IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cerus peruvianus (?) is becoming invasive on my property

Walt

About 10 years ago I bought a small, single section Cerus peruvianus (I understand it's called something else now) from Home Depot and brought it home in the back seat of my car.

I planted the cerus next to my storage shed, on the south side. Over the years it grew and multiplied, flowering heavily 3-4 times a year, then developing lots of fruits.

About three years ago I started noticing small cerus plants coming up all about my property (5.60 acres), many of the plants 100s of feet away from the mother plant. At first I wasn't sure what species of cerus they were but after awhile concluded they were Cerus peruvianus.

No doubt, birds were eating on the fruit and then pooping out the seeds here and there. Almost invariably, new plants are sprouting and growing directly beneath a palm fronds, tree limb, etc.

Less than two years ago I noticed a cerus coming up next to an Adonidia merrillii palm planted at the corner of my house. I know this (time wise) due to date stamps on other photos I have taken. I have photos 22 months old and there's no cerus growing.

If the cerus come up in a location that is inconsequential, I will just let it grow. But the one coming up next to the house must now go. I'm almost sorry I have to cut down this particular cerus as it is so much more robust and fatter than all my other ones, including the mother plant.

Below are some photos I took of just some of them.

Cerusperuvianus1.jpg

Above photo: New Cerus peruvianus that came up on own less than two years ago.

Cerusperuvianus1a.jpg

Above photo: Closer detail of new Cerus peruvianus. Note how small the base is compared to the rest of the plant. Surely, if left to grow the plant will topple from top heavieness.

Mad about palms

Below are a few Cerus peruvianus growing farther away from my house.

Cerusperuvianus2.jpg

Above photo: It remains to be seen how this plant will end up years down the road.

Cerusperuvianus3.jpg

Above photo: This cerus is growing next to a queen palm. Again, note the small base.Cerusperuvianus4.jpg

Above photo: This one toppled over many months ago. Too much shade where this one is growing.

Cerusperuvianus5.jpg

Above photo: Small Cerus peruvianus coming up next to a smale Livistona chinensis palm.

Mad about palms

Walt, your plant is Cereus forbesii 'spiralis', sometimes known as C. peruvianus 'spiral form'. A collector's item for sure. I'd cut the house down before touching it. A truly superb specimen!

I was going to say, save that spiral form, move it out to a nice sunny location !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That spiral one is only two years old?? Holy crap! :yay:

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I would consider leaving the cactus in its current location, provided it doesn't hit the roof overhang. It might need a support,(prolly a stake) but as soon as it clears the foliage from the palm, it will have plenty of sunlight. The main reason to leave it in place is it seems to enjoy incredibly rapid growth there, and if it is moved, the growth may slow, and the beautiful spiral pattern may be lost/altered. That spiral pattern is absolutely incredible. Just leave it in place, and let the 'magic' continue uninterrupted. That is definitely a specimen plant, Iv'e never seen such a beautiful pattern. You may get extra lucky, in the event it branches, I suspect it will also have that spiral pattern as well.

The more I look at your pic, it does need support help. If you use a stake, be careful when you attach it, you don't want to leave any bruising to the cactus flesh. This is a specimen plant, and as such care needs to be taken not to injure ANY plant tissue. As it nears the roofline, you may also be able to run some rubber attachment thingys directly from the roof edge. You sure got lucky with the random act of nature there. Beatiful plant. Just gorgeous.

Thanks, all, for the replies. Now I'm puzzled. The knowledge I have of the Cerus genus you could put in a thimble -- and still have lots of room left over!

If in fact the cerus that came up on its own at the S.E. corner of my house is Cereus forbesii 'spiralis' (as Gonzer said, and others confirmed), how did it obtain this variance if in fact the seed came from my mother plant (photo below) that doesn't exhibit the sprial characteristics of Cerus forbesii 'spiralis'? Is that a normal (although maybe rare) variance? Do some seeds carry the 'spiralis' gene, etc.?

Well, even though I had planned to remove this plant, I wasn't prepared to do it until it caused problems. Yesterday I decided to check it out better and see that with just some light pressure, I can push the cerus slightly south to that it will clear the roof overhang. All it will take is some soft twine, etc., to pull the cerus slightly and tie (secure) it to my adonidia palm's trunk.

