IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Miami Biennial 2014

Walter John

Hello, I need to know the dates of the Miami biennial to progress any arrangements I need to make, are we getting closer to known dates?

There are some other events that coincide around the March period of 2014 that I may or may not be involved in depending on when the biennial is set. I need to know very soon, sorry to bug anyone, I understand Ray is Chairing. Hi Ray.

I would have thought that accommodation would have been organised by now, has it been ? (yes, that's a leading question)

Thanks for any updates.

Wal

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

GATORBALLZ!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

post-1729-0-91561700-1358595464_thumb.jppost-1729-0-26894300-1358595487_thumb.pn

A very valid question Wal. Some people need to put in for time off from work in advance. If March 2014 is the target date - we are only 14.5 months away. :interesting:

I am currently saving up for the air fare. :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

To all,

The 2014 Miami Biennial will be held in May. I need to check the exact dates, but I'm pretty sure it's at the end of the month sometime.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

To all,

The 2014 Miami Biennial will be held in May. I need to check the exact dates, but I'm pretty sure it's at the end of the month sometime.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that helps me heaps, I can sort some things now.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh no. I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Ireland sometime in May 2014 :( . Hopefully the dates don't overlap & I can at least make it to Miami for a long weekend.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Please avoid May 18, 2014. My daughter graduates from college (in California) that date..... I sincerely doubt that her college will agree to change the date unless I made a really large monetary contribution which I can't afford--- even if I curbed my palm purchases. I don't think the $10 bill I found last Wednesday would do it.

Cindy Adair

refer to post #3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Miami is pretty much in my backyard, so after not making it to the last two biennials that I thought I would have attended I have got to make it to this one. I sure hope that the coverage of the Thai biennial is finished by then :asleep::asleep::asleep: .

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I am not allowed to have vacations on May, but i just can't imagine i wont he there! That will be a hard fight but i expect to win it :)

I am not allowed to have vacations on May, but i just can't imagine i wont he there! That will be a hard fight but i expect to win it :)

Great! Hope you can make it.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Please avoid May 18, 2014. My daughter graduates from college (in California) that date..... I sincerely doubt that her college will agree to change the date unless I made a really large monetary contribution which I can't afford--- even if I curbed my palm purchases. I don't think the $10 bill I found last Wednesday would do it.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure your safe. Hope you can make it.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Don't fight, just get "a severe case of the flu" and bring a Doctor's note. :rolleyes:

And hope your boss does not see you partying your butt off at the Miami Biennial here on Palm Talk. :lol:

Great! Hope you can make it.

Thanks Jeff :)

Don't fight, just get "a severe case of the flu" and bring a Doctor's note. :rolleyes:

And hope your boss does not see you partying your butt off at the Miami Biennial here on Palm Talk. :lol:

Thats my hope... :hmm:

Rafael, you'll love Miami but you'll have to change yor avatar! Maybe with a large flamingo lifting you up over its head! Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Look forward to being there

Rafael, you can do it!!

see you in a few months

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

If you go Raf, I'll go.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Perfect time of the year to go...tax refund season!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

May is a very nice, comfortable time of the year here in south Florida.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

307 views and 22 replies in 10 days and the Biennial is more than a year away! I'd say many of us are excited already.

Cindy Adair

Would the local people be able to attend individual events? Does anyone know what the policy going to be on that?

So far looking like the most anticipated biennial ever. Jeff, will you carry on Khun Kampon's legacy of making it the best biennial ever?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

The itinerary is still being tweaked and the Biennial committee is aiming to have a final version ready this spring. Of course, specifics can't be discussed until the actual Biennial dates get closer. You wouldn't want me to ruin the surprise would you?! Yes, there will be partial registration available for locals. These details are also being worked out. More soon.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The itinerary is still being tweaked and the Biennial committee is aiming to have a final version ready this spring. Of course, specifics can't be discussed until the actual Biennial dates get closer. You wouldn't want me to ruin the surprise would you?! Yes, there will be partial registration available for locals. These details are also being worked out. More soon.

Ray - I know its early but has a participant cap been discussed? Something tells me that this is going to be a very well attended Biennel.

The difficulty with orgainizing a large number of IPS members is that "its like herding cats". :P

One of my favorite quotes from Paul Craft at the Costa Rican Biennel watching the buses unloading! :lol:

Looking forward to being there. Hooray!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Looks like a busy month. Florida Native Plant Society will be in the Ft. Myers area.

I suppose a vanload of southern Californians could come by land, but that's almost eight days of driving to and from.

Florida is balmy right now. We might have the coldest night of the winter on Feb. 16, but so far, it doesn't look so bad. I took a quick look at mostly un-palmy Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales today, and the azaleas, camellias, and bromeliads were flowering. Lots of bromeliads. I have no prognostications for next winter.

post-275-0-30751900-1360554790_thumb.jpg

Silver saw palmettos (Serenoa repens), probably grown from seed collected on Atlantic beaches, along a path at Bok Tower Gardens, with flowering viburnum bushes.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 months later...

Ray, Any chance there will be a pre or post Cuba trip? Can it be arrainged?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

To all,

Jeff

Jeff, do you already have the exact dates?

Rafael, it looks now like the dates will be May 24-31, 2014.

Randy, we're looking into a couple of possibilities for the post trip. Cuba is one of them but it's still too early for that stuff to be etched in stone.

Rafael, it looks now like the dates will be May 24-31, 2014.

Randy, we're looking into a couple of possibilities for the post trip. Cuba is one of them but it's still too early for that stuff to be etched in stone.

Thanks Ray! I know you guys/gals are working hard and putting a lot of hours in. Thanks very much!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Some very general information about the 2014 South Florida/Key West Biennial is now available on the IPS website (palms.org). The actual venues are still being finalized but at the very least, you can save the date! We're still a few months away from knowing what the registration costs will be.

http://www.palms.org/biennial_2014.cfm

Thanks Ray, what hotel would that be ?

Saturday, 24 May - Attendees fly into Miami International Airport. Welcome banquet at the hotel.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

To all,

Jeff

Airfare for you will be cheap . . . :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ah, your not kidding. And as much as I like to travel, but it will be nice to be close to home finally. I look forward to attending this one!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Ray, what hotel would that be ?

Saturday, 24 May - Attendees fly into Miami International Airport. Welcome banquet at the hotel.

any aditional informations?