Sign in to follow this  
BS Man about Palms

First sub- 30's nights of the season

joe_OC
A friend of mine just texted me a photo of his frozen over birdbath in San Clemente, he had a low of 28f! Another friend in Newport Beach had 32f. Could this be the end of the world famous cali coco?

2007 was colder, so it should be fine. I will check on it.

jasons

I really feel for you guys in SoCal. We've been tested here in SE Texas the last 2-3 years so I know what it's like to wonder if this is a 'new normal'. I hope all the preps save your gardens over there.

jasons

Hey guys - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I'd like to chime-in on the thermometer readings. It can be a little tricky or you will not get accurate readings.

Ideally, your thermometer should be in a wooden housing with good air circulation, exactly 2 meters (6ft) above the ground, and far away from any buildings, pavement, asphalt, etc. It should be protected from the sun so that it won't read high during the day, and it can't be left out on the open (uncovered) during the night, because the thermometer will lose heat faster than the air itself and read low. Also, any type of concrete or asphalt will retain heat longer. That's why if you're close the house, the street, or a pool, it will read higher.

So, for example, if you place your thermometer 'on the concrete at ground level' you have at least two factors there working against you.

Anyway, here are some more tips if you are interested:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5571432_proper-location-outdoor-thermometer.html

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/cpm/temperature.php?wfo=sgx

And if you want to get really crazy, here is an old 'official guide' from the NWS:

http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2b.pdf

Part a on the instruments: http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2a.pdf

Edited by jasons

tropicalb

thanks for the links jason...i'm just looking for a general idea of temps, as outlined here in the link you provided:

If Conditions Are Not Ideal

Your living situation may not allow for an ideal sensor placement, as defined by the NWS. If this is the case, you can still obtain results from your thermometer, bearing in mind you are measuring only the air temperature near your building, and not the true air temperature in your wider area

most of my plants are located within 30 feet of my gauge.

Edited by tropicalb

Jim in Los Altos

This morning's low of 33F was my coldest this season. Tender plants like my heliconia are still completely green. That may not be the case after tomorrow's low temp. We'll see.

JEFF IN MODESTO
This morning's low of 33F was my coldest this season. Tender plants like my heliconia are still completely green. That may not be the case after tomorrow's low temp. We'll see.

I had 33f for a low today, though a week or so ago I had the winters low of 30f . All of my tropical, except banana leaves still look good.

Jeff

MattyB

City Farmers in City Heights had a low of 28 f last night.

Gonzer
Hey guys - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I'd like to chime-in on the thermometer readings. It can be a little tricky or you will not get accurate readings.

Ideally, your thermometer should be in a wooden housing with good air circulation, exactly 2 meters (6ft) above the ground, and far away from any buildings, pavement, asphalt, etc. It should be protected from the sun so that it won't read high during the day, and it can't be left out on the open (uncovered) during the night, because the thermometer will lose heat faster than the air itself and read low. Also, any type of concrete or asphalt will retain heat longer. That's why if you're close the house, the street, or a pool, it will read higher.

So, for example, if you place your thermometer 'on the concrete at ground level' you have at least two factors there working against you.

Anyway, here are some more tips if you are interested:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5571432_proper-location-outdoor-thermometer.html

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/cpm/temperature.php?wfo=sgx

And if you want to get really crazy, here is an old 'official guide' from the NWS:

http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2b.pdf

Part a on the instruments: http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2a.pdf

Good stuff to know Jason, thanks.

My low was 32.7.

It's crazy, NOAA's calling for lows in the low 20's, others say different. Too many conflicting meteorological reports.

enigma99

Low of 25 @ 7am... Coldest it has been since 2007 for me. I'm thinking we could match or beat 2007 tonight...

tropicalb

and the hi - lo thermometer that hangs in the center of the greenhouse at my dad's (and this one IS six feet off the ground) read.....

drumroll..............

20°F for the low last nite.

lovely.

BS Man about Palms
A friend of mine just texted me a photo of his frozen over birdbath in San Clemente, he had a low of 28f! Another friend in Newport Beach had 32f. Could this be the end of the world famous cali coco?

I'm actually glad to hear this Bob... having been to "Bob Mountain" before it was named that just after the 2007 event and noting it was relatively unscathed, I am pretty sure you live in a premium spot, just the rest of us don't.... well SOME of us.. I can only imagine how cold Braden got.

BS Man about Palms
and the hi - lo thermometer that hangs in the center of the greenhouse at my dad's (and this one IS six feet off the ground) read.....

drumroll..............

20°F for the low last nite.

lovely.

Having been there... NO surprise at all Its LOWLANDO squared there! amazing his place looks so good if we have "any' cold winters..

And I think I decided that my gauges were not correctly placed in the past and thus I was a good bit warmer than the Oceanside temp location.

At this point, I think my most accurate thing will be both my "in a pot" barely taken care of banana... and the sensor IN my green house. Lowest I have seen there (sometimes not till 7:30 am, but no sun yet) has been 35.9F

oh yeah, the banana looks fine :D

ghar41

Hi Jim,

Im curious to see where you end up tonight and tomorrow. Our dew point right now here in the valley is 22F! Yikes!!!

pogobob

I'm actually glad to hear this Bob... having been to "Bob Mountain" before it was named that just after the 2007 event and noting it was relatively unscathed, I am pretty sure you live in a premium spot, just the rest of us don't.... well SOME of us.. I can only imagine how cold Braden got.

