IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

photo size allowed reduced?

MattyB

When I tried to upload a pic it said "photo size too large" and next to the uploader it says "max size one file 2MB". Is this new? I've never had any problems uploading these same size pics before.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey Matt,

Apache by default only allows 2 MB uploads. So that is what this new server accepts. I customized the old server to accept bigger files, when we didn't have a concern for file size. We have a lot of extra disk space now, but 2 MB should be way more than enough to display quality photos. And they take so much longer to load than 300-500 Kb. So I contemplated keeping it at that size. Having said that, I still have some other options available for photo display, but I'm waiting until we upgrade to the latest version soon.

But I'm willing to listen why we need larger photos.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

One thing I have noticed recently is that any photo I upload that has a landscape orientation, ie longest edge is the horizontal, is resized down to 1200 pixels. Before uploading I resize my photos to 1600 on the longest edge and keep the file size down to a few hundred KB, occasionally I go to over a MB. Photos with a portrait orientation retain the original size, but the landscape ones are reduced.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

With it down to 2mb, I can't post/upload "mini-mini movies" anymore... but maybe thats a good thing. :hmm:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

One thing I have noticed recently is that any photo I upload that has a landscape orientation, ie longest edge is the horizontal, is resized down to 1200 pixels. Before uploading I resize my photos to 1600 on the longest edge and keep the file size down to a few hundred KB, occasionally I go to over a MB. Photos with a portrait orientation retain the original size, but the landscape ones are reduced.

Daryl

Thanks for the info Daryl - most likely a setting that got dropped during the migration to the new server. We are anticipating initiating an upgrade to the forum software very soon, so any changes would most likely change again. After the upgrade I will do a review of all the photo settings again - maybe even before if I get a chance.

With it down to 2mb, I can't post/upload "mini-mini movies" anymore... but maybe thats a good thing. :hmm:

Good point Bill. But I'm on the fence with this one. But no final decision has been made yet.

Video not only takes a lot of storage space, it also uses a lot of bandwidth and server resources. Most everyone, including myself use third party hosting like PhotoBucket or Vimeo. And there are others. They integrate effortlessly with a post. Just upload to the service, copy the url, and paste it in the post. Once you figure it out it is a snap.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thanks! I got a new camera and the pics are usually around 2-3 MB, so this is helpful so I don't have to resize before posting. For me, it makes posting faster and easier, which encourages me to post more.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Cool, thanks! I got a new camera and the pics are usually around 2-3 MB, so this is helpful so I don't have to resize before posting. For me, it makes posting faster and easier, which encourages me to post more.

Thats encouraging Matt

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Good point Bill. But I'm on the fence with this one. But no final decision has been made yet.

Video not only takes a lot of storage space, it also uses a lot of bandwidth and server resources. Most everyone, including myself use third party hosting like PhotoBucket or Vimeo. And there are others. They integrate effortlessly with a post. Just upload to the service, copy the url, and paste it in the post. Once you figure it out it is a snap.

I use photobucket and it is great to display the full picture !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I use photobucket and it is great to display the full picture !

Troy - two points I would like to remind people of - and why we encourage uploading instead of hosting elsewhere (like PhotoBucket)

1) When using services like Photoshop, if you delete your photos, or move them to different albums (on some services), or if you change to another service altogether and delete your account - then all the posts in which you have posted photos are left without photos and are essentially useless. Many older posts here are now missing photos due to this issue.

2) For those with internet services in which their bandwidth is monitored (or with quotas), the "Photobucket" type posting requires the entire large photo be downloaded for viewing instead of just the thumbnail. So this is not only slower for those on mobile, dial up, or slower access - it also uses up more of their quota, and can put them into a tier where they have to pay more. This will become increasingly more of an issue with the proliferation of people using mobile devices where data is charged for more stringently.

Yeah. what Dean said.:)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 months later...

Daryl

Thanks for the info Daryl - most likely a setting that got dropped during the migration to the new server. We are anticipating initiating an upgrade to the forum software very soon, so any changes would most likely change again. After the upgrade I will do a review of all the photo settings again - maybe even before if I get a chance.

Any chance this could be looked into? Photos are still getting resized down to 1200px on the long edge if they are landscape...Portrait are fine...weird!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!