IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to grow a Coconut in Southern California?

DoomsDave

scream

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Heres the horrendous Coconut in Oceanside from a couple years ago... It did look a little better then as he had just taken the shadecloth down.

post-27-0-93719000-1359241693_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

THANK YOU BILL!

How about some a that James Brown

Get up ah

Git on up

AH GIT UP AH

GIT ON UP!

Ahem.

Blow yo' mind . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...

Here's a picture of mine in Santa Ana (Orange County, CA) - from around January-ish this year. I had it on my phone and had wanted meant to post it, but didn't get around to it. We've had a fairly mild winter, so while it hasn't grown much - it's still looking fair.

AS in SA,

Santa Ana - CA.

Heres the horrendous Coconut in Oceanside from a couple years ago... It did look a little better then as he had just taken the shadecloth down.

attachicon.gifIMG_1899.JPG

RIP.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I saw the seasonal potted sprouts at the big orange box over the weekend. You just KNOW they are going to die, but they are so darn CUTE when they are small! :rolleyes::wub:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I saw the seasonal potted sprouts at the big orange box over the weekend. You just KNOW they are going to die, but they are so darn CUTE when they are small! :rolleyes::wub:

Yup, and several years ago I was lured into getting one. Got it in May, it only took me 2 months to kill it. :) I think our nightly Summer overcast froze it to death. I think the cells must decompose when the temperature drops below 60F.

Why even bother with these in SoCal

if were gna have the hybrid look alikes.

Im waiting on availability of the

Butia x C. nucifera

Syagrus x C. nucifera

from Seabreeze or Erik SJI.

Cheers.

I don't know why you guys keep saying cocos don't grow in California. They grow into beautiful specimens. Just feast your eyes on this baby! It's absolute flawless. It's seen temps down to 26f this winter and never skipped a beat. By far the easiest palm in my garden.

5A174A40-50D9-47D1-A0FD-7877A4C67A4E-535

The Santee coconut! You should have seen my Escondido Cyrtostachys renda's and my Corypha umbraculifera! I should have taken pictures... But I guarantee that they were every bit as nice as your coconut! :D

Now calm down you guys. I think that you are just jealous!

:floor: LOL...FUNNY :floor:

Hi Coconut palm fans,

At the end of the day I guess everyone who contributes to this thread is actually a fan of this palm. This might explain why the discussions especially about this tree growing in almost not possible conditions often enough become so emotional.

I totally understand why some people think how pointless it is trying to grow them in moderate climates. Obviously they will never look as stunning as in tropical climates but who can say that there are only perfect looking trees in their garden.

I must admit that my only survivor (1 out of 4) gives me so much pleasure that it is absolutely worth of all that disappointment to get there. I just want to share my excitement since our climate seems to be very similar to coastal SoCal.

The story about this palm is quickly told. I bought it as a seedling and it grew 4 years in a pot, outdoors in a warm spot but not sheltered from cool winter rain. The pot was standing on 2x10W heat pads for about 5 months a year. It's almost 3 years in the ground at the current spot and survived 2 winters so far. The same pads are on top of the soil and will be switched on this winter again. I dug also 2 heat cables in but I was never happy with their performance so I didn't switch them on last winter. The spot in the driveway is obviously protected and sunny but only for a few hours in winter. It gets shady about 3pm all year long.

I wished that I had only perfect looking palms in my garden. But truth is that there is a whole bunch of specimen which are supposed to look good but they don't. And others which are not even 'allowed' to grow here look fairly ok. What a strange world-almost like in real life :mrlooney:

Finally I want to thank everyone, especially Dave for keeping up those 'pointless' threads which are to some of us even highlights. Furthermore I want to motivate everyone who hasn't tried yet to grow coconuts even though it is a frustrating exercise at some stage.

All the best,

Wolfie

post-700-0-69187700-1368258389_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cape Town, Table View

1km from the Atlantic Ocean

Lat: -33.8541, Lon: 18.4888

Mild summers between 17-30 and wet winters 6-20 degree celcius

Average rainfall 500mm

That looks like a burgeoning Newport coconut to me. Same type of environment as the Newport coconut, surrounded by concrete. It may never look nice like in the tropics, but you might have a chance at getting it to grow at least as nice as the Newport one.

