IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Florida Palm Society Garden Tours

Ken Johnson

Three gardens were visited; Jesse Durko's home and nursery, Mike Harris' home and Jeff Searle's home. Over 40 people participated.

I will post some pictures latter. Any other PalmTalk members have some pictures to add here? Denise and I were the lunch runners so I only have pictures of Jesse's garden.

Thanks go out to the great hosts and hostess' as well as the donors to the auction, including John DeMott.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

SFPS Fall Garden Tour

October 20th, 2012

1. Jesse Durko Nursery

2. Mike Harris Residence

3. Jeff Searle Residence

Jesse Durko Nursery

- 10:15AM: I arrived late to Jesse's and ended up driving right into the middle of the tour as they had already started moving through the front of his property. I had to park in the middle of the road and wait for them to past. On the far right, host Jesse Durko describes some of the larger plants located around the house.

DSC_0655.jpg

- The tour moved past me, and headed along a road that basically circled the 10 acre property in a counter-clockwise direction.

DSC_0656.jpg

- Jesse kept the tour moving quickly as we only had an hour here at the nursery. It had been about 2 years since I have been here, and 7 years since there was a palm society PRA here, in the form of the 2005 Palmfest.

DSC_0657.jpg

- The tour continued around the nursery as I moved my truck to an actual parking spot. I doubled back a bit to look around. This is the pond near the front of the property.

DSC_0658.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- As I was looking around, Ken Johnson pointed out to me a few choice items in the landscape, including this female coning, Microcycas calocoma. This extremely rare specimen of cycad life was perfectly happy in this spot. It was growing next to relatively common landscape plants and seemed to take up the role suited to species of Dioon.

DSC_0659.jpg

- The sections or 'facets' of the cone near the top were spacing themselves out. I do not know if it was prelude to ripening as I do not know if the cone was properly pollinated.

DSC_0660.jpg

- I took off down the opposite road hoping to meet up with the tour in an opportune spot. I came across the group as they reached past the back part of the property. Time was ticking away and people had to keep moving. This was unfortunate as many people, including myself, could spend hours here.

DSC_0663.jpg

- This property was the second nursery under Jesse's direction. His first one was a smaller nursery not far away, also in the confines of Davie. His collection of tropical and sub-tropical plants extends to as many plant families as one could imagine. The majority of his collection centers around Palms, Bamboo, Cycads, Heliconia's, Gingers and Tropical Flowering Trees. He has near unlimited sources of plant material from all over the world and will try growing anything once. One can truly expect to find anything in this nursery.

DSC_0664.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- The tour started to head south into the built up areas of the nursery that separates the garden aspect from the production areas.

DSC_0665.jpg

- In one nonchalant area, a mature Pelagodoxa henryana takes up residency. It has the beginnings of an undersized inflorescence near the top. Jesse took a moment here to focus on one of the core aspects of his nursery, and that is the collection takes priority. He will sell just about anything if the price is right, but only as long as there is another specimen of the species on the property.

DSC_0666.jpg

- We're looking and walking... The tour entered one of the areas used for propagation.

DSC_0667.jpg

- The Ashoka Tree, Saraca indica. It has some blooms on it on the other side, but I was unable to get closer.

DSC_0668.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- As I was looking around, Ken Johnson pointed out to me a few choice items in the landscape, including this female coning, Microcycas calocoma. This extremely rare specimen of cycad life was perfectly happy in this spot. It was growing next to relatively common landscape plants and seemed to take up the role suited to species of Dioon.

DSC_0659.jpg

- The sections or 'facets' of the cone near the top were spacing themselves out. I do not know if it was prelude to ripening as I do not know if the cone was properly pollinated.

DSC_0660.jpg

- I took off down the opposite road hoping to meet up with the tour in an opportune spot. I came across the group as they reached past the back part of the property. Time was ticking away and people had to keep moving. This was unfortunate as many people, including myself, could spend hours here.

DSC_0663.jpg

- This property was the second nursery under Jesse's direction. His first one was a smaller nursery not far away, also in the confines of Davie. His collection of tropical and sub-tropical plants extends to as many plant families as one could imagine. The majority of his collection centers around Palms, Bamboo, Cycads, Heliconia's, Gingers and Tropical Flowering Trees. He has near unlimited sources of plant material from all over the world and will try growing anything once. One can truly expect to find anything in this nursery.

