IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

transplant - am I wasting my time with these palms

hopper

Found two palms on the footpath yesterday, look to be kentia palms. After speaking with the owner he informed me he was extending his house so they had to go, and I was welcome to have them.

My problem is the size of the root ball and or the amount of roots that are missing on one palm in particular.

Will these palms survive after transplanting with this much damage?

Palms are about 3 to 4m tall.

I will see if I can add some pictures later.

Thanks

Hello Hopper, and welcome! I can say from personal experience, that Kentia palms are probably the easiest palm to transplant due to it's tolerance to root trauma. If any palm can survive a rough transplant, a Kentia can. Good luck, it's totally worth a shot for these guys. I'd love to see some pics. They sound nice and large.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

If you can pot them and keep them in a very humid and shady place till they produce 1-2 leafs,they should survive the transplant fine. I wouldnt expose them to any sun or dry place in the meantime though as you need them to conserve their moisture till enough new roots are grown to start supporting their water needs some. They are very drought tolerant in my experience but they will be set back a lot if you bring them towards their limits so the more humid the area you keep them in the meantime,the better! The rains help them a lot too with sailing through transplanting.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Found two palms on the footpath yesterday, look to be kentia palms. After speaking with the owner he informed me he was extending his house so they had to go, and I was welcome to have them.

My problem is the size of the root ball and or the amount of roots that are missing on one palm in particular.

Will these palms survive after transplanting with this much damage?

Palms are about 3 to 4m tall.

I will see if I can add some pictures later.

Thanks

After seeing Matty's comments, I say go for it Martin! :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

I will give it a go, as I’m a novice at this stuff but love the look of these palms.

They were just too nice to leave them on the footpath, plus they where free so I don’t have a lot to lose.

I purchased some potting mix to mix into the existing ground soil for the transplant (Not going for the pot option).

We have 3 large gum trees that provide a lot of shelter in our back yard so they should be fine under these trees.

I have them sitting in a kids play pool that I have half filled with water, just give the plants something to re hydrate with. I can't transplant them until the weekend, so hoping they will be ok till then. (Tuesday today)

The final location of the palms will be under the canopy of these gums, (Palms will now be exposed to a short spell of afternoon sun, and filtered morning sun) the palms were fully exposed to the sun in their original position so assuming they will be ok with the change.

Pics show the 2 palms that have been dug out without consideration for transplant, the 3rd palm is still in the ground (Pictured), and I’m assuming the owner will remove with a bit more care!

Will the palm be ok with all of the leaves removed? The central spears have been left thou.

Thanks again

P.S. I'm assuming they are Kentia palms?

post-7388-0-28203800-1355188000_thumb.jp

post-7388-0-12002400-1355188017_thumb.jp

post-7388-0-93712500-1355188019_thumb.jp

post-7388-0-90818400-1355188022_thumb.jp

post-7388-0-82680800-1355188025_thumb.jp

post-7388-0-90614300-1355188028_thumb.jp

Hopper, these pics need to start a thread called " How to Kill a Kentia palm.com.. :) I know how "brutal' the summer heat can be in Adelaide, say your good buys to those pair ..

Yes the owner was brutal in his removal.

I really wansn't expecting them to live. but for a freebie i'll give it a go. and yes the summer will take it's toll on them.

I'm hoping the third palm will have a bit more of a root ball attached this time.

Stake them up and water them daily. I think they'll live. They're almost invincible. it'll probably take about 3 years

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I will give it a go.

I should edit the post with the pictures to say -

"Warning - images in this post may distress some viewers"

Martin:

Do as Matty suggests, and keep them in the shade and out of the wind to start. If you water them daily, you shouldn't have to hack off all the leaves.

May be a while for them to recover, but they're tough, and you have nothing to lose.

Let us know what happens, good, bad, etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If the third palm hasn't been dug yet I would offer the owner that you'll be happy to do it for him. Yikes!!! I would echo other comments here. Shade, water and protection from wind.

The only advice I can contribute, is to add fine soil around the roots & water it in very slowly. Maybe a couple of inches at a time. You don't want to get air pockets between those roots.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

If the third palm hasn't been dug yet I would offer the owner that you'll be happy to do it for him. Yikes!!! I would echo other comments here. Shade, water and protection from wind.

You think the third party dug? Looks like they were yoked out ... <_<

I think they can be saved. It will be an undertaking. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

You think the third party dug? Looks like they were yoked out ... <_<

I think they can be saved. It will be an undertaking. :greenthumb:

Good point Moose. Should have said "dug".

i think we need to start a palmtalk gambling pool on if palms will live or not.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Welcome to Palmtalk Martin !

