IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

A friend of mine just texted me a photo of his frozen over birdbath in San Clemente, he had a low of 28f! Another friend in Newport Beach had 32f. Could this be the end of the world famous cali coco?

2007 was colder, so it should be fine. I will check on it.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I really feel for you guys in SoCal. We've been tested here in SE Texas the last 2-3 years so I know what it's like to wonder if this is a 'new normal'. I hope all the preps save your gardens over there.

Hey guys - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I'd like to chime-in on the thermometer readings. It can be a little tricky or you will not get accurate readings.

Ideally, your thermometer should be in a wooden housing with good air circulation, exactly 2 meters (6ft) above the ground, and far away from any buildings, pavement, asphalt, etc. It should be protected from the sun so that it won't read high during the day, and it can't be left out on the open (uncovered) during the night, because the thermometer will lose heat faster than the air itself and read low. Also, any type of concrete or asphalt will retain heat longer. That's why if you're close the house, the street, or a pool, it will read higher.

So, for example, if you place your thermometer 'on the concrete at ground level' you have at least two factors there working against you.

Anyway, here are some more tips if you are interested:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5571432_proper-location-outdoor-thermometer.html

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/cpm/temperature.php?wfo=sgx

And if you want to get really crazy, here is an old 'official guide' from the NWS:

http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2b.pdf

Part a on the instruments: http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2a.pdf

Edited by jasons

thanks for the links jason...i'm just looking for a general idea of temps, as outlined here in the link you provided:

If Conditions Are Not Ideal

Your living situation may not allow for an ideal sensor placement, as defined by the NWS. If this is the case, you can still obtain results from your thermometer, bearing in mind you are measuring only the air temperature near your building, and not the true air temperature in your wider area

most of my plants are located within 30 feet of my gauge.

Edited by tropicalb

This morning's low of 33F was my coldest this season. Tender plants like my heliconia are still completely green. That may not be the case after tomorrow's low temp. We'll see.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This morning's low of 33F was my coldest this season. Tender plants like my heliconia are still completely green. That may not be the case after tomorrow's low temp. We'll see.

I had 33f for a low today, though a week or so ago I had the winters low of 30f . All of my tropical, except banana leaves still look good.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

City Farmers in City Heights had a low of 28 f last night.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey guys - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I'd like to chime-in on the thermometer readings. It can be a little tricky or you will not get accurate readings.

Ideally, your thermometer should be in a wooden housing with good air circulation, exactly 2 meters (6ft) above the ground, and far away from any buildings, pavement, asphalt, etc. It should be protected from the sun so that it won't read high during the day, and it can't be left out on the open (uncovered) during the night, because the thermometer will lose heat faster than the air itself and read low. Also, any type of concrete or asphalt will retain heat longer. That's why if you're close the house, the street, or a pool, it will read higher.

So, for example, if you place your thermometer 'on the concrete at ground level' you have at least two factors there working against you.

Anyway, here are some more tips if you are interested:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5571432_proper-location-outdoor-thermometer.html

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/cpm/temperature.php?wfo=sgx

And if you want to get really crazy, here is an old 'official guide' from the NWS:

http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2b.pdf

Part a on the instruments: http://www.novalynx.com/manuals/nfes-2140-part2a.pdf

Good stuff to know Jason, thanks.

My low was 32.7.

It's crazy, NOAA's calling for lows in the low 20's, others say different. Too many conflicting meteorological reports.

Low of 25 @ 7am... Coldest it has been since 2007 for me. I'm thinking we could match or beat 2007 tonight...

and the hi - lo thermometer that hangs in the center of the greenhouse at my dad's (and this one IS six feet off the ground) read.....

drumroll..............

20°F for the low last nite.

lovely.

A friend of mine just texted me a photo of his frozen over birdbath in San Clemente, he had a low of 28f! Another friend in Newport Beach had 32f. Could this be the end of the world famous cali coco?

I'm actually glad to hear this Bob... having been to "Bob Mountain" before it was named that just after the 2007 event and noting it was relatively unscathed, I am pretty sure you live in a premium spot, just the rest of us don't.... well SOME of us.. I can only imagine how cold Braden got.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

and the hi - lo thermometer that hangs in the center of the greenhouse at my dad's (and this one IS six feet off the ground) read.....

drumroll..............

20°F for the low last nite.

lovely.

Having been there... NO surprise at all Its LOWLANDO squared there! amazing his place looks so good if we have "any' cold winters..

And I think I decided that my gauges were not correctly placed in the past and thus I was a good bit warmer than the Oceanside temp location.