DSC_0664.jpg

Ryan

Ryan - I believe that Chris Mayhew has pollinated that cone. Be interesting to see how many viable seed are produced.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ken, as you know, I have a coning male and would be happy to offer pollen. I gave this year's supply to Montgomery, but please have him contact me for pollen next year if he is interested.

Great work Ryan, as per, looking forward to the rest of the day...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

- We reached the edge where the propagation areas met the container growing areas. (behind me on the left) Not the most dramatic part of the tour, but it did showcase quite a few plants.

DSC_0669.jpg

- Jesse went on describe how he uses the garden areas of his property as a testing ground, no pun intended. If the plant grows well and looks good after a year or so of growth, it will make it as a landscape plant. The road we were walking along stretched across the northern edge of the 4-acre section of container plants, on the left. Those power lines might look familiar.

DSC_0673.jpg

- The tour hosts were allowed to sell plants to attendees, but due to the tight schedule, we were unable to explore to find anything.

DSC_0674.jpg

- I walked up the road to photograph the moving group, but time was running out so the tour was ordered to turn around and head back to the parking area. In an instant, a perfect shot of a moving tour turned into a view of everyone's backsides...

DSC_0676.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- As we were walking back to the parking area, I noticed this mix of plant material that caught my eye. It was a surprise to see a pair of Hyophorbe indica looking so well, out in full blazing sun and growing as if they were weeds or old plants that had escaped their containers.

DSC_0681.jpg

- They were mixed in with at least 2 other plants and were growing right on the edge of the ground cloth, practically on the road. The capped sprinkler head nearby made me wonder how much water these palms were actually getting, to produce such results with this sometimes finicky species. Jesse had moved on far away with the group and I had no chance to get more info, minus the evidence in front of me.

DSC_0678.jpg

- The twins had at least 6 ft (2m) of trunk apiece and were in flower. I had never before seen specimens of this size in South Florida nor any in bloom. There were old inflorescences underneath the shrub so they had been mature for at least a while. No old seed or seedlings that I could see.

DSC_0679.jpg

- Interesting and surprising to say the least.

DSC_0680.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- I made my way back in time to hear some last minute tour details being announced while we gathered in the parking lot. It was just about 11:00AM and were were getting ready to move on to Mike Harris's place next.

DSC_0683.jpg

- "We are going... that direction." SFPS Board Member, Tour organizer and Forum member Ken Johnson (Ken Johnson) started off by briefing everyone on where we were going next. The directions were simple, basically traveling due west for a few minutes. He also mentioned he will be picking up the tour lunch at Subway and asked if anyone wanted something special. If anyone who was not a member wanted to eat, they could donate $5.00 and lunch will be provided.

DSC_0684.jpg

Next part of the tour was a few minutes away by car, but a while longer by post... stay tuned.

Ryan

South Florida

I couldn't attend this time, but to add to Ryan's, here are a few photos I took recently from Jesse's garden.

post-1035-0-59737600-1350917505_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-72661900-1350917542_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-84349600-1350917610_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-10210000-1350917644_thumb.jp

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I couldn't attend this time, but to add to Ryan's, here are a few photos I took recently from Jesse's garden.

Thanks for posting those photos Randy, as like I said before, It would have been nice to have had everyone spend more time at Jesse's. It had been a great summer here for growing. Many palms and plants hidden away in that nursery would be at their prime for viewing.

Ryan

South Florida

Mike Harris Residence - 11:15ish AM

- In one group or another, everyone made their way to Mike's in a matter of a few minutes. It was a short distance away and when we arrived we had a different parking plan in order. I thought we might have parked on the inside but were told to park along the median out in front. This worked out even better this way.

DSC_0685.jpg

- As soon as people arrived they were directed to enter through the gate and hang out along the driveway. The landscaping along the fence is dense, and made the property really easy to describe to people looking for the place via directions. "Look for the box of jungle."

DSC_0687.jpg

- Forget the Dog, beware of the spiny palms...

DSC_0688.jpg

- Host Mike Harris greets grower Claude Roatta, his girlfriend and dog as they arrive.

DSC_0689.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- And they're off! Again. The tour continued with a general circular course around Mike's property. We started along the south side, following the driveway as it head towards the back. On the left, Ken kept us moving at a constant pace.

DSC_0693.jpg

- We reached the pond in the back part of the property. Many palms and other plants ring the pond across the back.

DSC_0694.jpg

- The crowd began to split off in two directions, mostly following the path that leads to the back along the fence.

DSC_0695.jpg

- Near one edge of the pond, a pair of Metroxylon vitiense are in bloom at the same time, both with near identical inflorescences. They were both bought at the same time, and were the same size.