Right now the top of the cerus is 2-3 inches below the roof soffit. It won't be long before point of impact. But I will monitor the cerus daily and then tie it to the adonidia palm when the cerus comes within 1/2" of the soffit.

As far as the cerus's fast growth, I can only surmise it is because it got good fertilization (8-4-12-2.5 mg.) palm special fertilizer from my adonidia palm, Ti plant, and ixora (all in the same bed), lots of water (rain shedding from roof, plus hand irrigation) and lots of full sun.

For some reason, of all the Cerus peruvianus volunteers that have been coming up on my property for years now, this particular one is the fastest, and also the most stout. In fact, I've been emailing every few months, photos of this cerus to a friend out of state, and she even commented about it's fast growth. My friend and her husband just recently visited me and my wife and she took a photo of it while here.

I'm going to go back through some of my older photos and see if I can find some showing this cerus when it was smaller, so as to better judge its growth rate. If I find some I will post them here for comparison purposes.

Ri100_9832.jpg

Mad about palms

Hmm.

That spiral cactus will probably retain that character in branches, and cuttings.

If so, maybe carefully remove and root branches. You'll have genuine disco cacti from the 1970s . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You'll have genuine disco cacti from the 1970s

Discocactus is a genus of tropical cactus. The name comes from the ancient Greek "diskos" (=disc) because of its shape. Discocactus plants are endemic to southern Brazil, eastern Bolivia, and northern Paraguay. These species are in the risk of extinction in the wild.

Okay, I checked some of my property photos I took over the past two years. From the best I can tell, my cerus is less than two years old.

The time line for the below photos is a follows:

Photo #1: Taken on 10/17/2010 shows no cerus growing behind trunk of my adonidia palm.

Photo #2: Taken on 10/05/2011 shows emerging cerus behind adonidia palm. I estimate from this photo that cerus is approximately 12" tall.

Photo #3: Taken on 06/16/2012 shows cerus to be approximately 42" tall.

Photo #4: Taken on 10/30/2012. Cerus now measures 7'-1" and the top is 2" below roof soffit.

I conclude from th date stamped photos that my cerus grew about 12" during the first year (actually, less than a full year). It picked up the growth rate substantially the second year, growing about 6 feet more in height.

With winter coming on I expect the growth rate of my cerus to slow down. But I can now use my roof soffit as a growth baseline reference. I will update this posting when my cerus tops 8 feet and/or if it branches, etc..

Adonida10-17-10-1.jpg

Cerus10-5-2011.jpg

Cerus6-16-12.jpg

Cerusperuvianus1.jpg

Edited by Walt

Mad about palms

That is one fast growin' cactus, amigo!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Very cool looking cactus.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

AND WE HAVE LIFTOFF!

Walt, that is a fast cactus. Sounds like an energy drink . . .

(picture of a Time Magazine shot of the crowd watching Apollo 11, in 1969)

burnett_apollo_06.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice specimen. If it's fast like that then chopping it down should be a non issue. Scraped up eves and injured cerus or chopped up cerus. Hmm... easy decision to me.

Well, until I started this posting thread I thought the cerus in question was just a plain Jane Cerus peruvianus. Now I'm curious to see just what this thing is going to do, if it branches, how tall it's going to grow, etc. Now I will let it grow and grow and see what happens.

I'm not concerned that it will damage my roof soffit, I just didn't relish a plant like this coming up so close to the house. That is, the cerus isn't in the spot I desire it to be growing in. Nevertheless, I plan on letting it stay where it is for the time being. At the very least, it can be kept in check (cut back as needed). A neighbor has a big Cerus peruvianus and he cuts his back every 2-3 years, and in no time it regrows right back.

Mad about palms

Wow that C forbesii "spiralis" is nice, its also a nice form of spiralis not too congested, Im looking out for one or three of these most definitely. Do they prefer a bit of shade to grow like this I wonder, the more compressed ones are a bit ugry?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Since my last post my Cerus peruvianus has grown about one inch above the lower face of my roof soffit overhang and is inching up along the fascia. I don't think now I will need to pull my cerus away from the soffit and tie it to my adonidia palm. I believe it will now grow straight up and over the roof overhang.