Hi Coconut palm fans,

At the end of the day I guess everyone who contributes to this thread is actually a fan of this palm. This might explain why the discussions especially about this tree growing in almost not possible conditions often enough become so emotional.

I totally understand why some people think how pointless it is trying to grow them in moderate climates. Obviously they will never look as stunning as in tropical climates but who can say that there are only perfect looking trees in their garden.

I must admit that my only survivor (1 out of 4) gives me so much pleasure that it is absolutely worth of all that disappointment to get there. I just want to share my excitement since our climate seems to be very similar to coastal SoCal.

The story about this palm is quickly told. I bought it as a seedling and it grew 4 years in a pot, outdoors in a warm spot but not sheltered from cool winter rain. The pot was standing on 2x10W heat pads for about 5 months a year. It's almost 3 years in the ground at the current spot and survived 2 winters so far. The same pads are on top of the soil and will be switched on this winter again. I dug also 2 heat cables in but I was never happy with their performance so I didn't switch them on last winter. The spot in the driveway is obviously protected and sunny but only for a few hours in winter. It gets shady about 3pm all year long.

I wished that I had only perfect looking palms in my garden. But truth is that there is a whole bunch of specimen which are supposed to look good but they don't. And others which are not even 'allowed' to grow here look fairly ok. What a strange world-almost like in real life :mrlooney:

Finally I want to thank everyone, especially Dave for keeping up those 'pointless' threads which are to some of us even highlights. Furthermore I want to motivate everyone who hasn't tried yet to grow coconuts even though it is a frustrating exercise at some stage.

All the best,

Wolfie

congrats! seeing this gives me hope that it could be done in southern spain! maybe malaga?

It's a long way to get a proper trunk growing but that's what dreams are about. I'm afraid that I will need a taller gate then since the wind is howling over it.

Malaga, why not. I've been to Tarifa various times many years ago and I was always stunned how mild the nights were even in the middle of winter. Try to protect it from winter rain in the first years and some extra heat always helps. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I find it quite interesting that the coconut doesn't show any leave spots yet even though we had a low of 11 degrees Celsius already and quite a few nights below 15 Celsius. In the same driveway is also an Adonidia Merillii which has a few spots already which suggests that it is more sensitive to the cold. Funny enough it doesn't get heated at all and enjoys less sun but still survived 2 winters already (1 in a pot and 1 in the ground). Let's see what this winter will teach us.

Cape Town, Table View

1km from the Atlantic Ocean

Lat: -33.8541, Lon: 18.4888

Mild summers between 17-30 and wet winters 6-20 degree celcius

Average rainfall 500mm

Great, fun thread!

I'm all for pointless! Bring on the challenge!

Time to try this trick again and see if I can get one to germinate!

-Erik

Nebraska 5b!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 3 months later...

I took this picture yesterday at a box store in San Diego. So looks like there are plenty of trial material. Kind of expensive though compare to what the same size goes for at the same store in Sarasota ($9.95). I should've asked an associate at the garden center advise on growing these. If they are as "sophisticated" as they are where I live, they would've probably told me to just plant it and it will "do great". Would've been fun.

attachicon.gifphoto (15).JPG

Do you mind telling me which "big box store" that was? Tag looks like depot... Those must have been fresh off of the truck... Still, $25 may be worth the experiment...

I took this picture yesterday at a box store in San Diego. So looks like there are plenty of trial material. Kind of expensive though compare to what the same size goes for at the same store in Sarasota ($9.95). I should've asked an associate at the garden center advise on growing these. If they are as "sophisticated" as they are where I live, they would've probably told me to just plant it and it will "do great". Would've been fun.

Do you mind telling me which "big box store" that was? Tag looks like depot... Those must have been fresh off of the truck... Still, $25 may be worth the experiment...

HD. Whichever one is the closest one to the Marriott in La Jolla.

KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!

