IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

first sub 40's of the year

Gonzer

42F for a low in Spring Valley this morning. I saw frost on all the rooftops driving through El Cajon this morning at about 8:30am.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yep... a lot of frost this year... so far not on my plants... knock on my wood head...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Low of 29 again in Brentwood...no frost in my yard but some around the area.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

i saw 30.5 once again with frost. this is shaping up to be my worst year yet. last year i only had ice on my windshield a couple times. this year it seems i've had to hose off my windshield off almost every morning! so far i have way less damage than last year though. but i think my plants are starting to get used to the cold.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

35.6 for the low this winter for me, no frost on ground but a few day of roof top frost. No damage but it has been a frosty, crappy season so far. I hope it doesn't get worse. I thought it was gonna be a El Niño year ( warmer )???

37.6 this morning at 3:32am

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

4:45am is 39f in the yard. Car said 37f at the hilltop out in the open and 34f in the 5 freeway valley at the Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo train station.

29.5f this morning at 6:15am. very dry. no frost at all. my unprotected papaya is still looking perfect! i dont know how. bananas are thrashed. archontophoenix maxima shows damamge now on the older leaves. unprotected roystonia princeps has very very minor damage while my protected borinquena and regia show a bit more damage. (quaman i think your right) eveything else still looks good.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

43 f today. The colder it gets the faster the air rushes down the hill, keeping the temps up.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I need to get me a hill....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

39.6 in the open. I have slopes on all sides Bill. Wait....aren't you over the hill Bill?

I live in a hole. All the cold air rushes down the hills and settle on top of my house.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Jastin, Not yet dammit! :rant:

Just standing here on a gopher/mole hill... gonna make it a mountain!

Steve... you are a fellow citizen of Lowlando with PaulGila?

I think I get colder than Paul bill. Paul has that total canopy going on that keeps his palms warm and safe. All mine are totally exposed. One day ill have a canopy one day. As of now its 38f at 9:32pm. No good

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

28f at 7am. No frost

**update. Went out side. Plenty of frost :( **

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

35 this moring. Looks like some leak tip damage may be developing on the more exposed Burretiokentias....probably from the sub-30s earlier this week. We shall see how the next 4 weeks goes....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I think I get colder than Paul bill. Paul has that total canopy going on that keeps his palms warm and safe. All mine are totally exposed. One day ill have a canopy one day. As of now its 38f at 9:32pm. No good

Bill has a weed canopy - sort of ... :rolleyes:

Definitely not over the hill :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Wow. George and I have been about the same temps until now when his wind died down. It was downright breezy all night for us, thus 43 f for a low this morning.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

So far so good here at my new place. Been in the low to high 40s every morning. Not seeing any cold damage to my transplant stressed and heatwave fried palms. Been here for 6mo now.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

HAving stopped by Palm Mountain several times after the Jan 2007 freeze and seeing little if any damage Bob, doesn't surprise me you are unscathed :D

Also, noticed my banana tree in a 15 gal pot seems ok... so most stuff is fine... i think having seedlings delivered from Hawaii just prior to this cold is not a good thing though... too dry inside, and too cold outside ... :(

37.7 this morning. I don't care how cold it gets, as long as my palms look good. It's 48 right now

So far so good here at my new place. Been in the low to high 40s every morning. Not seeing any cold damage to my transplant stressed and heatwave fried palms. Been here for 6mo now.

When are we going to see some pics of the new place?

46 this morn. Pluots, plums, pears, getting some good chill hours. Hopefully well get some good crops next year.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

42 for me.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

46 yesterday morning. Forecasted for 38 this morning but I was 42. I hope it goes that way later in the week. Forecast says 34 on Friday.

Matt, Interesting what you say about the breeze making it warmer, pushing the cold down the hill. I have hills on all sides in my favor but not really any wind in the morning. So your saying even if you get an onshore breeze ( from west to east, blowin up your hill ) you will still be warmer?

Heat wave last night. Low of 41.

i hear ya! i hit 42f... thought i was in hawaii for a moment

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean