IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Miami Biennial 2014

Walter John

Good morning,

We are 95% certain the hotels will be the Miami Dadeland Marriott and the Doubletree Grand Key resorts.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the dates

see you there

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Ray will the hotel in Key West be within walking distance to old town and all of the gardens in Key West?

JIm,

I googled the hotel location.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Doubletree+Grand+Key+resort&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Doubletree+Grand+Key+resort&cid=0,0,9933790396396226923&ei=soajUf2gDMzcqAHE4IHwCg&ved=0CMQBEPwSMAA

It is very close to the entrance to the island. Turn left as soon as you get on the island and go about a 1/4 mile. Hotel is on the right.

So, to answer your question, unless you enjoy a very good stretch of the legs, it is not walking distance to Old Town. I understand that the resort provides free shuttles though.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Hey Jim,

Finding an affordable hotel, situated near Old Town that can accomodate a group our size was impossible. We tried but were unsuccessful. The Doubletree has a free shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour.

The hotel IS close to the Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical Garden. I was there several years ago. Not a bad little collection of tropical/Caribbean type plants.

http://www.keywestbotanicalgarden.org/

One of the things they do is set up LEGAL trips to a certain island about 90 miles to the south. Just FYI.

http://www.kwbgs.org/news.asp?id=163

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Hey Jim,

Finding an affordable hotel, situated near Old Town that can accomodate a group our size was impossible. We tried but were unsuccessful. The Doubletree has a free shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour.

I've stayed at that hotel. Not the greatest but as Ray stated, affordable and can accomodate. I don't believe many attendees would appreciate an extra $800 on the cost of the biennel to stay in Key West one night. The Doubletree charges $400 per night in the peak of the season - so you can see what Ray's has had to deal with. The Doubletree is just minutesfrom old town via the shuttle.

I worked for an Elevator company about 16 years ago that actually bought a condo in Key West because the hotel rates for were killing them every time the had to send down a repair team. It's not very cheap in paradise ... :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

So whats the price to be expected for biennial? Its not in the peak season :)

We're in the process of working with the event planner (tour company) and once this is finalized, the registration costs will be available. Please remember that for some of the more recent Biennials, the registration costs weren't established until about 6-8 months before the event. I know it seems like this is taking forever but we're actually way ahead of schedule. This event is "still" 12 months away.

I know that buses are very expensive to charter by the day. At events I was involved with, they were $500 per day per bus. We will have four buses probably, and on top of that there are probably overnight charges. Still, the Bi-ennials are usually good values.

Is there an option "out" of the hotels for locals?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Jerry, there will be a partial registration available for locals.

Thanks Ray, I think I'll just lock myself into going no matter what. I'd love to visit some Cali and FL folk prior and/or post, Troy style, but with a bigger ego, who's game to let me in there door ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh man I can't wait! Costa Rica was so much fun. Haven't been able to make it to the last 2 but I can drive to Miami! And I won't be buying a house or moving in May.

BTW, when are we going to go to OZ? Is 2016 set already?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Thanks Ray, I think I'll just lock myself into going no matter what. I'd love to visit some Cali and FL folk prior and/or post, Troy style, but with a bigger ego, who's game to let me in there door ?

Wal, you're welcome here at my place, though it'll be kinda dull in comparison to SoFL and it's a 4 hour trip north. The garden here is new and young.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Thanks Ray, I think I'll just lock myself into going no matter what. I'd love to visit some Cali and FL folk prior and/or post, Troy style, but with a bigger ego, who's game to let me in there door

I'm game Wal. You & any other Palm Talkers are welcome here at Palm Island any time. I'm about 45 mins north of Miami & there are some awesome gardens in Palm Beach. B)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I can probably attend this one. Can I drive to the tour places? I don't do bus tours. I would be willing to take 4 other folks in my truck. Maybe some of the folks from this area could ride down with me. I will be retired next year.

The Dadeland Marriott is a great hotel! I've stayed there several times. Maybe I'll have enough points to stay for free.

Wal, you are certainly welcome in our home in western Palm Beach county. The reforestation project should be about done by then.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The tour company proposal is being reviewed and will hopefully be completed by months end. Then (finally!) we'll be able to publish some prices. Thanks to all for their patience.

Wal, keep in mind that it's only a 2.5 hour flight from Miami to Costa Rica...

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff - you have an open invitation to visit Moose Land anytime. Palms & Crotons - for your viewing pleasure!

Maybe you could drag Bren out of St. Pete too. :lol:

Thanks Ron, I hope to take you up on that offer someday.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

i will be in Florida too...but not at the biennial...few weeks earlier....

Costa Rica 2,5 hours flight? :yay: :yay:

i will be in Florida too...but not at the biennial...few weeks earlier....

