Jump to content
MOlivera

Roystonea regia in Flagler Beach (North Florida)

Recommended Posts

Sandy Loam
17 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

I live in sanford 20 Min north of Orlando and it got down to 28 one night and ultimately killed my royal this past January . This was 2 days after it got to 28 here . I have since replaced it with another royal , but at the same time this royal I only planted in October, 3 months  prior so it wasn’t rooted yet 7B4003AE-A201-4343-BFEE-E9853D2AB303.thu

As long as the roots are buried in the ground (not in a pot) when a freeze happens, does it really make much of a difference whether the roots have established themselves firmly in the ground? Either way, the roots are not exposed to the cold unless they are above ground level, e.g. in a pot.  Does anyone out there know?  I ask because there are several palms that I (unwisely) planted right before the big January 2018 freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Estlander
34 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

As long as the roots are buried in the ground (not in a pot) when a freeze happens, does it really make much of a difference whether the roots have established themselves firmly in the ground? Either way, the roots are not exposed to the cold unless they are above ground level, e.g. in a pot.  Does anyone out there know? 

Good question. I’ve been wondering about the same thing. The roots may be pushed closer together but the plant itself is still established, no?

Sure, there may be some shock as it senses a new type of soil around it but it still it’s quite different from transplanting and having it’s roots cut. 

Edited by Estlander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve the palmreader
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2012‎ ‎10‎:‎54‎:‎54‎, howfam said:

Eric. I finally got pics of the royal Palms here in Jacksonville on Goodby's creek, just off the St. Johns River. Two doubled ones are against the east side of the house and the 3 other pics are of the same palm located near the pool.

 

post-7094-0-68937200-1356536462_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-05029400-1356536516_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-92635300-1356536591_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-35031000-1356536617_thumb.jp

Please try to get a updated picture, Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
howfam

 

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2012‎ ‎10‎:‎54‎:‎54‎, howfam said:

Eric. I finally got pics of the royal Palms here in Jacksonville on Goodby's creek, just off the St. Johns River. Two doubled ones are against the east side of the house and the 3 other pics are of the same palm located near the pool.

 

post-7094-0-68937200-1356536462_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-05029400-1356536516_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-92635300-1356536591_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-35031000-1356536617_thumb.jp

Sorry folks. My updated pictures  will not upload, with 8 mb limit message coming up. Can someone advise on how to get around this 8 mb limit issue.,
 

Edited by howfam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
On 4/27/2018, 1:18:49, Estlander said:

Good question. I’ve been wondering about the same thing. The roots may be pushed closer together but the plant itself is still established, no?

Sure, there may be some shock as it senses a new type of soil around it but it still it’s quite different from transplanting and having it’s roots cut. 

The trees roots needs to establish themselves. The soil is not acclimated with the tree. 

 

24 minutes ago, howfam said:

 

Sorry folks. My updated pictures  will not upload, with 8 mb limit message coming up. Can someone advise on how to get around this 8 mb limit issue.,
 

Where is the new pics ???? Just play with it .....it tells me that also and I’m not sure because I forgot but u can upload the pics ....there is a way around it but I forgot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

I was under the impression that the only way around the 8 MB daily limit was to join the International Palm Society.  I used to be a member of two local palm societies, both (or one?) of which may have been IPS affiliates.  However, I am not sure that local palm societies are enough, or whether you have to sign up for an annual IPS membership.  I am a bit vague on the particulars, but I do recall that IPS members enjoyed several superior perks as PalmTalk users.  Someone else out there will know more than me, and their response might be an opportunity for an IPS support salespitch while they're at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

All members of the forum, IPS or not, can post pictures. You may have to compress some of your photo file sizes so that you can upload them. If you have the pictures on your phone, I would recommend using the Lit Photo app to do this, it normally does not distort pictures and turn them etc. 

Edit: My bad if you already found out how to post pictures, I will just leave this here for new members to see. :)

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PALM MOD
3 hours ago, howfam said:

 

Sorry folks. My updated pictures  will not upload, with 8 mb limit message coming up. Can someone advise on how to get around this 8 mb limit issue.,
 

I have tried answering your questions on the other topic where you asked the same question two days ago. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47350-811-mb-only-allowed/#comment-868647 But I have not heard back from you. Please feel free to contact me directly rather than address this publicly.