DSC_0696.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Zooming in to one of the inflorescences, you can see parts of it through the canopy. I hope they are in the mood to be fertile.

DSC_0697.jpg

- Down a bit to show the crown, with the petioles, leaf bases and the distinctive coloration and markings.

DSC_0699.jpg

- The tour reached the far corner of the property. This area was completely open to full sun and was therefor planted with full sun palms, Corypha, Copernicia, Borassus, etc. Over time these palms have gotten rather large and now bathe the area with shade.

DSC_0698.jpg

- Attendees take a moment to absorb it all.

DSC_0700.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Palms shading palms, shading other palms and plants. Mike Harris also has a diverse croton collection and many types of Bamboo.

DSC_0701.jpg

- People look up to a Sugar Palm, Arenga pinnata in the middle and that Arenga westerhoutii on the left.

DSC_0702.jpg

- "Ooooh, Ahhhhhh..." On the left, SFPS President George Alvarez joins in with a big upward stare...

DSC_0703.jpg

- ... looking up into this Caryota obtusa.

DSC_0704.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Moose

Just curious, why is Ken disco dancing at Jesse's place?

I think that is called the 'lightning bolt' move? I'm not old enough to remember disco, thankfully.

- The tour continued across the back of the property, following the path that runs behind the pond. A smaller group explored that small peninsula that juts out into the pond from the north side.

DSC_0705.jpg

- There are quite a few palms planted out on that peninsula, including that large clump of Euterpe oleracea out on the point. (center of photo)

DSC_0706.jpg

- Walking across the grass, FM. Andrew Street (Mandrew968) was taking a short cut, I think.

DSC_0708.jpg

- Society member Sandra smiles for the fun of it, as I capture a group standing under one of Mike's large Banyan Trees.

DSC_0710.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The northern edge of the center part of the property is divided into numerous planting beds, many of which are dominated by species of Dypsis. This area has hence been nicknamed 'Dypsis Land' by Mike and visitors interested in the genus.

DSC_0713.jpg

- Tall and short, thin and thick, Dypsis species of all sorts are growing together in this one area.

DSC_0714.jpg

- A highlight of the day, let alone the tour, was visiting Mike's Double Coconut Palm, Lodoicea maldivica.

DSC_0717.jpg

- It appears to significantly gain size every time I see it. With some words of encouragement from others, tour host and FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) gets in close for a proper portrait.

DSC_0718.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The palm is still technically a seedling, since it is on its third growth, or second full leaf. The eophyll is still attached and down near the seed.

DSC_0719.jpg

- By this point it was getting close to Noon and the tour had broken up into smaller groups of people browsing around on their own. I followed Mike and a few others as they headed into his shaded patio.

DSC_0721.jpg

- The containerized palms inside the shade enclosure run the range from the well known Beccariophoenix madagascariensis used for shade, and others much rarer.

DSC_0722.jpg

- Under the exceedingly rare category, this Pholidocarpus macrocarpus was growing quite well in a 7 gallon pot. I think it will end up in the landscape somewhere, whenever Mike picks a spot for it.

DSC_0723.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Attendees continued to form loose groups as the tour at Mike's began to wind down.

DSC_0724.jpg

- This group takes a moment to discuss the Pelagodoxa henryana on the left.

DSC_0726.jpg

- It was growing very well and had recently sent up a new leaf that was leaning towards me, just about undivided.

DSC_0727.jpg

- In the center towards the right in white, FM. Andrew Street (Mandrew968) leads a mini tour of his own. He might have been pointing out the crotons planted in between all the palms.

DSC_0729.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A large portion of the tour that was being led by Greg went the other way through the patio and continued towards the back of the house.

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

- Outside, they each took their turns eye fondling the Double Coconut.

DSC_0733.jpg

- In the center of the frame, Greg K. gives a short history on how the seed was sown, the way it germinated and how it has grown.

DSC_0734.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- With a captive audience, Greg continued his description of the Double Coconut's short life so far. I think he was using his fingers to gauge the growth rate of the newly emerging leaf spears.

DSC_0736.jpg

- The second leg of the tour had come to a close, ending on a good note and a few minutes past Noon.

DSC_0737.jpg

- The attendees were gathered in this spot as others and I gave directions to Jeff Searle's house, the last leg of the tour. We left shortly there after, with a few following me...

DSC_0738.jpg

... to Jeff's place next...

Ryan

South Florida

What fabulous gardens.. :interesting:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Excellent tour and photos....thanks....can't wait for Jeff's place now.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jeff Searle Residence - 12:25PM

- The third and final leg of the tour was to be held at Jeff Searle's house starting at around 12:30. I was one of the first to arrive, as I had a short caravan of vehicles following me. Lunch had just beaten them to the gate, so people got to eat as soon as they arrived. I kept the directions simple, but fearing some would have gotten lost on the twists and turns I took up position out on the road; doing my best impersonation of a sign. A few vehicles turn past me and head for the house...

DSC_0739.jpg

- After a while I walked to the yard to join in on the tour. I kept track of the cars as they passed me, and it seemed to be lighter than the amount at Mike Harris's place.

DSC_0743.jpg

- People continued to arrive for a while after the original start of the tour.

DSC_0744.jpg

- Dogs brought on the tour were going to be an issue at Jeff's house. He has his own three dogs and they were loose in the yard. They are not generally aggressive to people, but would be to other dogs, so Claude's dog had to hang out in the bed of his truck. It was not too hot and he had water.

DSC_0745.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- By the time I reached the back patio, the auction was in full swing and almost over. Near the center and walking away, auctioneer FM. Ken Johnson (Ken Johnson) was delivering an auction plant to its new owner.

DSC_0748.jpg

- The majority were seated and watching the auction. They were either eating or had just finished a short while before I arrived. I could see and hear others walking through the yard off in the distance.

DSC_0749.jpg

- In the center with his back to me, Jeff bids on a palm as Ken parades it around.

DSC_0750.jpg

That last auction palm that Jeff won, was the last one of the short and rapid auction. People began to get up and stretch, prepping for a good long walk.

DSC_0752.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I Luv visiting Mikes place and I guess Jeff's too...

I remember when I was there last trying to trick Mike that that Lodoicea had popped up a spike since he last looked.. well, Jeff tried. :P

Great PRA it looks like and Ken is looking fit! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

- As the auction ended, people went to pay for their plants, get some more food and drink, and ask questions about their new purchases. The tour goer in center is holding a Chamaedorea hooperiana and Jeff points off into the yard where his larger specimen resides; so she can see what her new palm will look like. In the bottom of the photo, Jeff's dog Kona sniffs her over for good measure.

DSC_0753.jpg

- As hosts were allowed to sell plants, Jeff brought a random selection of plants over from the nursery, a mere four minutes away.

DSC_0754.jpg

- Attendees form a line in front of SFPS President George Alvarez to pay for their new plants.

DSC_0756.jpg

- The weather continued to be on our side for the entire tour. It was a perfect day for it.

DSC_0757.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Over far to the right, Jeff started to put the main tour together as others either rested by the pool or took off to explore on their own. In the center, one of Jeff's original Beccariophoenix madagascariensis shades all.

DSC_0758.jpg

- The tour led by Jeff was under way. They basically started right off the patio heading around the edge of the house to the front yard.

DSC_0759.jpg

- Jeff pointed out plants as he walked until he reached one of his favorite palms. He stopped the group to ask them to try and identify it, as he likes to stump people as they look it over.... Reinhardtia paiewonskiana.

DSC_0760.jpg

- I got around to the other side next to Jeff to showcase the group. He continued to describe the palm with his hands on the trunk.

DSC_0762.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The tour reached the front yard sections between the fence and driveway. This Red Triangle Palm, Dypsis decaryi x leptocheilos, caused a stir as many had not seen this hybrid before.

DSC_0763.jpg

- Jeff pointed out the Beccariophoenix alfredii on the left to the group, including background on where the palm is from and how long he has grown it. He mentioned it was growing in a bit of shade and would probably prefer to have more light, like the larger specimen at the nursery. The heavy clumping palm shown above the group is an Arenga australasica.

DSC_0764.jpg

- Jeff turned into one of the beds to showcase one of his larger Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid' specimens and other palms not far away from the gate.

DSC_0766.jpg

- Same shot above, taken from behind the palms.

DSC_0767.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- I moved around some of the palms to get a good angle as SFPS Secretary Lou Squros takes some of his own photos, probably of the large Carpoxylon macrospermum I was standing next to.

DSC_0769.jpg

- We reached the driveway by the gate and crossed back and forth over it as Jeff took the group to different areas nearby.

DSC_0770.jpg

- 'Achooo' Sneezing can be contagious. Jeff stood on a nearby boulder to describe a Semi-Dwarf Betel Nut Palm to the group and explain the differences in Dwarf sizes.

