IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Riddled Royal Palm Trunk: Downey Woodpecker Damage

Walt

I have several species of woodpeckers that reside on my property, but only one species has been attacking my royal palm, and that is the small downey woodpecker. They peck holes in the trunk. Bugs and yellow jackets infest the holes, I guess eating the sap. Then the woodpeckers eat the bugs. The trunk condition continues to get worse with time. I'd finally had enough and managed to kill one woodpecker (this was about three months ago) with my BB gun. After that I didn't see anymore woodpeckers until about two weeks ago when another one picked up where the first one left off.

I tried shooting the second woodpecker with my BB gun but missed. I could definitely blow him away with my shotgun, but I don't want to blow away half the palm's trunk in the process! He's wary of me now and takes off when he sees me sneaking up on him to fire a shot. For the past two days I haven't seen the woodpecker on my palm. Hopefully, I've run him out of Dodge, but somehow I doubt it.

The damage just makes me sick to look at. But by hook or crook, this woodpecker is gonna die, as I'm not going to tolerate this kind of injury to my palm.

Rregia12-4-12.jpg

Above photo: Overall view of royal palm.

Rregiaholes.jpg

Above photo: Woodpecker damage to trunk of royal palm.

Rregiasap.jpg

Above photo: Sap oozing from holes caused by woodpecker.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

They peck to get at insects that must be in there that they can eat, I wonder if you can treat for the insects and the birds will leave it alone.

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

That sucks walt! thats a nice looking royal too. wood peckers are teritorial too so as soon as one goes another might move in. I'm pretty sure you have to get a federal permit to kill a woodpecker so you may want to check that out before posting about it. I wonder if one of those fake owls people use to keep pigeons away would scare it off. Regardless I hope you get rid of the pecker...

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

try filling those holes with epoxy resin so it wouldn't be as noticeable

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

That damage appears to be from sapsuckers. I'm guessing the woodpeckers are just picking off the insects attracted to the sap.

You are correct, Tom, the birds are sapsuckers, not downy woodpeckers. While they are about the same size, they are different. I also got a PM from a forum member telling me the same as you did.

Of course, the point is moot and academic with respect to the damage these pesky birds have caused to my royal palm. But at least now I know the difference between the two bird species.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Thanks to all that commented with suggestions -- and sympathy (LOL!)!

I don't relish at all having to dispatch of birds.In fact, my wife and I love wildlife and try to attract them to our property as much as possible. However, I just can't abide having my royal palm destroyed any further. I may use some duct tape and wrap a piece of tarp or something equivalent around the trunk for the time being to keep the sapsucker away from it.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Bird netting works well, isn't that hard to attach with a few zip ties and draped loosely will inhibit feeding visits...not all that obtrusive visually either.....spraying the trunk with a mild mixture of cayenne and garlic might work as well...it is especially important to use deterrents at nesting season, as the adults will bring the young to the host tree after they have fledged.

Best of luck

Rusty

• Upvote 1

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

How about let the woodpecker do its thing? It's just a royal palm! I could understand if this bird was attacking a Copernicia, but I would let the bird work--plant another Roystonea. I am sure you have room for a couple more...

How to control sapsuckers.....

http://www.na.fs.fed.../ht_sap/sap.htm

I have seen this damage to coconuts in the past and had always wondered who made all those holes in such a neat formation.

Thanks for the link. I think the sapsucker at the below link looks very close to what I have here:

http://www.allaboutb...sapsucker_1.jpg

Mad about palms

Bird netting works well, isn't that hard to attach with a few zip ties and draped loosely will inhibit feeding visits...not all that obtrusive visually either.....spraying the trunk with a mild mixture of cayenne and garlic might work as well...it is especially important to use deterrents at nesting season, as the adults will bring the young to the host tree after they have fledged.

Best of luck

Rusty

Rusty: If the problem presists (I don't dispatch of his bird) I may try to rig something simple up using plastic netting to keep the bird off of the trunk.

Thanks.

Mad about palms

How about let the woodpecker do its thing? It's just a royal palm! I could understand if this bird was attacking a Copernicia, but I would let the bird work--plant another Roystonea. I am sure you have room for a couple more...

Andrew, I really mean no offense, but try to remember that you are in the sweet spot of growing zones in the CONUS...what is ho-hum to you is quite an accomplishment to others, who are not geographically that far distant from you, but zonally are so far removed.....

Walt growing a Roystonia is quite special where he is located, and in his perspective it would warrant special care...and not to diminish you at all, but in his zone Walt is a real pioneer....

