Here's their website http://palmhammockorchidest.tripod.com/phoe.html .

I'm certainly open to any ideas and could (and have) spend days in the Loxahatchee/Ft. Lauderdale/Davie/Homestead areas, there just isn't time for me on this trip. I'd considered Durkos (never been) and the Kampong (been once years ago) but may have to keep it short.

I'm available sometime after my flight arrives at 9:45 am Friday so PM me if you're interested.

Cindy Adair

Thanks to palmislandRandy for a great suggestion to visit a special nursery less than 3 miles from the host hotel on Friday afternoon the 23rd! They sell unusual Tropicals and are open only by appointment as the nursery is at their home. If you are interested, PM me or catch me in the hotel before 2 pm.

Cindy Adair