As a new member, I can tell you that Palmtalk forum is a wonderful break in my busy days and a way of sharing experience and lovely pictures: I am now jealous of those who post beautiful Clinostigma and Carpoxylon pictures ( Hawaï collections seems to be the top! but I saw that some of my posts about Sri Lanka are able to interest Hawains, so there is a balance).

Your transplant experience reminds me the first time I went to the jungle and took some big Areca, or Ptychosperma which grows in the wild in Sri Lanka! Heavy to carry but not always successful !

Now, sometimes we have to uproot spontaneous Caryota or Areca concinna which came by themselves in the feet of what we planted, very sorry!

I am french, please excuse me for my basic english.

Best wishes for your palms!

Regards

Philippe

post-6735-0-15287300-1355252399_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hoppper, try to get a rootball about 75 cm wide and 50 cm deep for the third palm. As to the first two, I believe they are a waste of your time. It they do survive, it will be years before they are attractive and it is likely that they will suffer a pronounced decrease in the trunk diameter. This 'neck' will be vulnerable to breaking by wind if they do regrow a normal crown in the future.

Welcom to Palmtalk. Howea is one of my very favorite genera, and I encourage you to plant several ! :)

San Francisco, California

The only advice I can contribute, is to add fine soil around the roots & water it in very slowly. Maybe a couple of inches at a time. You don't want to get air pockets between those roots.

Hmm. The one good thing is there's hardly any roots to get air pockets between . . . . mixed blessing, no doubt.

But, I've found that species to be easy to re-root.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You need to remove alot of the fronds pronto!! The most important frond to remove in this case is the emerging spear. That is the one that takes up the most sugars from the trunk during a transplant. I would leave two fronds per tree because they were butchered so bad. And then follow w/ everyone else's advice. Good luck but please give them a shot!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

You need to remove alot of the fronds pronto!! The most important frond to remove in this case is the emerging spear. That is the one that takes up the most sugars from the trunk during a transplant. I would leave two fronds per tree because they were butchered so bad. And then follow w/ everyone else's advice. Good luck but please give them a shot!

So I should remove the emerging spear from the two palms that have had all the other fronds hacked off as well? So i will be left with just a trunk!

But if and when I get the third palm remove the emerging spear but not all of the fronds?

I had always thought that if I cut the emerging spear off it would die. Looks like they might die anyway, so what's the difference!

Martin

The only advice I can contribute, is to add fine soil around the roots &amp; water it in very slowly. Maybe a couple of inches at a time. You don't want to get air pockets between those roots.

Hmm. The one good thing is there's hardly any roots to get air pockets between . . . . mixed blessing, no doubt.

But, I've found that species to be easy to re-root.

I had noticed that this part of the exercise would be easy, as you mention, there ain't much in the way of a root system left.

This summer I planted two just in time to bake them in 100+f temps. They had substantial rootballs. Although I had to trim one a bit to get it out of the pot. They burned but are now pushing new leaves. I did not trim any of the leaves at planting.

Based on this experience, I think the more roots the more leaves you can keep. So if you can dig a big rootball you should be ok and not need to trim any leaves. But shade and water still apply. In the case of the first two, I will defer to others here.

Hopper

No way the first 2 will make it .

But as Darold said the 3rd one dig at least a 50 cm square rootball and transplant and water well and it will grow back ok !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

So I should remove the emerging spear from the two palms that have had all the other fronds hacked off as well? So i will be left with just a trunk!

But if and when I get the third palm remove the emerging spear but not all of the fronds?

I had always thought that if I cut the emerging spear off it would die. Looks like they might die anyway, so what's the difference!

Martin

You didn't mention that you had removed all of the fronds. When transplanting a palm that has been mistreated, remove the emerging spear and leave a cpl of the newer fronds. That is an old transplanting trick that works like a charm. But in your case, you have allready removed all of the fronds and the emerging spear is all you have left so don't remove it. Give them the attention that others have mentioned and let's hope for the best! I sure wish i could've had the luck of getting those!

You see, the emerging spear takes all of the energy/sugars that is built up in the palm to push up and open. That is the last thing you want w/ a palm that has been through what your palms have been through.

