IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Next biennials in Sri Lanka?

doranakandawatta

post-6735-0-66954800-1352143090_thumb.jp

Since I am a new Palmtalk member, I must apologize because I don't know how IPS is organizing biennials,

but:

Why don't you come to Sri Lanka:

Peradeniya botanic garden

Samarakoon palm collection Kandy

Kandalama Hotel (G. Bawa architect)

Avissawella jungle (Ratnapura district)

Boulder Garden Hotel (!!!!)

Singharaja rainforest (place of Loxococcus rupicola and others)

Bandarawella plantation hotel or Nuwara Eliya station bangalow (tee hills)

Hakgala botanic garden

Galle Fort

Dutch House hotel (Channa Daswatte architect)

Bentota Villa (G Bawa architect)

Bentota river and mangrove

Brief Garden

Lunuganga garden

T.S. palm collection Colombo

Tintagel Hotel Colombo

ten or fifteen days.....

about the hotels, you can check on google....

Kindest regards

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Philippe,

Not a bad idea! As a matter of fact, it may be a very good idea! :) To give you a better understanding, a Biennial is a 6-7 day long event where we visit private and/or public gardens as well as (if possible) natural habitats. In 2006 we were in the Dominican Republic, 2008 Costa Rica, 2010 Rio de Janeiro/Brazil and of course in September 2012 in Thailand (mostly Nong Nooch). We had 208 participants in Thailand, so it's important that we visit areas where the infrastructure (hotels) can accomodate a group that size. Not always the case.

2014 will be in Florida - already decided. At the Board meeting in Thailand we discussed possible locations for the 2016 Biennial but no decision is likely to be made until our next BOD Meeting (Peru in Oct 2013) so the IPS is open to suggestions between now and then. Jack Sayers ("elHoagie" here on PalmTalk) is the Chair of the 2016 Biennial Committee, and I am sure he will see your comments here.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It's hard for me to imagine a 2016 IPS location that would not interest me! Thanks to the IPS who makes such events possible.

Cindy Adair

Sri Lanka? That sounds wonderful and it looks like there is already a waiting list!!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

It will be wonderful if the 2016 Biannual could be held in Sri Lanka.All assistance to make it one of the best can be assured by me. Most welcome, in case any further information is needed please do get in touch.

Kindest Regards / Thabit

Thabit,

Welcome to PalmTalk and thank you for your offer! :)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am very happy to see my friend and my PALM-MASTER THABIT back in Palmtalk Topics.

Of course if some palm-addict is landing in Sri Lanka, he has to find the way to Thabit's place.

In some next posts I'll show you, Palm alk Friends, some photos of Thabit's collection

For example HE is the man who showed me Kerriodoxa, or Socratea or Hydriastele beguini and much more!

I am sure he knows where are the wild Loxococcus in the rainforest!

Kindest regards

Philippe

Philippe

post-6735-0-57884800-1352405121_thumb.jppost-6735-0-73216600-1352405162.jpg

Raphael,

These friends are also palm-addicts, especially Caryota taste good for them!

On the photos: PUNCHI is the bigger, MANIKA is the younger female... Lovely friends.

More interesting are the wild elephants you can approach in some Sanctuaries.

Regards

Philippe

Philippe

Aloha Philippe - Sri Lanka sounds exciting - in addition to palms I also like elephants!

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland