IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update on huge Bottle Palms @ Gateway Center, San Diego

MattyB

I was in East San Diego this morning and decided to swing by the monsterous Hyophorbe lagenicaulis planted in the Gateway Center industrial complex. This building is now occupied by the SD Blood Bank. Just goes to show you what planting against a sunny, southern wall can do. Enjoy! :)

post-126-0-57097800-1353094954_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-98297100-1353094960_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46138600-1353094967_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13814700-1353094972_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-17589800-1353094978_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-11369700-1353094984_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

those trunks make me think they have had a rough life. is it irregular watering that causes the trunks to become so unevenly tapered?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

It could be a combination of irregular water and tramautic cold events killing all the leaves.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

that c.mitis looks worse for the wear. how about the d.leptochielos & that licuala spinosa?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

that would make sense. they have definitely pushed through it each time though. seeing those trees make them seem tougher than they are for most people.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I don't remember where the D. lepto is and I forgot to look at that L. spinosa at the front door. Stupid me. I can only think of so many things Paul~! I was working (I'm a prostitute)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

did you at least remember the lube,then?

ok,this thread is going downhill fast--someone make a stock market "prediction!"

still "warning-free."

it wasnt blood he wanted to donate,he was at the wrong bank. :winkie:

still "warning-free."

hahaha :floor: (that's not laughing, it's coughing from my disease)

How come Triode couldn't predict the crash of this thread and warned us in advance?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

"take this bottle around the corner and fill 'er up"...

sorry for the tacky pun, but we gotta get back on the topic of palms or, dun dun dun.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Hmm.

Those Hyophorbes look a lot like some kind of guided missile that got a bit misguided.

But! They're alive and large in So-Cal.

Here in Guada La Habra, senor, they all end up in the compost pile . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Matt for posting! I may be poking my stick into the fire ant nest here, but Hyophorbe in California is not an attractive palm. Why the interest in such an ungainly palm? Once they are past the juvenile 'jug bottle' phase they are ugly. :indifferent:

San Francisco, California

hahaha :floor: (that's not laughing, it's coughing from my disease)

How come Triode couldn't predict the crash of this thread and warned us in advance?

maybe his crystal ball is cracked. or something with all those words in it.

still "warning-free."

Thanks Matt for posting! I may be poking my stick into the fire ant nest here, but Hyophorbe in California is not an attractive palm. Why the interest in such an ungainly palm? Once they are past the juvenile 'jug bottle' phase they are ugly. :indifferent:

Well, most of the rest of us don't get any prettier as we age, either. :)

Maybe sometimes beauty is in survival?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well, most of the rest of us don't get any prettier as we age, either. :)

Maybe sometimes beauty is in survival?

So True!

For Socal it is different. Better than a washie or a queen imho.

I will have to take a picture of 2 Hyphorbe Verschaffeltii in the Sunsets Cliff area of Ocean Beach, San Diego. True fatties trying to set seed even as we sit here at our key boards. I do agree with Darryl that they don't often look good, but those 2 and Matty Bs post of his Lagenicalis are proof that it is possible to grow them here and for them to look good. I have seen them on the Big Island of Hawaii where they were robust, but they had so much, for a better word crap, growing on the trunk due to the moisture and humidity that they weren't that attractive. There are others around San Diego that do look good. For the record I personally have had a hand in the death of all of the easily obtained species, unintentional of course, ,if that is a defense.

burt repine