Good luck, i am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Martin

You didn't mention that you had removed all of the fronds. When transplanting a palm that has been mistreated, remove the emerging spear and leave a cpl of the newer fronds. That is an old transplanting trick that works like a charm. But in your case, you have allready removed all of the fronds and the emerging spear is all you have left so don't remove it. Give them the attention that others have mentioned and let's hope for the best! I sure wish i could've had the luck of getting those!

You see, the emerging spear takes all of the energy/sugars that is built up in the palm to push up and open. That is the last thing you want w/ a palm that has been through what your palms have been through.

Good luck, i am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Mark

I have not touched them since Tuesday, so they still have the spear.

I will leave the two palms as is.

The third palm is still in the gound waiting removal, temps here have been around the mid to high 30s° C, so im assuming the owner is waiting for a cooler day to "hack" it out. I will have to see if I can help him do a slightly better job of removal, so it helps improve it's survival.

I transplanted one that was about 5-6 feet over all height. I was able to get a root ball the size of a 7 gallon pot with the soil still intact. It was planted in the ground a couple hours later and grew the same speed as the other others I had planted from pots. I would say give it a try and water it good for a while. Good luck with your transplant.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Honestly think you are wasting your time. If a miracle happens and they live they will then have a high probability of looking disfigured.

Well it's done,

For what it's worth, both palms are in and i will now play the waiting and watering game.

If truth be told I hope they make it. If they dont, and or become to disfigured i will replace with two nursery Kentia's that I will keep in our shade house till such time that they get some height on them and then just place back in the same holes.

Ultimatly looking to grow some palms that will give me a nice cool canopy, as well as screening palm / bamboo / etc...along the fence line. Any suggestions for the Adelaide (South Australian) environment?

Thanks all for your suggestions and comments.

post-7388-0-31677700-1355711217_thumb.jp post-7388-0-90284800-1355711230_thumb.jp

Not yet.

School holidays have started so I haven't been past the property for about 2 days.

I will try to catch the owner and suggest that I help him to remove the palm so it will have larger root ball and a better chance of survival.

If I remember correctly, Adelaide has a fine botanical garden--I think I recall several biologists from there staying in Miami for a few days to visit Fairchild Tropical Garden while they were on their way to Suriname (or was it Guyana?).

I can't help with other palms for Adelaide because our climate's somewhat like coastal Queensland (wet summer, dry winter), which is utterly different from yours.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

If I remember correctly, Adelaide has a fine botanical garden--I think I recall several biologists from there staying in Miami for a few days to visit Fairchild Tropical Garden while they were on their way to Suriname (or was it Guyana?). I can't help with other palms for Adelaide because our climate's somewhat like coastal Queensland (wet summer, dry winter), which is utterly different from yours.
Yes, the botanical gardens and the Adelaide zoo have a range of palms that would suit the Adelaide area. With two small children we try to get to the zoo and gardens as often as we can. I have not revisited the zoo f or some time now. So the next visit I will be taking pics of the kids infront of plants not animals, and taking note of and palms that are labelled with there names.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

This is probably stage two in the demise or death of one of these palms that I rescued from the footpath about 4 weeks ago.
The first stage was the way they where removed!

They have always had a good watering every night after work, about 18l each (two watering cans)
But recently have had a string of 36 - 42 degree days, and hadn't noticed this brown, recessed section on the lower trunk. As it has always been dark when I would go out to water them. See attachment.

So im not sure if it's been cooked from the inside, as it is the western side of the trunk, or rotting?

The two centre spears are still green, but have not open or changed since planting 4 week ago.

The other larger palm is ok but it is slightly more protected from the western sun.

Thanks again

Martin

post-7388-0-67679900-1357870664_thumb.jp

Edited by hopper

bruised and/or rotting internally - not promising

on the brighter side, learning and gaining experience are never a (complete) waste of time

• Upvote 2

I get by with a little help from my fronds

bruised and/or rotting internally - not promisingon the brighter side, learning and gaining experience are never a (complete) waste of time
Thanks palmazon I never imagined it would start to rot, with all this hot weather we have had in the last 2 weeks, maybe I was over watering it? It may have had a nasty knock when it was wrenched from the earth before I grabbed it also. The brown area is just as solid and hard as the other non effected areas on the palm? As you said, I've learnt and gained some experience in all this. I will cut back on the watering for the other palm as well, just to be safe.

What ever happened with that third palm?
Well I left my contact details in the owners letter box, re assistance in removal of the third palm, but no call. Last time I drove past, the palm was still there, so I guess he is keeping it now. I may call in one day to confirm his intentions.