IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

I just thought I should have this dam title here and ready for tomorrow....

As I sit here listening to the wind howling, (with up to 40mph predicted today) and forecasts of 29 on Friday night and 26 and 27 on sun and Monday night.. :badday:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I spent 1.5 hours last night putting up plastic ( from the roof to the ground ) to protect my palms and the wind blew it all down today!!! And yes, it's gonna happen so be prepared. My forecast says 36,32,32,31,31,34 and its always + - 2 degrees for me. The coldest I've recorded in 4 years since I kept track of the weather

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

im going to be screaming at the sky like lieutenant dan in forest gump. "IS THIS ALL YOU GOT!!"

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I hope your right Burt but this is starting to feel like 2007 all over again. If it falls between your predictions and the source I'm using I should be ok. If it doesn't I will be filling that green waste can the next couple weeks.

San Marcos CA

lowest NOAA temp forecast for the next 7 nites here in san marcos is 35F....not a problem.

So it is written...so it shall be done! As long as the wind blows we be cool.

Hell, if this was an apple growers forum we'd all be happy lil' campers.

Watch out SoCal, its already happening up here starting today (Thursday) and to last the next four days. Only going to be in the mid 30's for highs here and lows in the mid 20's. Putting some blankets on this late afternoon. I've already had one night of 25F this month so as long as it doesn't get any colder I should be ok way up here in WA. Good luck to you guys with more tender stuff!

lowest NOAA temp forecast for the next 7 nites here in san marcos is 35F....not a problem.

Just checked NOAA for my zip code in Oceanside, says the lowest being 36. The predictions off of my "The Weather Channel" app has always been within 2 degrees of what my house shows and they are predicting a low of 31 for me and a low of 27 for San Marcos. I'll be over it when the week is over and my plants aren't dead or crappy looking.

sustained lows in the 30's is definitely going to make for some crappy looking plants in any event....and you may not even see the real damage for a month or more...we've all been through this so many times already during the past few years...it is the new normal for southern california unfortunately.

sustained lows in the 30's is definitely going to make for some crappy looking plants in any event....and you may not even see the real damage for a month or more...we've all been through this so many times already during the past few years...it is the new normal for southern california unfortunately.

Isn't it? Man, I don't remember it being this cold. I started growing after 2007 and haven't seen frost at my place yet :crying:

I started growing after 2007 and haven't seen frost at my place yet :crying:

i see frost on the ground all the time at my dad's in vista...decided after the hammering we took in 2007 not to grow super cold sensitive stuff there anymore, being that his property sits at the end of a cold drain...definitely going to be some crappy looking plants there after this weekend.

I started growing after 2007 and haven't seen frost at my place yet :crying:

i see frost on the ground all the time at my dad's in vista...decided after the hammering we took in 2007 not to grow super cold sensitive stuff there anymore, being that his property sits at the end of a cold drain...definitely going to be some crappy looking plants there after this weekend.

i have a feeling ill be in the same boat after this snowball rolls over my house. most of my stuff should be able to handle 25 with some damage. but anything that dies i probably will replace with more hardy palms

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My phone (AccuWeather.com) is forecasting for Laguna Hills...

Friday - 56, 35

Saturday - 55, 38

Sunday - 51, 34

Monday - 55, 34

Tuesday - 61, 37

Wednesday - 70, 48

I just thought I should have this dam title here and ready for tomorrow....

As I sit here listening to the wind howling, (with up to 40mph predicted today) and forecasts of 29 on Friday night and 26 and 27 on sun and Monday night.. :badday:

welcome to Beaumont Weather BS!!!

FROZEN FINS!!!!

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Could y'all send it back to Alaska instead of over here? The weather prognosticators want to share with us in a week or so. I say, no thanks.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Nasty jet stream. Shipped in directly over land from the arctic ocean. Outside Sacramento, my NOAA forecast is 30,29,31,29,32,30,33 starting tonight. I don't recall a cold stretch like this in a long time.

xX1EQ.gif

Edited by enigma99

I'm showing 36 tonight then 28,30,28,30,34. I'm buying a hummer!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I was trying to think of any positive notes from this... The only one I could think of is that some of us that went thru the 2007 could test our knowledge regarding this stuff since then.