Bill, I'm finding out my place is not safe from this cold outbreak. This is a huge mass of arctic air that is affecting all locations in California with below freezing temps. Those who post that they are not experiencing freezing temps are in denial. My nieghbor at my former house in San Clemente had frost, and that is extremely rare.

WestCoastGal
We're a bit south of Jim and I was shocked to see it raining last night, knowing it was suppose to drop down into the high 20s overnight. Had watered my palms during lunch yesterday since it was suppose to be so low. We've been having frost in the a.m. for a while now and looks like it will continue into this coming week and supposedly drop a few more degrees. I keep wishing we had a weather monitoring system to keep track of the temps in our yard. Right now only have info from a nearby home's weather station on Weather Underground for an idea. This spring we'll be putting in the rest of our landscaping and I'm still wavering on how frost tender I should go with them. The thought of doing frost cloth runs around the house hasn't exactly appealed to us, plus with our latest weather patterns I can't help but think we could be headed for more colder and hotter weather during the coming year. Good luck with your yard Jim. Do you expect to lose anything or just have some damage?

BS Man about Palms

Was walking around the yard earlier shooting mini movies in case it gets bad tonight.. to remember the good (weedy) times..

BS Man about Palms

I will say without the humidity It does let me see the ocean sunsets very nicely from my deck...

post-27-0-92520800-1358043606_thumb.jpg

George Sparkman

Nice picture Bill !

It looks so nice & warm .........

George Sparkman

38°F @ 7PM in Fallbrook. It will be a long cold night.

Hammer

8pm on the nose. 41f in the open, 48f by the house.

Jastin

43.3 49% 0.0 mph. also put a sensor on the pavement 4' away from house to see the difference and its at 44.8

Jim in Los Altos

Strangely overcast right now and the temperature has risen to 45F at a quarter to nine pm. Two hours ago it was 40F. The overcast will undoubtably clear but, for some reason I'm not feeling worried about tonight.

tropicalb

i'll join the party...haven't put the station outside yet tonite, but the sensor inside the barely heated greenhouse is reading 48°F right now at 8:48pm....don't think it's going to get below 30 tonight at my place, and if it does, hopefully it will not be below freezing for more than a few hours...

George Sparkman
i'll join the party...haven't put the station outside yet tonite, but the sensor inside the barely heated greenhouse is reading 48°F right now at 8:48pm....don't think it's going to get below 30 tonight at my place, and if it does, hopefully it will not be below freezing for more than a few hours...

I wish I could say that Burt.

It is already 34°F @ 8:54PM here.

Vari805

45 F with 5.4 mph NE wind. I am surprised at all the different reading across SoCal. Usually Santa Barbara is much colder than the San Diego area with these cold snaps. Lets hope this isn't as bad as they say :sick:

tropicalb
I wish I could say that Burt.

It is already 34°F @ 8:54PM here.

ouch george...

don't feel like the lone ranger though....i can guarantee it will get into the teens tonite inside my dad's greenhouse...there go the orchids and about 150 one foot tall african tulip trees he germinated last spring.

hoping my thouarsii at the top of the property come through the next three days alive...not so worried about the encephalartos though.... vryheid are tough customers.

palmz

35f at 9:00 pm here at my house . Looks like this could be pretty bad for a few of my palms, im not really worried about my cycads but i could be wrong if it drops to low .

Jastin
45 F with 5.4 mph NE wind. I am surprised at all the different reading across SoCal. Usually Santa Barbara is much colder than the San Diego area with these cold snaps. Lets hope this isn't as bad as they say :sick:

Gotta love the Santa Barabra bowl! Are you on APS?

BS Man about Palms

Just checked and 39F at front mailbox at 9:30 pm.. but fairly breezy out too

tropicalb

outside it is 43°F at 9:41 pm.....wind at 5 mph....so far so good....i'd feel a lot better if it was 43°F at 3am, but that ain't gonna happen tonite.

in san marcos,

Edited by tropicalb

enigma99

9:48PM

Temperature 32.0°F Humidity 76% Dewpoint 25.3°F

Let the fun begin............ @_@

Vari805

Jastin, Im out by the North Turnpike area with Goleta valley to the west, and SB to the east. I think they call it Noleta

Stevetoad

It's getting real now. 34.5@ 10pm.

Vari805

Wunderground is quite accurate and they have multiple stations in each city. There is a station about a 1/4 mile away from me and I can see how accurate my LaCrosse Tech weather station is in my yard.

tropicalb

what a difference a couple of miles and a little higher elevation makes....twin oaks valley is getting hammered already...san marcos 10:30pm :

Edited by tropicalb

Hammer

11pm. 37°f in the open.

Hilo Jason

35 here at my place at 11pm. About to go out and kick on the heaters for the rest of the night. Hope it doesn't drop too much more.

Stevetoad

Just hit 32f. Guess I won't have to worry if I planted my palms to close to each other anymore.

MattyB

Dang. I hope a breeze kicks up for you steve. For all of us.

So far at 11 I'm 38 f