That's right. And keep the original pot too. If it dies within a year - dig it out, put it back in the pot and they'll take it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well one of the few good things of living in a cold climate is that you will certainly never get killed by a falling coconut! In tropical parts of the World where they are grown everwhere as a crop like Malaysia its not uncommon accidents happen with falling coconuts.

Alexander

Spotted coconuts at home depot in Riverside today, and on top of it, I saw some pretty nice foxtails. Buy a foxtail and keep your receipt.

• 3 weeks later...

Well one of the few good things of living in a cold climate is that you will certainly never get killed by a falling coconut! In tropical parts of the World where they are grown everwhere as a crop like Malaysia its not uncommon accidents happen with falling coconuts.

Alexander

You see, there is always a positive side to everything.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bump

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

attachicon.gifIMG_1899.JPG

"Put the lime in da coconut and drink it all up" :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 years later...

Just gather up a heap of nuts from under a good fruiting cv. and wait until it gets good and hot and they sprout like crazy .

P1020489.thumb.JPG.9463e7dad92e0d8418cb5

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

scream

That Newport Beach coconut has given up the ghost, dead, kaput!  I drive that stretch of highway often and it died a slooow death (queue the dirge).

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

In San Diego last week I visited the Del Mar Coconut and it's doing great! Actually I've been watching that thing for the last 4 years and it's never looked better. Not sure if Steve is still there taking care of it. Also all the palms in that resort are a bit overpruned, including the coconut. Still 5 healthy leaves and a healthy spear with 5+ feet of trunk. It was dark and it grows behind a bunch of pygmy dates where it's not easy to photograph, so excuse the quality.

IMG_5422_modpt.JPG

IMG_5432_modpt.JPG

IMG_5420_modpt.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2015, 2:53:25, Danilopez89 said:

I was thinking this thread old needed something...

IMG_20150604_36399.thumb.jpg.75dab423f84

Cali cocoNUTS

R.I.P "Palm Desert CocoNut":crying:

You know, they probably removed it because those coconuts would be falling right on the pathway to the front door.

5 hours ago, sarasota alex said:

In San Diego last week I visited the Del Mar Coconut and it's doing great! Actually I've been watching that thing for the last 4 years and it's never looked better. Not sure if Steve is still there taking care of it. Also all the palms in that resort are a bit overpruned, including the coconut. Still 5 healthy leaves and a healthy spear with 5+ feet of trunk. It was dark and it grows behind a bunch of pygmy dates where it's not easy to photograph, so excuse the quality.

IMG_5422_modpt.JPG

IMG_5432_modpt.JPG

IMG_5420_modpt.JPG

Steve isn't there anymore. Good to see its still alive. I'll have to send him a pic of it. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

6 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

Steve isn't there anymore. Good to see its still alive. I'll have to send him a pic of it. 

Did he move to Hawaii like he's been planning?

• 4 weeks later...

I unfortunately missed the Palm Meetings in the Desert of SoCal this November.  I got the notice too late.  

Could I get the address(s) of the locations of these coconuts in Palm Desert or La Quinta? 

I just planted one in Palm Springs at my friends home off Sunrise and El Mirador in the Colony at El Mirador.  I hope it survives the winter, if not I'll replant in April or May.  

Brian Bruning

Brian,

It's better to plant cold sensitive palms like coconuts in the Spring or early Summer, especially in areas where they are really marginal.  I hope that one you just planted survives, but I wouldn't advise planting one in November or December even as far south as Brownsville, TX because it just wouldn't have an adequate amount of time to get established before winter.  Even in the northern parts of South Florida, it's probably not a good idea to plant one this time of year.

John

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Brian Bruning said:

I unfortunately missed the Palm Meetings in the Desert of SoCal this November.  I got the notice too late.  

Could I get the address(s) of the locations of these coconuts in Palm Desert or La Quinta? 

I just planted one in Palm Springs at my friends home off Sunrise and El Mirador in the Colony at El Mirador.  I hope it survives the winter, if not I'll replant in April or May.  

Keep us apprized!

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my phone number so we can have a Coconut Hotline in Southern California.

Can anyone give me the address of these coconuts in the SoCal desert?  I go to Palm Springs often in the winter.

Brian Bruning