What can be to you a small sh*t weather event can become a disaster for him.... I look at all the members that grow in marginal zones, and i loose my smug attitude come the Solstice...

Grew stuff in Z7b...been there, done that, didn't forget it....

Just sayin'.....;-)

Rusty

• Upvote 1

Rusty Bell

Hey Walt I have the same thing on a Sabal and I agree when observed closely it is not pleasing.

I enjoy seeing pictures of your garden! please post more pictures soon?

thank you

Andrew, I really mean no offense, but try to remember that you are in the sweet spot of growing zones in the CONUS...what is ho-hum to you is quite an accomplishment to others, who are not geographically that far distant from you, but zonally are so far removed.....

Walt growing a Roystonia is quite special where he is located, and in his perspective it would warrant special care...and not to diminish you at all, but in his zone Walt is a real pioneer....

What can be to you a small sh*t weather event can become a disaster for him.... I look at all the members that grow in marginal zones, and i loose my smug attitude come the Solstice...

Just sayin'.....;-)

Rusty

Well said, Rusty. Royals aren't weeds uphere and deep inland, but are the exception. Further, the royal is my favorite palm, so it has special meaning to me. Still, I don't relish killing a sapsucker that is only doing what nature and instinct influences him to do. It's a delemma for me, but dispatching a pesky, palm destroying (at least aesthetically) is the lesser of the two horns (of a delemma). The last thing I like doing is killing critters. I hand feed racoons, squirrels, and even wild rabbits at times. I put out cracked corn, wild bird seed, etc., each day. I have about 10 bird baths. But I just can't abide having a bird tear up my royal palm like that.

I have about 10-12 Roystonea boriquena in pots that I grew from seed, many that I will be planting out this spring. If I had lots of mature royals I wouldn't mind sacrificing one for the birds. But alas, that isn't the case.

Mad about palms

Hey Walt I have the same thing on a Sabal and I agree when observed closely it is not pleasing.

thank you

I have some queen palms with sapsucker holes in them, but not to the extent my poor royal palm has.

I'm in the process of buying a new digital camera (still studying the specs online). When I get my camera (hopefully before the firse devastating freeze) I plan to photograph most of my garden and will post it.

My climate is very, very marginal for many species of palms, but one zone 10 palm I'm fond of is my Syagrus botryophora I bought three years ago as a one gallon size. This thing is a rocket ship, only planted in the spring of 2011. It was partially defoliated from frost last winter but recovered nicely.

Syagrusbotryophora.jpg

Mad about palms

Just sayin'.....;-)

Rusty

Well said, Rusty. Royals aren't weeds uphere and deep inland, but are the exception. Further, the royal is my favorite palm, so it has special meaning to me. Still, I don't relish killing a sapsucker that is only doing what nature and instinct influences him to do. It's a delemma for me, but dispatching a pesky, palm destroying (at least aesthetically) is the lesser of the two horns (of a delemma). The last thing I like doing is killing critters. I hand feed racoons, squirrels, and even wild rabbits at times. I put out cracked corn, wild bird seed, etc., each day. I have about 10 bird baths. But I just can't abide having a bird tear up my royal palm like that.

I have about 10-12 Roystonea boriquena in pots that I grew from seed, many that I will be planting out this spring. If I had lots of mature royals I wouldn't mind sacrificing one for the birds. But alas, that isn't the case.

Ah Walt, there is an animal called a dilemma and as is often the case you are caught upon it's horns....do as you will, and as you must, without my judgement......

best wishes

Rusty Bell

Walt,

From what I can tell, they are only in your area during the winter. Maybe you can just throw the netting up during the cooler months and take it down during the summer, when those (sap)suckers migrate north to breed. It's a shame to kill them for just doing their thing, but I've been there with voles, and others here have been there with gophers...so we know how you feel.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Walt,

From what I can tell, they are only in your area during the winter. Maybe you can just throw the netting up during the cooler months and take it down during the summer, when those (sap)suckers migrate north to breed. It's a shame to kill them for just doing their thing, but I've been there with voles, and others here have been there with gophers...so we know how you feel.

TJ: I take no pleasure at all killing those birds. The one that I did kill, I felt bad afterward. But when I saw the damage to my beloved royal palm the adrenalin started pumping through my veins and....

If they are migratory, that is good. I think tomorrow I will afix some kind of covering around the trunk to keep the sapsucker away. I haven't seen him in days now, but I know he is around as I can hear him up in my slash pines. They have a distinctive sound.

