IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I think the stock market is about to crash....

trioderob

From a technical view, the failure of the S&P to break through the triple top formation is certainly negative, from a fundamental point of view, it is clear that people are moving their assets out of the market prior to the potential for higher taxes in 2013.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Yea...much more higher taxes. Get use to it!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

So does this guy.. http://www.cnbc.com/id/49802535 but then again he just about always thinks it's going to crash.

Personally I do think there are way to many hurdles both technical and fundamental for the market to make any new highs. Even great dividend paying stocks are getting beat up because of the lack of clarity from our great leaders,

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Yeah, I'm no rich guy, but ask any accountant and they will speculate middle class taxes, along with the rich will go up an average of 3 to 4k a year, per person. That and I bet we will see another deficit... :rant:

So does this guy.. http://www.cnbc.com/id/49802535 but then again he just about always thinks it's going to crash.

Personally I do think there are way to many hurdles both technical and fundamental for the market to make any new highs. Even great dividend paying stocks are getting beat up because of the lack of clarity from our great leaders,

Even Dr. Doom is right pnce in a while....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Yeah, I'm no rich guy, but ask any accountant and they will speculate middle class taxes, along with the rich will go up an average of 3 to 4k a year, per person. That and I bet we will see another deficit... :rant:

The deficit has nothing to do with taxes, unfortunately....

John Case

Brentwood CA

I will admit I have no idea where people who pull out the market plan on putting that $$$. Everything just seems to suck.

Jupiter FL

The deficit has nothing to do with taxes, unfortunately....

Other than that they are both something to complain about--a deficit gives the government a reason to raise taxes, but it doesn't directly correlate to a surplus(though in my opinion, it should).

If we had a surplus would they still raise taxes?

Probably not, but who knows with this bunch of clowns.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

If we had a surplus would they still raise taxes?

Probably not, but who knows with this bunch of clowns.....

I can't believe it, but is anybody happy with our "bunch of clowns"? This is way beyond a political left versus right IMO. Constitutional Convention, anyone???

Very perceptive! B)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Get ready to buy some undervalued assets.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They don't call a constitutional convention a "Con Con" for nothing. Just wait for QE4. QE3 was not enough juice. QE4 will drive indexes through the roof. Great time to buy. Bernake is going to take one for the team. The hangover is hyperinflation. The fed has already made it perfectly clear that they will do whatever it takes to create inflation and monetize the debt. Somebody will ring the dinner bell soon. Not that QE4 will ultimately work, but what wal street wants, wall street gets. It is quite telling that the candidates raised over $2 billion for this election cycle. Did that big money come from the little guy? On the positive side, hyperinflation means that an encephalartos gratus with 3" caudex will be $800.

This is why I like hedges.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hyperinflation is a pipe dream! At least in the short term in the U.S. (maybe not so for Greece?). And QE is not going to do anything (and there’s no way the zombie money printing etc. can cause inflation with the current deleveraging – liquidity injections since 2008 have failed to increase US money supply (go figure)). Debt deflation is the problem right now, everywhere. Everyone has lived (most of us) through the biggest credit bubble in history. It should be quite clear that it hasn’t fully deflated yet. Until it has, there will be no ‘economic’ recovery. Heck, the IMF is saying that European banks need to sell 4.5 trillion in assets through 2013 – explain how could that create inflation??? Sit back and enjoy the ride… 2013 is going to be a hell of a year!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

The dollar has become a digital currency not worth the paper it is not printed on, just like all fiat currencies eventualy wind up as. Although the velocity of money is almost non existent, the banks and corporations are sitting on untold billions. M3 is not disclosed and there is no chance of an audit of the federal reserve. The fed continues to bail by printing, not just in the US but in the EU. Deflation? Possible. Look for QE4!

English please...

Ignorance is bliss :bemused:

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Hyperinflation is a pipe dream! At least in the short term in the U.S. (maybe not so for Greece?). And QE is not going to do anything (and there’s no way the zombie money printing etc. can cause inflation with the current deleveraging – liquidity injections since 2008 have failed to increase US money supply (go figure)). Debt deflation is the problem right now, everywhere. Everyone has lived (most of us) through the biggest credit bubble in history. It should be quite clear that it hasn’t fully deflated yet. Until it has, there will be no ‘economic’ recovery. Heck, the IMF is saying that European banks need to sell 4.5 trillion in assets through 2013 – explain how could that create inflation??? Sit back and enjoy the ride… 2013 is going to be a hell of a year!