Costa Rica 2,5 hours flight? :yay: :yay:

Jet Blue just started direct service from Ft Lauderdale to San Jose.........mmmmmmmm :wub:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Jeff - you have an open invitation to visit Moose Land anytime. Palms & Crotons - for your viewing pleasure!

Maybe you could drag Bren out of St. Pete too. :lol:

There's a lot of private gardens here in the south Florida area. Hint hint. Soooo time might be a factor.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

United Airlines $325 return Miami / San Jose, interesting. Oh I just re-read this thread, thanks to all for the warm comments.

Is there any confirmed destinations on the Pre or Post tours ? If I'm going all that way, I may as well go the full hog as long as I can afford it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi all, hoping to make it to my first biennial as well,just need to find out the price for the Total package(airfares,accomodation,spending money etc,etc) and hopefully sell some palms to the Botanical gardens here in Aus to make this trip happen.Brother Andy is hoping to be there as well.....hope we get there,cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL) :)

• Upvote 1

I may as well go the full hog as long as I can afford it.

Suweeeee...hope to meet ya

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Now i really cant fail it! :)

Sure hope you can make it to Miami Rafael. It would be a real void if you don't come!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

It's time for everyone to be putting a bit aside each month so we can all get to the Biennial! Christmas and Birthdays make good times for gift certificates towards costs as well. I'm making sure I'm using credit cards that offer points to cover airfare. Yep, still buying palms, but conserving on everything else!

Actually, due to an airline overbooking our flight back from a Chicago meeting recently, three of us hung around some extra hours and got credits of over $500 EACH on an airline that flies to Miami. I'd never been able to "help out the airline" before, but I think my airfare is covered!

Since I didn't have proper import forms in Thailand, there wasn't a need to save for plant purchases. I realize I'll need to allow some $$ for Florida temptations. So back to penny pinching for me.

Cindy Adair

All I know is, finally, I don't have to fly somewhere!!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

All I know is, finally, I don't have to fly somewhere!!!

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It's time for everyone to be putting a bit aside each month so we can all get to the Biennial! Christmas and Birthdays make good times for gift certificates towards costs as well. I'm making sure I'm using credit cards that offer points to cover airfare. Yep, still buying palms, but conserving on everything else!

Actually, due to an airline overbooking our flight back from a Chicago meeting recently, three of us hung around some extra hours and got credits of over $500 EACH on an airline that flies to Miami. I'd never been able to "help out the airline" before, but I think my airfare is covered!

Since I didn't have proper import forms in Thailand, there wasn't a need to save for plant purchases. I realize I'll need to allow some $$ for Florida temptations. So back to penny pinching for me.

Searle Brothers Nursery takes Credit Cards - you may be bruising yours when you see his stuff :mrlooney:

I actually made it to one of the spectacular Searle sales several years ago when I had just found Palmtalk. The only reason I didn't have to empty my bank account then was that I could only take what would fit as luggage. Since then I've gotten a bit better at packing though!

As I recall, after visiting several nurseries on that trip, I scrounged for a box at a drugstore and mailed my clothes home so my plants could travel more quickly with me.

So yes, my clothes will still come from thrift stores since I'd rather buy plants!

Cindy Adair

I actually made it to one of the spectacular Searle sales several years ago when I had just found Palmtalk. The only reason I didn't have to empty my bank account then was that I could only take what would fit as luggage. Since then I've gotten a bit better at packing though!

As I recall, after visiting several nurseries on that trip, I scrounged for a box at a drugstore and mailed my clothes home so my plants could travel more quickly with me.

So yes, my clothes will still come from thrift stores since I'd rather buy plants!

I can so identify with that...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Now i really cant fail it! :)

Sure hope you can make it to Miami Rafael. It would be a real void if you don't come!

Thank you Al, i will do my best to be there :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

well, it looks like I may not get there, $$$$, but please, get there if you can, I still might.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

well, it looks like I may not get there, $$$$, but please, get there if you can, I still might.

I got your lunch one day. There, now that's a start.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried checking rates on the Doubletree Grand Key in Key West for the dates while in Key West and it says no rooms are available. I am
guessing the travel company is reserving rooms for this period for IPS. So no one else can book them. Is that correct? The rates for the rooms around that date were $227 per night 2 adults. Marriott Dadeland were $278 per night. Advanced purchase. But that is not the hopefully really good discounted rate we will get from IPS. :D

Check out Lucinda's posts on the Palmateer if you want some more enticing hints about May's options!

Don't be shy, when they ask, tell everyone their Christmas present, Anniversary, Valentine's Day, Birthday, etc. in 2013 to you should be to contribute to your Biennial fund. You can always send them a t shirt or palm picture afterwards to show you had a great time. It will fit you perfectly, won't break and you'll love it.

Cindy Adair