Mad about palms

While I definitely sympathize with your frustration over the destruction of your property, you should be aware that killing Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, or any woodpecker species in North America, is covered under the Migratory Bird Act, and is technically a federal crime.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.apfo.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=ecrc&topic=waf-ma

It's not a very user friendly site, but if you dig deep enough you'll see that your woodpeckers are listed in it, along with many very common species which no one would think twice about shooting.

While I do not personally condone killing any bird or other wildlife, I'd definitely think twice before posting about it online.

Just a friendly FYI :)

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

Just sayin'.....;-)

Rusty

I can understand that; when I lived in Tallahassee, I used to hate when the squirrels would eat my new bamboo shoots. Walt, if you wanna try some Roystonea altissima, and you find your way down in South Florida, I have one with your name on it. Might be a cool palm to try if you like Royals.

thank you

I have some queen palms with sapsucker holes in them, but not to the extent my poor royal palm has.

I'm in the process of buying a new digital camera (still studying the specs online). When I get my camera (hopefully before the firse devastating freeze) I plan to photograph most of my garden and will post it.

My climate is very, very marginal for many species of palms, but one zone 10 palm I'm fond of is my Syagrus botryophora I bought three years ago as a one gallon size. This thing is a rocket ship, only planted in the spring of 2011. It was partially defoliated from frost last winter but recovered nicely.

Syagrusbotryophora.jpg

That's a sweet palm! I would plant a bunch more, if you have the room and they will survive---looks awesome!

While I definitely sympathize with your frustration over the destruction of your property, you should be aware that killing Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, or any woodpecker species in North America, is covered under the Migratory Bird Act, and is technically a federal crime.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.apfo.usda...rc&topic=waf-ma

It's not a very user friendly site, but if you dig deep enough you'll see that your woodpeckers are listed in it, along with many very common species which no one would think twice about shooting.

While I do not personally condone killing any bird or other wildlife, I'd definitely think twice before posting about it online.

Just a friendly FYI :)

Well, luckily the feds weren't around when I dispatced of the sapsucker.

That being said, I won't be killing anymore sapsuckers. After viewing your link I did some further Googling and indeed found that sapsuckers and woodpeckers are on the protected species list.

The website I Googled also suggested ways to protect your trees, basically echoing what Rusty on P.I. said. I'm actually glad you enlightened me about the sapsucker being a protected species because I really didn't want to shoot anymore (I've only shot one, many months ago), I didn't like having to do it but at the time I really didn't think I had any other recourse. I will just install a skirt or netting around my royal's trunk if the sapsucker comes back. I haven't seen him for about 4-5 days now. My wife will be very happy now that I won't shoot any more sapsuckers, as she wasn't happy about it when she asked my why my BB gun was leaning up in the corner next to the door to the garage -- and I told her the reason.

Thanks for the FYI link.

Mad about palms

Just sayin'.....;-)

Rusty

I can understand that; when I lived in Tallahassee, I used to hate when the squirrels would eat my new bamboo shoots. Walt, if you wanna try some Roystonea altissima, and you find your way down in South Florida, I have one with your name on it. Might be a cool palm to try if you like Royals.

Thanks for the offer, Andrew. If I were planning a trip to south Florida I would certainly take you up on the offer, but since I have about 15 R. borinquena in pots, some about 7 feet overall in height, they will suffice for my hunger for more royal palms. I plan to strategically plant these royals in the warmer parts of my property when they are bigger.

I've lost a number of royal palms over the years because I planted them too small. I think the reason my R. regia has survived three winters now is that I brought it in with about 7 feet of trunk. This palm survived my all-time open yard low of 20.8 degrees back in December of 2010. The fronds were fried to a crisp, but the royal came back. Also, December of 2010 was the coldest December (average temperature for month) in Florida since records have been kept. The fact my royal wasn't killed (and it wasn't protected) made a believer out of me as to its cold hardiness.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

I would have plucked the feathers off, gutted it, and threw it in a pot with some wild rice. Probably not alot of meat on the little sapsucker......(pun intended) ....but at least you could have made the most of the situation. When you shoot something, you should always try to eat it , in my opinion......but hey, I guess thats just me. When I was a dumb kid, I ate various types of birds that are not normally thought of a food.....and to be honest most of them tasted pretty similar. Anyway, hope the Royal suffers no more damage as they are one of my favorite palms.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

thank you

Syagrusbotryophora.jpg

That's a sweet palm! I would plant a bunch more, if you have the room and they will survive---looks awesome!

