IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MattyB

I collected seeds while in Hawaii in 2007 and my Monkey Pod tree has been a trouble free grower. Here's some morning pics with the leaves still closed up. They open once it's light out. I'm hoping that it'll flower and seed soon, so I can propagate it, because I might have to chop it down if the area gets too crowded.

It's about 8 feet tall and just as wide.

post-126-0-26087500-1352306684_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-08321000-1352306690_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52350300-1352306695_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-49875800-1352306700_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80635500-1352306704_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46894400-1352306710_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey Matt--

I personally doubt it will get to flowering size in SoCal. This tree is considerably more tender than Delonix regia.

That said, even getting it to this size through SoCal winters is pretty impressive!

Good luck.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I've found this tree much easier to grow than Delonix regia.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It is a bit more cold sensitive than Delonix regia.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

tell that to my two Delonix which were planted at the same time and are 1/4 of the size.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt, that's some achievement. I tried this species several times in the '80s in L.A. and they always croaked in the cold. And everyone else I knew who tried told me the same thing. You may have happened upon a genetically strong specimen, which is great news. That was one of the biggest bummers of SoCal plant-life for me, after seeing the gorgeous specimens throughout Honolulu, that these were just too wimpy to survive the long, wet and chilly winters and springs. I finally have one down here in the Florida Keys...so I am at last satisfied. And it is certainly fast-growing in this climate. But if you've found one that will make it in San Diego, more power to you! And don't chop it down! The good news is that it casts light shade and other plants will grow beneath it (unlike nutrient-hoggy Delonix).

There are a few successful Delonix regia and at least one flowering Cassia grandis in coastal SoCal and that in itself is a wonder. But I am a believer in individual genetics and I think if you find one that thrives you have either hit on a cultural or genetic element that allows yours to thrive. Perhaps it will grow large and seed and you can start a trend...and on a distantly related subject, have you or anyone else had luck flowering Colvillea racemosa in SoCal? I failed, and I know the San Diego Zoo had one growing steadily at one point around 1990, and I think it is a cool-hardier tree overall than Delonix, but I've never seen it thriving, and particularly, flowering there.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Matt, that's some achievement. I tried this species several times in the '80s in L.A. and they always croaked in the cold. And everyone else I knew who tried told me the same thing. You may have happened upon a genetically strong specimen, which is great news. That was one of the biggest bummers of SoCal plant-life for me, after seeing the gorgeous specimens throughout Honolulu, that these were just too wimpy to survive the long, wet and chilly winters and springs. I finally have one down here in the Florida Keys...so I am at last satisfied. And it is certainly fast-growing in this climate. But if you've found one that will make it in San Diego, more power to you! And don't chop it down! The good news is that it casts light shade and other plants will grow beneath it (unlike nutrient-hoggy Delonix).

There are a few successful Delonix regia and at least one flowering Cassia grandis in coastal SoCal and that in itself is a wonder. But I am a believer in individual genetics and I think if you find one that thrives you have either hit on a cultural or genetic element that allows yours to thrive. Perhaps it will grow large and seed and you can start a trend...and on a distantly related subject, have you or anyone else had luck flowering Colvillea racemosa in SoCal? I failed, and I know the San Diego Zoo had one growing steadily at one point around 1990, and I think it is a cool-hardier tree overall than Delonix, but I've never seen it thriving, and particularly, flowering there.

Not sure where you're getting your information from; however, there's more than a few flowering Delonix regia in Southern California. If you go out the low desert, you'll see many large flowering trees.

Edited by Palms1984

MattyB:

Your Monkey Pod tree is beautiful! I've seen some in La Mesa. I guess I'll have to get some photos for proof.

It's funny, because in Honolulu, Hawai'i, where I'm from, many people call them a garbage tree. Although, I never considered it a garbage tree.

tell that to my two Delonix which were planted at the same time and are 1/4 of the size.

That's so strange! Generally, Delonix regia grows very quickly. Do you fertilize them in summer?

