IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea regia in Flagler Beach (North Florida)

MOlivera

Amazing to have that in Jacksonville! What's the palm just to the right of the one Royal? Ravenea? Nice pics

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

From my understanding, the temperature decrease in Florida is due to so much of the everglades being drained, as the mediating effects of the water kept the temperatures up.

I don't see how the Evergaldes would benefit north Florida's climate 400 miles to the north.

It extended much farther north than it does now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Florida_Everglades_Hydrology.gif

Keith,

The map appears to show the watersheds for the various central FL river systems (which would still be in place today), but the sloughs, which might moderate climate, all appear to be in south FL. So, unless I'm reading the map incorrectly, this doesn't show the Everglades extending any farther north than they do today - according to the key. (?)

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Eric. I finally got pics of the royal Palms here in Jacksonville on Goodby's creek, just off the St. Johns River. Two doubled ones are against the east side of the house and the 3 other pics are of the same palm located near the pool.

attachicon.gifMiscellaneous 512.JPG,attachicon.gifMiscellaneous 510.JPG,attachicon.gifMiscellaneous 513.JPG,attachicon.gifMiscellaneous 511.JPG

Good investigative work ! looks like some other zone pushers in that yard

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

• 1 year later...

Yes Xerarch, sorry I took so long to respond, but I haven't been on this thread much, but yes, that is Ravenea rivalaris next to the royal.

Yes Xerarch, sorry I took so long to respond, but I haven't been on this thread much, but yes, that is Ravenea rivalaris next to the royal.

It's nice to see it looking so nice in that climate too

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Notwithstanding that Roystonia Regia and Roystonia Elata are genetically the same (and have therefore been grouped into one species), is there any evidence that Roystonia Elata is more cold hardy? The native Roystonia Elata which grow wild in the forests at Fakahatchee Strand State Park and Collier-Seminole State Park have been there for hundreds of years presumably, obviously separated from Cuba by water and distance. If so, is it possible that the royal palms up in northern Florida at Flagler Beach and Jacksonville are Roystonia Elata? Eric pointed out the physical differences between the two species earlier in this thread even though, technically, they are the same species. My eye is not trained to see the differences.

I live an hour west of Flagler Beach and I would never even try to plant a royal palm this far north or this far inland. Our January overnight lows are occasionally just too cold, even though we typically experience 20 C/70 F during the afternoon at that time of year.

Old thread, but does anyone care for an update? I might be blowing through this neighborhood tomorrow. I believe there is a bismark and a king as well.

Jeff

North Florida

I'll try to go to Flagler next week , as I'm only 20 min south.

There is at least one large long term Royal in Ormond Beach on the Beachside north of SR40 .

There are a number of other crownshaft palms in the area , and many Bismarkias and some Triangles etc

as the Big Box stores have been selling them for a few years now .

• 10 months later...

Today i took this picture of a royal palm growing up here in Flagler Beach. I don't know how old or how long its been planted at this site. The tree looks like its been there for at least 4 or 5 years, maybe more. It looks like its got some cold damage on the trunk. I first saw it from my friends boat while we were fishing in the intracoastal and i was surprised to see it. I figured out where we were and here's the picture. I haven't been able to speak with the owners but if i do i will make sure to find out more about it.

MOlivera:

Have you seen the Flagler Beach royal lately? Is it still there nearly 3 years after you started this thread? What street is it on? I'd like to see it on Google Street View.

Hello guys, the Royal is on Cumberland Dr. Last home on the left. The palm is still there and doing good last time I checked earlier this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is very impressive. So it seems that Northeast Florida does has potential to plant Roystoneas. Climate seemed to be warmer hundreds of years ago.

Yes Eric there are several royal palms in St. Augustine that have been in the ground for many years. They are on Water Street in downtown St. Augustine.

Lou St. Aug, FL

Yes Eric there are several royal palms in St. Augustine that have been in the ground for many years. They are on Water Street in downtown St. Augustine.

Lou-StAugFl :

I can't find the St. Augustine royals on Google Street View. Can you give more detail as to where on Water St. the royals are located?

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2012, 8:59:16, MOlivera said:

Today i took this picture of a royal palm growing up here in Flagler Beach. I don't know how old or how long its been planted at this site. The tree looks like its been there for at least 4 or 5 years, maybe more. It looks like its got some cold damage on the trunk. I first saw it from my friends boat while we were fishing in the intracoastal and i was surprised to see it. I figured out where we were and here's the picture. I haven't been able to speak with the owners but if i do i will make sure to find out more about it.

post-1837-0-85900800-1352426297_thumb.jp

Is this royal still alive after 5 years ago ?? Just curious ....

On 12/26/2012, 10:54:54, howfam said:

Eric. I finally got pics of the royal Palms here in Jacksonville on Goodby's creek, just off the St. Johns River. Two doubled ones are against the east side of the house and the 3 other pics are of the same palm located near the pool.

post-7094-0-68937200-1356536462_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-05029400-1356536516_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-92635300-1356536591_thumb.jp,post-7094-0-35031000-1356536617_thumb.jp

Any updates on these royals on Jacksonville ???? Are they still alive ???

