IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Frankenstorm" .................

trioderob

if hurricane "Sandy" merges with 2 other storms off the east coast she could become a super storm - the strongest in 100 years.

comments ?????

Getting strong north winds today (Saturday) even way over here in the NW Fl. panhandle.....not a cloud in the sky. 20-30 mph gusts. This does not look as bad as the (Hell Swell) (Perfect Storm) of 91'.......I surfed triple overhead Tres Palmas in Puerto Rico a couple of days later.....the biggest swell they had in over 10 years at that time....even got a picture from surf mag photographer who swam 1/4 mile out to where the monster surf was crackin.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Power is going to go off for most folks just like last year, but I don't think (hope) it's not as bad as they say it will be... stay tuned.....Lots of RAIN that's for sure!

Lots of wind and rain here right now, but my one story brick house is dry and power is still on. All schools closed tomorrow. I have no idea what chaos Sandy has caused in my back yard though... All my really tender tropicals are safe inside my greenhouse, but the hardy palms must fend for themselves. At least this one spared Puerto Rico.

Cindy Adair

I read where an 11' storm surge is expected in NYC - flooding subways, the financial district and other areas. The head of preparations said they don't have any way to prevent the subway flooding. Along our coast, the 18' waves washed out seawalls, foundations, swimming ppols, docks. But when you build on a barrier island, that's to be expected.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

This storm is pretty large in windspan. On Saturday we got tropical storm force gusts that almost broke my Avocado tree in half, bending it too close to my fence. Hang in there Cindy!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I read where an 11' storm surge is expected in NYC - flooding subways, the financial district and other areas. The head of preparations said they don't have any way to prevent the subway flooding. Along our coast, the 18' waves washed out seawalls, foundations, swimming ppols, docks. But when you build on a barrier island, that's to be expected.

Yeah, that's a real potential for disaster, no doubt about it.

Shooting some good karma to the northeast. . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's starting to look like a worst case scenario for NYC.

http://t.news.msn.com/us/waters-rise-above-irene-levels-in-nyc-even-before-sandy-hits

"New York City shuts two major tunnels as the center of the storm was positioned to come ashore Monday night in New Jersey, meaning the worst of the surge could be in the northern part of that state and in New York City and on Long Island. Higher tides brought by a full moon compounded the threat to the metropolitan area of about 20 million people."

"NEW YORK — Forecasters say Hurricane Sandy has picked up a little strength and is making a turn toward a projected landfall on or near the southern coast of New Jersey.

The National Hurricane Center said Monday morning the storm's top sustained winds had risen to near 90 mph (150 kph), with higher gusts."

"The storm's center is about 260 miles (415 kilometers) south-southeast of New York City and expected to make landfall Monday evening or night along or just south of the southern New Jersey coast."

"Sandy is on track to collide with a wintry storm moving in from the west and cold air streaming down from the Arctic. The combination superstorm could menace some 50 million people in the most heavily populated corridor in the nation, from the East Coast to the Great Lakes.

In New York, waves splashed over the sea walls at the southern tip of Manhattan, already at Hurricane Irene levels Monday hours before the worst of a mammoth storm was to hit the nation's largest city with a wall of water that could reach 11 feet."

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo closed two key tunnels to downtown Manhattan after the city shut its mass transit system, stock exchanges, schools and Broadway and ordered hundreds of thousands of people to leave their homes ahead of Hurricane Sandy's storm surge. While light rain fell steadily and New Yorkers still bustled on the streets, Cuomo warned residents to get out of the way.

'Don't be fooled, don't look out the window and say, it doesn't look so bad," Cuomo said. "The worst is still coming.'"

"Cuomo said emergency boats were being moved downstate and the Brooklyn Battery and Holland Tunnels, both prone to flooding, would close at 2 p.m. The floor of the New York Stock Exchange was deserted in its first unplanned shutdown since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. More than 20,000 customers, mostly in Long Island, has lost power in the area by Monday morning, utility officials. Most of the city's 3,600 outages were in Brooklyn, officials said."

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR MORE

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

even got a picture from surf mag photographer who swam 1/4 mile out to where the monster surf was crackin.

Would love to see that picture!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

even got a picture from surf mag photographer who swam 1/4 mile out to where the monster surf was crackin.

Would love to see that picture!

Check some of the posts in this thread:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34620

Awesome is right.

Well, as we all know Frankenstorm lived up to the hype.

alas