BTW, this tree, despite being punted around considerably, is back as Samanea saman.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Matty, I am going to guess that your saman is planted on your south facing hill with north winds blocked? A little elevation to drain away the cold air?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Michael, I know of several thriving Colvilleas approaching 15' tall here, although no flowers yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. I myself have one that is about 8' tall and growing well, and so far has managed my Inland California winters without any setbacks. Hardier than Delonix regia for sure.

San Fernando Valley, California

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, I know of several thriving Colvilleas approaching 15' tall here, although no flowers yet. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. I myself have one that is about 8' tall and growing well, and so far has managed my Inland California winters without any setbacks. Hardier than Delonix regia for sure.

I'm happy to hear you and others are growing Colvillea, Peter. That is a bang-up tree and its natural fall-flowering cycle might work better than Delonix in SoCal since it actually would have some late-summer heat build-up to work from as it pushes growth before the buds are produced. I always thought it would be a good bet for that reason and it's a shame it is not better known as this definitely holds it back. I killed mine back in the day in L.A. by overwatering in winter while it was in a pot. I think on a good south or west-facing hillside with some supplemental water in the summer a decent-sized specimen could do its thing. It might just require some initial size at planting and perhaps a decent set-back from the ocean in good ol' Sunset zone 23 or air-drained inland valley slopes (and certainly in the frost-free areas of the low desert it would thrive). Unlike the old days, inexpensive plants are available pretty readily from sources in Florida, Hawai'i, eBay, etc., so there's no reason adventurous planters (and nurseries) couldn't try it in larger numbers. With some heat it is a fast grower.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Albizia saman was killed here in the 2009/10 winter, more tender than Delonix or Colvillea here.

We are growing Albizia procera, looks similar to A. saman so far and it has proven much hardier, no damage in the 2009/10 winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have all above mentioned species doing well with average of 1800mm per year, winter temps down to 1-4 C each winter. Typically Samanea is the most tricky to grow however there are a couple at Mullumbimby which is 28 degrees south of the equator.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a few years old, but MattyB, I was wondering if your Monkey Pod Tree is still thriving. I too gathered some seeds last summer from Maui and planted them. All four sprouted with in a week last August. I am in Phoenix Arizona.

While I was away on holiday during Christmas, I left the pot outside they are growing in. Plants were about 6 inches tall. It froze here in Phoenix into the low 30s and upper 20's for 7 nights in a row, of course getting well above freezing temperatures during the day time. They survived with minimal damage on the leaves.

Anyhow, do you think they would survive in Phoenix with our dry heat. Since the temps have been warmer back in January they are all about 12 inches tall now. I'm thinking about planting them in the ground since 4 will not thrive in a small container together. Anyhow, what are your thoughts. I'm sure they need lots of water during our driest months.

Nice to see this thread revived! The S. saman I kept for myself from the bunch I bought from you, has just broken dormancy and is taking off. They are wonderful trees indeed!

I never expected this tree to live, but in fact it thrived. It got to about 8-10 feet in height/diameter and I cut it down because it was going to overpower the area I planted it in. Maybe I'll plant another one someday, but probably not. I just don't have the water for another large, water loving tree.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There's actually a huge one in downtown Fort Lauderdale that's at the center of a controversial development plan. The tree, which is considered to be the largest in the state, and, by default, the largest in the continental US is growing on a parcel slated to have a high rise built on it. The developer wants to root-prune and move it, while opponents say this will likely kill the 100-year old tree. Anyway, the article linked below is from 2012 and the tree is still in the same spot so I'm not sure if it's fate has been sealed yet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12/rain-tree-under-threat_n_2281683.html

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

I never expected this tree to live, but in fact it thrived. It got to about 8-10 feet in height/diameter and I cut it down because it was going to overpower the area I planted it in. Maybe I'll plant another one someday, but probably not. I just don't have the water for another large, water loving tree.

That's so sad you won't plant another one...as it's a very drought-tolerant tree. The seed you collected seems to produce a very hardy and vigorous tree. The little seedling you gave me about two years ago has gotten big and has grown so very fast. It actually continued to grow through this whole winter, outside. It's an amazing tree!