Part 2 of that is how many of us (Burt B) ) reached the "I just don't care point" also... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Accuweather is showing a low in Fallbrook of 27. Weather .com is showing 30. Neither is good and the 5 days in a row like that has me concerned. My house and garage are full of pots. My little greenhouse has a heater ready to go and my church said I could borrow their propane patio heaters so I m picking them up tomorrow to place throughout the yard with fans near them to circulate the heat. Here we go! (PS. It's currently 45 and windy at my house)

Think I'm safe tonight. 49.6 at 9:20pm still windy.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I went to two places to find frost cloth. Both were out. At one place some old lady bought 125 ft by 12 feet before I got there :( 15 gallon pots over small seedlings, frost cloth over tender tropicals. Lets so this.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Accuweather is showing a low in Fallbrook of 27. Weather .com is showing 30. Neither is good and the 5 days in a row like that has me concerned. My house and garage are full of pots. My little greenhouse has a heater ready to go and my church said I could borrow their propane patio heaters so I m picking them up tomorrow to place throughout the yard with fans near them to circulate the heat. Here we go! (PS. It's currently 45 and windy at my house)

+1 with patio heaters. I have 3 of them (89.99 from home depot on sale) and they work so well, no need for freeze cloth, greenhouses etc. Sure it costs $18 in fuel per night to use them, but they are only rarely needed.

Tonight I think I'm ok... but in reality I almost stated a little weeding a week or two ago.. then I thought it might offer some decent cold protection..

11pm, 45°f. Lots of wind. Interestingly, the AccuWeather forecast lows seem to be getting revised up a couple degrees over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Guys! I'm really getting bummed for Steve. We need to lift his spirits. I know!!!! Something like Live Aid or Farm Aid. A benefit concert. Anyone know Bono or Bob Geldof???

Edited by Gonzer

Think I'm safe tonight. 49.6 at 9:20pm still windy.

What a stupid thing to post. Ended up hitting 30.6f at 5:45am. Frost on the ground. Frown on my face.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Guys! I'm really getting bummed for Steve. We need to lift his spirits. I know!!!! Something like Live Aid or Farm Aid. A benefit concert. Anyone know Bono or Bob Geldof???

It's cool. I'm getting really good at making snow angles and snowmen.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I went to two places to find frost cloth. Both were out. At one place some old lady bought 125 ft by 12 feet before I got there :( 15 gallon pots over small seedlings, frost cloth over tender tropicals. Lets so this.

Len, have you checked out Goodwill? i've bought cotton flannel sheets from there to cover my small tropicals. Hopefully, thrift stores haven't had their warm linens bought out. I've also used towels, t-shirts, sweats and hoodies too. Good luck, all.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Put back the christmas lights too! It will get you a few degrees of protection and will look nice!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

29°F @ 5:30AM in Fallbrook,no wind

31°F @ 6:30AM in Fallbrook,a little air movement

This is one of those nights I wished I lived in town somewhere.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

39 F @ 6:30am with a slight breeze. No frost down the hill below me, but I will be watching closely for the next 3 nights......

Hang in there Steve!

Bottom out at 27F last night and colder tonight with freezing fog might keep me that same temp tonight.

Here something interesting... the sheet I have over one plant is really cold to the touch and the frost fleece I use on another plant right next to it is warm to the touch.

Only going to be in the upper 30's today; by monday will be normal temps again with lots of sunshine for all next week.

34' @ 7:00 am this morning in Carlsbad . I'm not going to protect any of my palms . Only the strong will survive :-(

7:45am 34°f (which was also the low) out in the open. 20 feet closer to the house it is 40°f. Either got a faulty sensor or the stucco really does hold heat.

It feels COLD no matter what the thermometer says. Just visually inspected the entire property. Dodged a bullet, no frost on anything. However, the hill (city property) behind me that slopes into my yard not down/away from my yard had frost all over it. Lots of damage to the low lying vines on that hill.

Wonder why the hill got hit but not me? All the concrete and the pool maybe? Whatever the reason, I'll take it....for today anyway.