As mentioned - unless you are an IPS Member, there is an 8mb limit for uploading pics per post. But until you provide me with the info asked for in the other topic, I can't help much.

By joining the IPS you not only get all the benefits of the IPS, but you also get additional privileges here like ability to attach pics to Private Messages (along with other PM advantages), additional Search privileges, etc. And you are helping support the IPS as it continues to provide this Forum, Grants, and other efforts to promote palm knowledge, appreciation, and enjoyment.

You can join HERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
8 hours ago, howfam said:

 

Sorry folks. My updated pictures  will not upload, with 8 mb limit message coming up. Can someone advise on how to get around this 8 mb limit issue.,
 

All u have to do is edit then crop your photos ....it will shrink the mb size on them ...do it all the time on here 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
5 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

I have tried answering your questions on the other topic where you asked the same question two days ago. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47350-811-mb-only-allowed/#comment-868647 But I have not heard back from you. Please feel free to contact me directly rather than address this publicly.

As mentioned - unless you are an IPS Member, there is an 8mb limit for uploading pics per post. But until you provide me with the info asked for in the other topic, I can't help much.

By joining the IPS you not only get all the benefits of the IPS, but you also get additional privileges here like ability to attach pics to Private Messages (along with other PM advantages), additional Search privileges, etc. And you are helping support the IPS as it continues to provide this Forum, Grants, and other efforts to promote palm knowledge, appreciation, and enjoyment.

You can join HERE

That’s untrue . All u have to do is crop your photos .....I do it every time I post pictures on here ....,

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PALM MOD
10 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

That’s untrue . All u have to do is crop your photos .....I do it every time I post pictures on here ....,

Not sure what is "untrue." Of course using photos under the size limit is one solution. And of course joining the IPS is still appreciated nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
On 10/14/2018, 4:46:36, PALM MOD said:

Not sure what is "untrue." Of course using photos under the size limit is one solution. And of course joining the IPS is still appreciated nonetheless.

But you made it like it’s the only way just to sell your product .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth
9 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

But you made it like it’s the only way just to sell your product .....

Server space isn't free...

You can always try uploading your picture to an image hosting website and embed it into a post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
On 10/18/2018, 7:08:15, Zeeth said:

Server space isn't free...

You can always try uploading your picture to an image hosting website and embed it into a post.

Yes it is . You just crop your photo which takes 10 seconds 

Edited by Jason-Palm king

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason-Palm king
On 10/13/2018, 11:59:19, PalmTreeDude said:

All members of the forum, IPS or not, can post pictures. You may have to compress some of your photo file sizes so that you can upload them. If you have the pictures on your phone, I would recommend using the Lit Photo app to do this, it normally does not distort pictures and turn them etc. 

Edit: My bad if you already found out how to post pictures, I will just leave this here for new members to see. :)

Or just crop your photo which takes 10 seconds to do ....I do it all the time on here with no issues ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

This one in particular stands out in town (Feb 2017):
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0112719,-81.9485232,3a,71.8y,207.45h,92.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJq_H5NbY80GnKykCRMuH5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you play with the map a little, you can see the progression from 2007, 2008, 2011, to 2017.  I moved the map up Coventry Avenue to get a few other views.
Here it is in May 2011:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.011392,-81.9485553,3a,75y,188.5h,89.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syWF4zNs7oTLUnUvo9zTyYw!2e0!5s20110501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Here it is in Dec. 2007:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0112812,-81.9485328,3a,75y,171.08h,88.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1seAz8u1McXQqyMLjnUzq_-A!2e0!5s20071201T000000!7i3328!8i1664

Someone else would have to guess the age.  I'm not as familiar with their relatively fast growth rate.  I also can't confirm a date at which it was planted other than before December of 2007.  The absolute low at our airport during the verifiable time frame was 24F last year.  This location was probably a little warmer than the airport, but here were the annual lows for the airport:


Year    Low (F)    Month
2018    24    Jan
2017    33    Jan
2016    33    Jan
2015    26    Feb
2014    32    Jan
2013    32    Feb
2012    30    Jan
2011    32    Jan
2010    26    Jan
2009    26    Jan
2008    26    Jan
2007    32    Feb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

I always wished that the IPS made a simple buy button on PT to extend or buy new membership. Call me lazy but I think it would increase membership for the "Amazon" generation. They could even sell other IPS products with a simple "buy it now" button on PT website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...