At this point, I think my most accurate thing will be both my "in a pot" barely taken care of banana... and the sensor IN my green house. Lowest I have seen there (sometimes not till 7:30 am, but no sun yet) has been 35.9F

oh yeah, the banana looks fine :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Jim,

Im curious to see where you end up tonight and tomorrow. Our dew point right now here in the valley is 22F! Yikes!!!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I'm actually glad to hear this Bob... having been to "Bob Mountain" before it was named that just after the 2007 event and noting it was relatively unscathed, I am pretty sure you live in a premium spot, just the rest of us don't.... well SOME of us.. I can only imagine how cold Braden got.

Bill, I'm finding out my place is not safe from this cold outbreak. This is a huge mass of arctic air that is affecting all locations in California with below freezing temps. Those who post that they are not experiencing freezing temps are in denial. My nieghbor at my former house in San Clemente had frost, and that is extremely rare.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

We're a bit south of Jim and I was shocked to see it raining last night, knowing it was suppose to drop down into the high 20s overnight. Had watered my palms during lunch yesterday since it was suppose to be so low. We've been having frost in the a.m. for a while now and looks like it will continue into this coming week and supposedly drop a few more degrees. I keep wishing we had a weather monitoring system to keep track of the temps in our yard. Right now only have info from a nearby home's weather station on Weather Underground for an idea. This spring we'll be putting in the rest of our landscaping and I'm still wavering on how frost tender I should go with them. The thought of doing frost cloth runs around the house hasn't exactly appealed to us, plus with our latest weather patterns I can't help but think we could be headed for more colder and hotter weather during the coming year. Good luck with your yard Jim. Do you expect to lose anything or just have some damage?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Was walking around the yard earlier shooting mini movies in case it gets bad tonight.. to remember the good (weedy) times..

I will say without the humidity It does let me see the ocean sunsets very nicely from my deck...

post-27-0-92520800-1358043606_thumb.jpg

43.3 49% 0.0 mph. also put a sensor on the pavement 4' away from house to see the difference and its at 44.8

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Strangely overcast right now and the temperature has risen to 45F at a quarter to nine pm. Two hours ago it was 40F. The overcast will undoubtably clear but, for some reason I'm not feeling worried about tonight.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

i'll join the party...haven't put the station outside yet tonite, but the sensor inside the barely heated greenhouse is reading 48°F right now at 8:48pm....don't think it's going to get below 30 tonight at my place, and if it does, hopefully it will not be below freezing for more than a few hours...

i'll join the party...haven't put the station outside yet tonite, but the sensor inside the barely heated greenhouse is reading 48°F right now at 8:48pm....don't think it's going to get below 30 tonight at my place, and if it does, hopefully it will not be below freezing for more than a few hours...

I wish I could say that Burt.

It is already 34°F @ 8:54PM here.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

45 F with 5.4 mph NE wind. I am surprised at all the different reading across SoCal. Usually Santa Barbara is much colder than the San Diego area with these cold snaps. Lets hope this isn't as bad as they say :sick:

I wish I could say that Burt.

It is already 34°F @ 8:54PM here.

ouch george...

don't feel like the lone ranger though....i can guarantee it will get into the teens tonite inside my dad's greenhouse...there go the orchids and about 150 one foot tall african tulip trees he germinated last spring.

hoping my thouarsii at the top of the property come through the next three days alive...not so worried about the encephalartos though.... vryheid are tough customers.

35f at 9:00 pm here at my house . Looks like this could be pretty bad for a few of my palms, im not really worried about my cycads but i could be wrong if it drops to low .

45 F with 5.4 mph NE wind. I am surprised at all the different reading across SoCal. Usually Santa Barbara is much colder than the San Diego area with these cold snaps. Lets hope this isn't as bad as they say :sick:

Gotta love the Santa Barabra bowl! Are you on APS?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Just checked and 39F at front mailbox at 9:30 pm.. but fairly breezy out too

outside it is 43°F at 9:41 pm.....wind at 5 mph....so far so good....i'd feel a lot better if it was 43°F at 3am, but that ain't gonna happen tonite.

in san marcos,

Edited by tropicalb

Jastin, Im out by the North Turnpike area with Goleta valley to the west, and SB to the east. I think they call it Noleta

It's getting real now. 34.5@ 10pm.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Wunderground is quite accurate and they have multiple stations in each city. There is a station about a 1/4 mile away from me and I can see how accurate my LaCrosse Tech weather station is in my yard.

what a difference a couple of miles and a little higher elevation makes....twin oaks valley is getting hammered already...san marcos 10:30pm :

Edited by tropicalb

35 here at my place at 11pm. About to go out and kick on the heaters for the rest of the night. Hope it doesn't drop too much more.

Just hit 32f. Guess I won't have to worry if I planted my palms to close to each other anymore.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Dang. I hope a breeze kicks up for you steve. For all of us.

So far at 11 I'm 38 f

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)