IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Labelling

Bilbo

I reccomend everyone doin it the pro way!

What if you and your palms (do go back to retrieve dog and wife) move away?

What will your new neighbours think at seeing all those strange plants?!

They will think you are quite mad (yes of course) and wont take you serious if you invite them round for coffee and all they see are some handwritten amateurish labels next to your prized palms.

Similar situation if new guys move in next door.

Answer: get Pro Labels just as used in all the Botanic Gardens, Parks and Serious Palm gardens around the world.

They are available in Europe (0ne of our members with a brilliant garden in Spain has his own personal Pro system) and here in the UK where they supply RBG Kew, the Royal Parks and Myself.

The material are two layers top exterior grade black laminate enclosing a white middle layer.

Hence when engraved the white lettering shows thro clearly.

Human psychology is a strange thing and if you labelled a weed collection with such labels everyone except a real botanist would be impressed!

For UK guys check out Sheen Botanical Labels Ltd

www.sheenbotanicallabels.co.uk

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Should have added: of course have whatever you like engraved but I believe in the experienced salesmens adage KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid); the message being aimed at the salesman himself and not the prospect.

So I just give Genera and Species. Common Name and Origin.

Three lines thats all.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

That's a must do. Anyone know where to get them here in Florida? Kinkos?

To mine I add date of birth, if known. But my labels are still temporary and degrade with weather.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Frank: this type last for years.

Not cheap I know they are quality;

Im sure someone must do these in the States???

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Dear Bilbo  :)

nice topic & even i feel this in the same way.

yes all who visit our gardens must know what

species we have stacked in front of them.and from

which region or country they are native to.

my plams are quite small,but will do what you have

mentioned using what is avaliable here in india(Madras).

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

As a signage contractor I deal with wholesale manufacturers of all different types of signs from giant Cast Bronze Dedication Plaques to tiny engraved plastic laminate signs like these i.d. lables.  Any local engraving shop has the capabilities to engrave this standard exterior grade 2 ply engraving stock (usually Rowmark brand).  Often you'll see booths set up at Swap Meets or County Fairs with these guys engraving license plates and stuff.  Get them to do it.  If you can't find someone locally I know Gary Wood does these here in SoCal and shipping is probably only like 10 bucks.

Plant Signs

If he won't ship, or you can't find anyone, I'll do the sign faces for you but you'll have to handle the mounting to stakes or whatever.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)