DSC_0772.jpg

- Across to the other side, a partially obscured Kentiopsis pyriformis gets looked over.

DSC_0773.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The group pauses for a few minutes to look up at the large Bismarckia nobilis trio that Jeff went on to explain produces an abundance of seed.

DSC_0775.jpg

- We went off onto the pathway that weaves back and forth through the east side of the property. Over towards the right, Jeff pointed out a few unusual Licuala species and other plants.

DSC_0777.jpg

We started to enter the area devoted to large species of Copernicia and other full sun palms. They have since grown large and are now vying for space.

DSC_0778.jpg

- There are many planting beds nearby, but due to time, Jeff describes them from a distance. He is standing under a Coccothrinax sp. 'Azul', a very glaucous and for now undescribed species known for having a silver coloration on both the top and bottom sides of the leaves.

DSC_0779.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Attendees took turns looking over each of the robust palms that occupy this area. Many of them in the area have leaves that touch and have since overlapped one another, like the brightly colored Copernicia × sueroana to the right of center.

DSC_0780.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg

- Just to the right of center is a mature Copernicia rigida. It was popular with the crowd.

DSC_0782.jpg

- We continued to venture south and crossed under a pergola that marked another area dominated by palms and croton collections. Large Attalea to the right...

DSC_0783.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The mulch path turned to stone as we entered one of Jeff's croton collections. We stopped for a moment as he explained the crotons were once part of Bob Halgrim's collection and were kept together. Bob Halgrim was an original pioneer in the world of crotons and knew Thomas Edison and many original hybridizers.

DSC_0785.jpg

- A few large palms were mixed in with the crotons. The tour moved off, further into the back yard.

DSC_0786.jpg

- We passed by the shed on our way to the back corner of the property known as Palm Circle. It was 1:30PM by now and everyone was having a good time. The weather continued to be ideal.

DSC_0787.jpg

- We entered the ever packed Palm Circle. The palms and plants here are some of the first Jeff had planted in his yard. The fact that there are so many plants in this one area, made the tour pace slow down significantly. Jeff describes a tall Torch Ginger as leaves of the nearby Kerriodoxa elegans block part of the shot.

DSC_0789.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- There is stuff hidden in small pockets everywhere. I know the tour goers only saw maybe half of everything that was planted in this area.

DSC_0790.jpg

- As Jeff described the palms planted in the area, he also mentioned some of the rarer and more unusual plant species planted nearby. Many cycads and rare crotons are planted exclusively here, just to keep the selection 'Palm Circle' worthy.

DSC_0791.jpg

- We exited Palm Circle and headed west, across the back of the property.

DSC_0793.jpg

- Many of the planting beds along this path are large and hold numerous plants. Jeff asked if anyone wanted something identified, just to ask.

DSC_0794.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- We moved through the back sections of the yard fairly quickly. Jeff stopped for a moment here and there as someone saw a plant of interest that he needed to talk about.

DSC_0796.jpg

DSC_0797.jpg

DSC_0798.jpg

- Turtle mud bath. The tour made it to the open areas on the west side of the property where we took interest into different plant groups and of course, the tortoises. This one was feeling a bit warm, and decided to splash mud on herself to cool off.

DSC_0800.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Travis oversees the turtle kingdom.

DSC_0801.jpg

- When everyone reached the open area, Jeff went on to describe the items in the landscape and the other uses of the wide open space. A brief rundown on why the area is not fully planted like the rest. He also mentioned the encounter with reality TV that took place here in the form of his daughter Missy's wedding. It was filmed as part of an episode of the TLC show 'Four Weddings'.

DSC_0804.jpg

- I was in the shade of a bamboo clump as the tour turned to the right and headed towards me.

DSC_0805.jpg

- We entered the dense area on the west side of the house, filled with palms, bamboo, crotons and other exotics. It was tough to see through the crowd, but Jeff's large Mealy Bug Palm, Dypsis mananjarensis, gets a large reception.

DSC_0806.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Kane gets enjoyment out of a stick thrown repeatedly into the pond.

DSC_0809.jpg

- After the topic of the wedding was brought up, Andrea went and got a wedding album. She showed it to those interested as it included a lot of photos taken during that day and evening back in the spring.

DSC_0810.jpg

- "Watch 'em... watch 'em Kane..." The wet dog watches as the bulk of the tour approaches the pond.

DSC_0811.jpg

- Palms, bamboos and crotons get a good looking over as the tour reaches near the end.

DSC_0812.jpg

Ryan

South Florida