IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

19 F (-7.222 C) at the Big H

Alberto

The Huntington took a hard hit.

As soon as I saw the oleaners in the parking lot that had been frozen, I knew they'd gotten down to at least 18-19 F for at least one night.

The big palms had little or no damage, but these recently planted Caryota gigas were a different story.

post-208-1169346764_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And more:

The new spears are still cool, and full of moisture, though there's no telling yet what might happen to them.

Sigh.

post-208-1169346845_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

a little tony chacheres makes all fried things taste great!!!!! ouch thats a painfulthing to see, what is the cycad next to those crispy critters?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

tad:

Looks like a Dioon spinulosum of some kind.  Gadzooks, the Big H took a hard hit!

dave

Like watching a horror movie in slow motion. Those photos stir up many of nightmares here in South Florida.

Ryan

South Florida

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 20 2007,21:32)

The big palms had little or no damage,

This has me flummoxed, dave!

Maybe the damage on the big boys will take some time to become apparent?

It is over now, isn't it?

Cheers,

trink39.gif

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Adam,

3-5 meters up it can be 1-2degrees Celsieus warmer.  Helps a lot.

Dave any pics to post of the Cycads behind the conservatory? That was even scarier damage.

BUT, better yet, any pics to post of what was growing just fine 30 feet away, IN the conservatory?  ???  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tad- I agree with Dave, its a Dioon, but maybe not spinulosum, It looks sorta like meijae to me, but I could be wrong.

Dave- That is just awful looking. Those poor Caryotas.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Dave, how does my favorite xButyagrus look? It would have been good if the frost burned the larger Caryotas down next to the Butyagrus, I hate to see that palm get crowded out.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

As soon as I saw the oleaners in the parking lot that had been frozen, I knew they'd gotten down to at least 18-19 F for at least one night.

Big D!

If the Oleanders are defoliating, we are in deep doo-doo! My neighbor had one on the side of his house (fairly well protected, but not "safe") and it takes about 10F or lower before it is toast....comes back every year, though. Even when it gets to 5F.

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Doug- Some Oleander cultivars are more tender than others. I have a pink one I got from a friend in Virginia Beach that has seen 17 F or lower( this winter so far) in the open with just the very tip buds damaged. There is one here about 3 miles from here planted up against a house that is already completely died to the ground, as it has the past 4 years I have been watching it. That one never blooms, but I anticipate mine will. Not all Oleanders are created equal.

Zac

Zac  

Not all Oleanders are created equal.

Zac,

To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that!"

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

(Gtlevine @ Jan. 21 2007,08:09)

Dave, how does my favorite xButyagrus look? It would have been good if the frost burned the larger Caryotas down next to the Butyagrus, I hate to see that palm get crowded out.

Gary

Gary- Didn't miss a beat, looks great!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(NM_PALM_BOY @ Jan. 21 2007,11:48)

Not all Oleanders are created equal.

Zac,

To quote the late, great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that!"

Doug

And now you know that. There are even some Tony Avent sells at Plant Delights, www.plantdelights.com that survived a freeze in Raleigh where the temperature went to -8 or -9 F. There is a hardy red, pink and Double Yellow I believe.

Zac

Zac  

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 21 2007,11:48)

Gary

Bill, did you get any pics of the xButyagrus?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(Gtlevine @ Jan. 21 2007,11:25)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 21 2007,11:48)

Gary

Bill, did you get any pics of the xButyagrus?

Gary

negative ghost rider..

I was in Pasadena this morning @ the old Huntington Hotel/Ritz Carlton near the Big H.  They aren't as adventurous as the Huntington Gardens but it appears over story or sheer size protected the king palms :

HuntingtonH1-21-07.jpg

HuntingtonH1-21-076.jpg

HuntingtonH1-21-072.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

the horridus,the horridus.....(apologies to joseph conrad)

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

heart of darkness, but yes lord jim as well

Abraham Lincoln

PSSCBanquet07-047.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yikes.  Some of those Caryota may be toast.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Just horrible stuff. Some of those cycads may be alright in time. I wish I could say the same for the Caryota's. They were probably just getting some speed up. May you guys never ever see that sort of rubbish weather again.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

in this last week i drive in all parts of tijuana, to san diego california and also to ensenada baja california méxico 90 miles -150 kilometers south of san diego. of what i see of the freeze it was very bad in san diego, less in tijuana - only in east part by highway to go to tecate - and no freeze in any place i see in ensenada. it surpise to me i have low temperature in the nights of freeze of only 41 F - 5 C but in many parts of san diego and even by the ocean was much  colder.

may be the wall the american immigration put on the border also stop some of the cold air ! :P

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Is Huntington the one  in San Marino? I just googled as Im not familiar with Huntington and I got to their website, and all is green!

Huntington Palm Garden

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Larry,

I doubt they would be anxious to update there site with pictures of burned frozen palms! ???  

It really hurts to look at those pics!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

How did the Jubeaopsis make out there?  

There is a report of a Jubeopsis caffra being killed by a simular freeze in the 1950's? .

Best regards,

Ed

Edwin Brown III

the giant Jubeopsis caffra looks unscathed.  All the palms on the lower lawn look fine because either they are so big or the lawns gentle slope allowed for better conditions.  D. slick willy was burned a little and so was Clinostigma savoryanum but not too bad.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i believe i have some pics of the j.caffra--i will add them when i have time...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

D. slick willy was burned a little

Matty,

Which of the palms at the Huntington is the Dypsis "Slick Willy"?

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Quote from huntington site:

A cold winter in 1913, with temperatures dropping to 22 degrees Farenheit, destroyed half of the collection. Most of the lost trees were young or newly planted out, which made them especially vulnerable to the freeze. More young specimens succumbed during the severe winter of 1922, and Hertrich began to doubt that an outdoor collection of palms was suitable for the region's climate. But the trees fared better in subsequent freezes, and by the late 1930s, after searching for palms in California, Europe, and Japan, Hertrich had a thriving collection of 450 plants, representing 148 species.

Which speciesw are all this 148 species.Where can I find a list?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

I'm not aware of any published list of the palm species at the Huntington.  However, someone has posted photos of many of the palms to a website, whose link is below:

Palms of the Huntington Website

Unfortunately, the photos don't bear captions.

Both elHoagie and I live nearby and are familiar with the palm collection.  If you are unable to identify a palm from the photo, maybe we can help.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

(Fred Zone 10A @ Jan. 22 2007,13:18)

D. slick willy was burned a little

Matty,

Which of the palms at the Huntington is the Dypsis "Slick Willy"?

Fred, I believe that we're calling this the D. sp. 'slick willy'.

post-126-1169581485_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Fred, I believe that we're calling this the D. sp. 'slick willy'.

Matt,

Ah, yes, the mystery Dypsis.  I've sort of "adopted" this lovely palm, which has no tag, and often remove the tree leaves that clog its crown.

If this is Dypsis "Slick Willy", then it will grow in my garden, too.

Fred Zone 10A

Yes, very slowly.  It has affinities to D. onilahensis upright form (I think some Fl. growers still call it that) but it's about 5 times slower.  It splits like D. decipiens instead of suckering like D. onily.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"