Agreed. The fact it hasn't happened yet tells you a lot about Wall Street. I think I will stick to tax exempt bonds and structured notes plus ride some reverse indexes stocks like SOXS for a while :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sit back and enjoy the ride… 2013 is going to be a hell of a year!

I guess I should clarify my question...you are talking in very macro terms. Curious what you think 2013 portends for the average, ordinary individuals.

"I think the stock market is about to crash...."

Nice open ended prediction.

What's a "crash?" -10%, -20%, -30%, -40%, -50% ???

And when? This week?, This month?, This Quarter, This Year???

And what index? The Dow?, The S&P?, The NASDAQ?

I think a torrential rain is coming.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Take all of your liquid assets, cash in all your bonds and stock values (whats left), and invest in real estate. Then purchase cycads and watch your investments grow. Thats what I'm doing and at least I see real tangeable value and not some decomposing paper and ink pipeline to corrupt currency scammers and government feedbag brokers.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Anything of real value. That is why they call it Real Estate. The more money they print, the less it becomes worth. And believe me, they are printing money! So, when it takes more dollars to buy something, what do you get? Inflation. Having inflation is not always indicative of demand. Rather, it is a sign of a weak currency. Think Weimer Republic; it did not take less marks to buy a loaf of bread, it took more (an entire wheel barrel at one point).

An inflationary scenario is my opinion. The government can monetize its debt this way.Wall Street will have its rally. I am not an economist (but I did date one). I am not even smart enough to know how to post a photo on palmtalk (thanks again Moose). But I am just functional enough to look at USA Today style pie charts and draw a conclusion.

no dypsisdean-

i made a good "real time' stock market call right there

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

S&P closed on Nov 12 when you made your call 1380

Closing today after a big drop - around 1354

That's a drop of a little under 2%

Is that the "crash" you were talking about?

Kona, on The Big Island

dude-

we just dropped 1 1/2 % today alone - am I wrong ????????

ok - will stop talking....you teach me about the stock market.

Edited by trioderob

dude-

I don't know Rob. That's why I asked what you call a "crash." (Which you didn't answer.) I also asked what time frame you were discussing. (Which you didn't answer.) Without those qualification (before today's drop) it's wasn't much of a "call."

I don't call -2% a crash. And neither does Wikipedia. "There is no numerically specific definition of a stock market crash but the term commonly applies to steep double-digit percentage losses in a stock market index over a period of several days."

Now, if you would have answered that the market will be down 2% in the next two days, then you would have been right, and it would have been a great call. You could still be right, but you have still not yet defined your terms. And defining them after the fact is "cheating." Now I'll make a similar open ended prediction - I predict that sometime soon the market will have a few days when it is up a similar amount. (I'll define my terms after I see what happens.) :)

Kona, on The Big Island

dude-

ok - will stop talking....you teach me about the stock market.

Sorry but I refuse to take my market predictions from someone who still uses the term "dude". :mrlooney:

Jupiter FL

Well, S&P500 yesterday broke through the most watched line in the world - the 200-day moving average. Is this what you are referring to trioderob?

Things could indeed get ugly from here...

Edited by Mr Cycad

Kurt

I agree with the purchase of tangible assets. Little gold, little silver, some real estate (home, farmland and investment), commodities, got plenty of liquor to barter. Got guns and fishing gear. Got chickens in the country laying eggs. Not going to hold a lot of cash, lock in low mortgage rates now.

There is no velocity to the piles of cash that the fed has pumped into the banks etc.....if the economy starts to pick up, I don't believe they can pull the cash out fast enough to prevent rapid inflation.

Just my opinion....if everything turns out peaches and cream.....I'll eat the chickens, drink the liquor, enjoy the properties, keep the silver and gold as an emergency fund and go hunting and fishing. I'm out of the market unless it crashes big...then I might dip my toe back in.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

One thing interesting about the present correction is the money doesn't seem to be flowing anywhere. Makes me believe it's presently a better buying opportunity then sell regardless of all the uncertainties ahead.

Jupiter FL

So far, it's a correction, and a minor one at that. Crashes are sudden and violent, like October 19, 1987, down 20% in a single day.

IMO the massive bank liquidations and unwidings in 2008 and 2009, and the current massive cash positions make a true crash unlikely. Main Street never went back into the market, nor did the banks, who's going to do all the selling? I'm not sensing the necessary panic required to produce a crash.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Not enough panic for ya huh?

How about NOW!!!!!!!!! after you seee thisssss!!!!!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :sick::badday::o:wacko:

I rest my case

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)