Those Royals in Jacksonville got to love St John's River! Up next: Coconuts! Well, maybe on the south side of the river.

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I have seen that Royal Palm down in Ormond Beach along John Anderson Road off the Halifax river.  And I have recently been told of mature Royals in downtown St. Augustine off Water Street but have yet to check them out.  But Royals in JAX? That is a total surprise.  I never would have imagined that in a million years.  I am guessing they are protected from northwest exposure.  Thanks for sharing howfam!

Edited by Kekoanui

On 10/30/2017, 5:44:58, Jason-Palm king said:

Is this royal still alive after 5 years ago ?? Just curious ....

Yes, it’s still alive and doing good

• Upvote 1

PICTURES?

Ahem

If possible.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 11/19/2012, 8:41:40, howfam said:

TickiRick. I live in Jacksonville and I know someone with 3 royal palms in his yard, 25-30 ft tall. He lives on Goodby's creek just off the St. Johns River on the south side of town. He says they've been in the ground for 12 years. He protected them the first six years and hasn't protected them the last six years, and we had record number of days in the 20's during winters of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. Last year was unusually mild. Success maybe due to establishment of palms and possible microclimate.

I've been looking at pictures if this house for the last week, and we have been chatting about it in another post (most exotic palms in 9b) the post was written incorrectly and was supposed to say 9a. I just planted a royal in Ponte Vedra Florida,  in the Nocatee community.  I too plan on protecting it for as long as I can manage. I'll be keeping the site updated.

6 minutes ago, Insomniac411 said:

I've been looking at pictures if this house for the last week, and we have been chatting about it in another post (most exotic palms in 9b) the post was written incorrectly and was supposed to say 9a. I just planted a royal in Ponte Vedra Florida,  in the Nocatee community.  I too plan on protecting it for as long as I can manage. I'll be keeping the site updated.

Let’s see some pics of the royal you just planted !! I live in sanford and this is my royal I just planted 2 weeks ago ! Good luck on yours and our winters here in Florida have been mild the past 7 years 788BCF52-D7E7-459C-B7D4-A70779A0CB6B.thu

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Let’s see some pics of the royal you just planted !! I live in sanford and this is my royal I just planted 2 weeks ago ! Good luck on yours and our winters here in Florida have been mild the past 7 years 788BCF52-D7E7-459C-B7D4-A70779A0CB6B.thu

We've got a ways to go you and I lol. Good luck. They appear similar in size.

20171105_074807-747x1328.jpg

20171105_074857-747x1328.jpg

20171105_074943-1328x747.jpg

Mine is planted on the western side of my home which gets the most sun, basically all day, so I'm hoping it's in the best spot I can provide.

17 minutes ago, Insomniac411 said:

We've got a ways to go you and I lol. Good luck. They appear similar in size.

20171105_074807-747x1328.jpg

20171105_074857-747x1328.jpg

20171105_074943-1328x747.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!! Where did u purchase yours at??? I use to live in jax and if u google royal palm trees Jacksonville my royal comes up on images ....I planted my royal when I lived in jax in summer of 2010...you can guess what happened to it that winter ... living in central Florida now I believe my royal here will survive ...there is an RV place 5 Min from my house that has about 20 royals that are 30 feet tall! I had to go to Daytona Beach to get my royal in 2010...the good thing living in the Orlando area almost all the nurseries here have royals 

There's a guy who sets up a temporary nursery 2 times a year on the corner of Old St. Augustine rd and Phillips Hway. He brings in a variety of stuff and occasionally stuff that DO NOT thrive here. He's sold foxtails,  bottle palms, royals, Christmas palms, areca, and some others I've been weary of purchasing but I'm starting to branch my collection out with hopes that some protection and effort will help some of these plants flourish.

Edited by Insomniac411
Typo

19 minutes ago, Insomniac411 said:

There's a guy who sets up a temporary nursery 2 times a year on the corner of Old St. Augustine rd and Phillips Hway. He brings in a variety of stuff and occasionally stuff that DO NOT thrive here. He's sold foxtails,  bottle palms, royals, Christmas palms, areca, and some others I've been weary of purchasing but I'm starting to branch my collection out with hopes that some protection and effort will help some of these plants flourish.

Home Depot’s bring in foxtails and coconut palms to jax every year now ....royals are the only ones I don’t see there ...

On 10/30/2017, 5:56:16, Jason-Palm king said:

Any updates on these royals on Jacksonville ???? Are they still alive ???

I just passed by today and it was AMAZING! 