I have one more, a smaller one, I planted in the spring of 2011. I strategically planted it on the south side of a large clump of Bambusa oldhamii and partially under the canopy of an Enterolubium contortisiliquum tree for better protection against frost. It worked because this smaller palm went through last winter undamaged. The tradeoff is that this palm gets less sun, although it seems to be adequate sunshine.

Syagrusbotryophora2.jpg

Mad about palms

Try using bottle rockets instead.

I think I have some 20-year old bottle rockets (with report) stored in my shed -- if the rats haven't destroyed them by now.

Mad about palms

I would have plucked the feathers off, gutted it, and threw it in a pot with some wild rice. Probably not alot of meat on the little sapsucker......(pun intended) ....but at least you could have made the most of the situation. When you shoot something, you should always try to eat it , in my opinion......but hey, I guess thats just me. When I was a dumb kid, I ate various types of birds that are not normally thought of a food.....and to be honest most of them tasted pretty similar. Anyway, hope the Royal suffers no more damage as they are one of my favorite palms.

One day I may have to resort to eating the game off my property if our dollar becomes next to worthless and our economy crashes.

The royal palm is my favorite species ever since I saw my first one in person down in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in February of 1969. I was serving in the U.S. Navy and my ship steamed to Puerto Rico for the entire month of February. I had never been to a tropical country before, and only as far south as Jacksonville, Florida; hence, I never saw a royal palm in the flesh.

Anyway, I went on liberty in the old San Juan area. While sightseeing around I came across some kind of old government building (constructed in Spanish architecture with Spanish roof tiles, lots of arches, etc.). A walkway lead up to the front entryway of the building, and on each side of the walkway in the grassed area just before the building's front steps stood two towering royal palms with stunningly beautiful green crown shafts and fronds. I was totally awed at the beautiful sight. I had no idea what species of palms they were -- but I was now hooked on them!

In retrospect, from what I know now, they were probably Roystonea borinquena.

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

• 8 months later...

The woodpecker or sap sucker bird that put all the holes in my royal palm hasn't been seen in months now. I assume a hawk or some other bird of prey got him.

And just when I thought all was well, I found this surprise. Yesterday, as I was driving my yard tractor to pick up some fallen limbs, I happened to drive by my royal palm, only to see a long longitudinal split in the trunk! The spit is at least 3/4" wide and 1" deep and about 5-6 feet long. I can only assume that my royal palm took up more water than the trunk could handle. We've had above average rain here and the water table is very high. I even had standing water in some of the low spots on my property, although it's since went down. One thing I will always know, the split wasn't caused by freeze damage!

Royalpalm_zpsc2017d2e.jpg

Royalpalmtrunksplit_zps5c318344.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

I don't think this is the work of a wood pecker, even thought they might have been working the area behind. This is very much the MO of a Yellow-bellied Sap Sucker

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I don't think this is the work of a wood pecker, even thought they might have been working the area behind. This is very much the MO of a Yellow-bellied Sap Sucker

I definitely agree with you, it is (was) a yellow-bellied sap sucker, and a female at that. My wife thought it was a yellow flicker but she's mistaken. After looking at the photos (adult female) at the below link, I'm convinced the bird that was responsible for all my royal palm trunk damage was indeed a yellow-bellied sap sucker.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-bellied_Sapsucker/id

Mad about palms

After the big freeze of 2010 here, I lost several plants that might have recovered to those SOBs. They took full advantage of their weakened state.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 3 years later...

Doink!

Happy Easter Walt!

Maybe give us an update on your Royal woodpecker/ sapsucker problem?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/16/2017, 11:43:50, DoomsDave said:

Doink!

Happy Easter Walt!

Maybe give us an update on your Royal woodpecker/ sapsucker problem?

Dave, the trunk of my royal looks worst than ever. I will post an update photo when I next get the chance. Go to 15:38 of the below video to see what the trunk looked like last November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsE24JqjP8

Mad about palms

13 minutes ago, Walt said:

Dave, the trunk of my royal looks worst than ever. I will post an update photo when I next get the chance. Go to 15:38 of the below video to see what the trunk looked like last November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsE24JqjP8

:wacko:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone heard of the disease called and don't judge the spelling, but it divi opolis which I was just told starts with the red headed sapsucker. My dwarf royals started looking bad and are leaking sap. My tree guy said there is no cure. But when I try to look it up I find no reasearch. If any one can help save my dwarfs let me know please. I was told its a relatively new disease.