I'm sure the growth rate must be slowing down compared to last summer, but it is still growing. WIll post another update once my cerus clears the roof soffit.

Cerusperuvianus12-6-12.jpg

Cperuvianus12-6-12.jpg

Mad about palms

• 2 months later...

Today, in preparation of a possible freeze for both February 17th and 18th, I was bundling and wrapping my adonidia palm (using a step ladder), and noticed that my Cerus peruvianus 'spiralis' has grown even with my roof overhang. This will become the new baseline that I can measure its growth from.

I'm going to take a WAG and say my cerus will grow at least two feet above the roof line by year's end.

Cerusperuvianusspirilis_zps7b25ce9c.jpg

Cperuvianus_zps45c9b18a.jpg

Mad about palms

That last photo is impressive Walt.

Well, I was on the ladder looking down and said why not take a photo from that perspective!

Mad about palms

Beautiful.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A couple of Cerus species are self recruiting throughout Queensland but localised areas, nothing like Opuntia stricta and O.tomentosa.

Very interesting plant. I'm so glad that it can remain for now where it's thriving.

Cindy Adair

It continues to grow through the winter. It's now slightly above the roofline since my February 16th photo posted above.

001_zpsdf6c78fb.jpg

Mad about palms

• 1 month later...

My cerus is now starting to pick up speed in growth and is well abover the roof drip edge.

I'm posting the below photo (taken yesterday) and will post back again in about a month, or maybe June 1st, to see how much it grows.

Cperuvianusspiralis4-24-13_zps6c6bfe93.j

Mad about palms

Beautiful cactus. On eBay small spiraling plants get $130-170. Insane.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Beautiful cactus. On eBay small spiraling plants get $130-170. Insane.

I concur. The price is insane.

Mad about palms

• 1 month later...

Update: My Cereus peruvianus 'spiralis' is now approximately 15 inches above the roof drip edge (as of June 10, 2013) and is growing into my adonidia palm's fronds. I will update this thread again in about one month. Below is a grainy video I took yesterday (6/10/13). Just click on the image to go to open up the Photobucket video:

th_026_zpsb926d797.jpg

Mad about palms

• 3 months later...

Three months has elapsed since my last update. I estimate (need to physically measure it) my Cerus is now close to four feet above my roof drip edge. So far, so good. My cerus seems sturdy enough. I'm going to continue to let it grow and let nature take its course. So far no flowering. All my other Cerus peruvianus plants in years past always flowered (at least one or two flowers) when they were about four feet tall.

I estimate my cerus will add at least one more foot to its height before winter arrives. I will update this post then.

Cerusperuvianusspiralis-Copy_zps1b16ab14

Cperuvianusspiralis-Copy_zps5d3866fb.jpg

Mad about palms

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to love each others company,they almost hug each other.

If you are really lucky you may be the first to have baby Ceradonidias in your garden :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

This will be the final update of the year on my Cerus peruvianus 'spiralis'. My cerus seems to have slowed in growth in 2013 compared to 2012, but I don't find that unexpected. In any event, my cerus is almost as tall as the highest frond on my adjacent adonidia palm. Little doubt next year my cerus will surpass the adonidia in height. So far no branching of main stem nor any flowers. Maybe next year!

Below are two photo views I took today, December 31, 2013:

Cerusperuvianusspiralis_zps7ea97a84.jpg

Cerusperuvianusspiralistop_zpsd304dace.j

Mad about palms

• 3 months later...

My Cererus peruvianus has finally grown taller than my adonidia palm beside it. I measured the cereus and it's exactly 15 feet tall. It's also starting to lean somewhat towards the roof of my house, most likely due to tropisim, sensing the adonidia palm next to it. I'm just surprised that it's reached 15 feet in height, yet it's never flowered. I look forward to see if it does flower or branch over the coming growing season.

004-Copy_zps2bc171f6.jpg

005-Copy_zpsece787ee.jpg

Mad about palms