20171105_141117_001-747x1328.jpg

20171105_141140-747x1328.jpg

20171105_141232-747x1328.jpg

20171105_141246-1328x747.jpg

20171105_141258-1328x747.jpg

20171105_141444-1328x747.jpg

• Upvote 5

Insomniac:

• Nice royal you've planted. The western exposure is a tricky one though, and you should take care to protect it from the cold Northwest winds. The palms at the house I posted in 2012 , according to the owner, really took a beating the first 6 years in the ground (they were approx. 12 years in the ground as of Dec. 2012). However with TLC , establishment, and good microclimate, these palms have survived here in Jax- where they're "not supposed" to survive. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. BTW- What are the livistona-looking palms in the background of your royal?/ howfam

19 minutes ago, howfam said:

Insomniac:

• Nice royal you've planted. The western exposure is a tricky one though, and you should take care to protect it from the cold Northwest winds. The palms at the house I posted in 2012 , according to the owner, really took a beating the first 6 years in the ground (they were approx. 12 years in the ground as of Dec. 2012). However with TLC , establishment, and good microclimate, these palms have survived here in Jax- where they're "not supposed" to survive. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. BTW- What are the livistona-looking palms in the background of your royal?/ howfam

That tree behind my royal is a coconut palm I got in the pot at Home Depot here for $20 2 months ago! Let’s see if it survives here as I can easily protect it until the roots are established 

46 minutes ago, howfam said:

Insomniac:

Howfam, thats my intent. When the weather gets to the frost point, I cover a lot of plants as it is, so my intent is to start pushing the limits a bit and just put in the elbow grease to keep them as happy as possible in cold spurts. As far as the trees in the back, you hit it on the head. Both livistona chinensis. Directly behind them is a mule palm, then two queens. On a small subdivision lot, I'm running out of room. All my neighbors think I'm nuts. They call me the PalmWhisperer, becuase everyone comes to me for palm advice (and I get most my answers from this forum lol)

Yes, it would be nice if Home Depot and Lowe's carried royals like they carry coconuts. They are a much better gamble in Jax than are the coconuts. I'm gonna talk to the nursery managers at these stores about stocking royals. As for me personally, I grow my royals from seed collected by a friend near Fort Myers who sends them to me from time to time.  My goal is to grow a good number of them and put them out in select areas in the Jax area where good microclimates exist. That's not too hard to do with the number of waterways we have here. 

I've enjoyed viewing the numerous threads discussing the growing of royals and coconuts in more northerly locales.  It will certainly make my occasional drives through north Florida a lot more interesting than seeing only slash pines and sabal minor.  :)

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have been told that most Royal Palms sold at Florida Nurseries are actually from Cuban Royal Palm stock.  Even though the Florida-native Royal Palm (Roystonia Elata / Roystonia Regia) from Collier County is supposed to be genetically identical to the Cuban Royal Palm, I always wonder if it might be slightly more cold-hardy than its Cuban cousin due to its centuries of evolution in southwestern Florida. Has anyone made this experiment? (There is likely a PalmTalk thread on this very topic). If so, does anyone know of a nursery that sells TRUE Florida Royal Palms of the Collier County variety?  I am not interested in trying to sprout seed.

Thanks.

I don't know where to get Collier County royals other than Collier County itself. However, I suggest you get into raising them from seed. It's fun to sprout and watch how fast they grow. Ease of access to seed, and fast germination make it an inexpensive, rewarding venture.

On 11/6/2017, 2:09:30, Sandy Loam said:

I have been told that most Royal Palms sold at Florida Nurseries are actually from Cuban Royal Palm stock.  Even though the Florida-native Royal Palm (Roystonia Elata / Roystonia Regia) from Collier County is supposed to be genetically identical to the Cuban Royal Palm, I always wonder if it might be slightly more cold-hardy than its Cuban cousin due to its centuries of evolution in southwestern Florida. Has anyone made this experiment? (There is likely a PalmTalk thread on this very topic). If so, does anyone know of a nursery that sells TRUE Florida Royal Palms of the Collier County variety?  I am not interested in trying to sprout seed.

Thanks.

I met a guy a number of years ago who told me a story about a street in St. Petersburg, FL that had been landscaped with Royal Palms.  I think he said the original plantings took place in the late 1930's.  Over the years, freezes took out palms until there were only a few remaining.  He gathered seeds from these "survivors" and sprouted them.  He actually gave me three of these seedlings in April of 2001.  I planted them on the side of my Winter Springs, FL (Suburb of Orlando) home.  When they were small, I tented them with a spotlight to provide supplemental heat anytime we had temperatures under 32 degrees F.  This was normally once or twice each winter.  They grew very rapidly.  I lost two of them in 2010 as we got quite cold here and all of the trees were way too large to protect.  But, the tree that was planted in the middle has continued to thrive.  It towers over my home.  I am convinced that this tree has some additional genetic disposition to tolerate cold.  It has seen a few events as cold as 24-25F and keeps growing.  Even though it is huge, I am still waiting for it to seed.  When it does, I intend to sprout as many as I can.  The attached images show the size this tree has attained.  The pictures were taken right after Hurricane Irma blew through here.  So, the tree took a beating from the 105 MPH winds we had for more than 6 hours.  But, other than that, the tree remains healthy.

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

• Upvote 4

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a