IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Florida Winter Outlook

gsytch

So, is winter keeping this thread going, or is this thread keeping winter going??? Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

Keith, you got me paranoid! This is my last post in this thread. Starting now. :yay:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

lol I was not that close. Thanks, PalmatierMeg :wub:

I remember asking what a PRA (Palm Related Activity) was on this forum. And the only thing I could think of was Paperwork Reduction Act

Calendar wise, Spring is almost here. Unfortunately, April Showers bring no flowers - its the dry season. Plus, Spring in South Florida is a misnomer - 86 F predicted as today's high. Sunday, a high of 88 F predicted with some inland areas perhaps hitting 90 F. No such thing as Spring - we go from Winter straight to Summer. :wacko:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Don't look now but they are trending down for next week. My local forecast has middle 30's and frost for Hernando/Citrus/Sumter counties on Tue and Wed AM and highs only 62-65F. This will be close to records for lows and low maximums. Funny, right now 84F dewpoint 73F and extremely muggy! :indifferent:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We're to get 50/72 Tuesday and Wednesday - Below normal Jan. temps.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

So much for the dead thread. Mid 40's expected here for midweek and all the tender stuff was taken out of the greenhouse last weekend. Guess what, they're not going back into the greenhouse so we're going to find out just how low into the 40's a Roscheria and things similar can handle.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

The newspaper just dropped lows this coming Tues. & Wed. : 70/46 & 71/46.

Meg

Florida

The newspaper just dropped lows this coming Tues. & Wed. : 70/46 & 71/46.

Yeah...winter doesnt want to go away! Here they are calling for 42 both nights, and highs around 64F. In late March? :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Next 3 morning here will be 37,36,37. I am guessing it will be even worse up in the Panhandle. Fortunately the winds are project to say in the 15mph range which should hold off any frost. And I tell you, this thread is the cause.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So, mid 30's again tomorrow night?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

yeppers! they will have frost and freeze warnings out for N and E of Tampa Bay and the Nature Coast thru Thur with record cold levels being seen. This is a COLD front. The latest NWS forecast even has lows here in New Port Richey at 39F both Tue and Wed nights. Since I missed all the rains I just watered fairly heavily. I REALLY want this winter thing over and spring to show up. Anytime. I'm waiting........... :violin:

The NAO and AO are deeply negative and the PNA is neutral to positive. Until this changes, we're in store for more below normal weather. Somebody shoot the groundhog.

It was 88F Sat. and Sunday severe storm came through, 80 mph winds and dumped over an inch of needed rain. Now cool all week, low to mid 40s at night and highs 65-70.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Temps for Tues. & Wed. are now 69/44 & 69/44. Then a warming trend to 48.

Meg

Florida

Looks like we will see scattered frost in low lying areas up here in the Siberia of Florida-fortunately the most of the FSU campus is on higher ground (better cold air drainage) and we get the benefit of urban heating-but I am keeping my fingers crossed.Wish I lived on the Big Island ;)

Just dropped south Louisiana down another degree to 35 tonight. Sure hope those winds hold, or we are in frost city here well beyond our average last frost date. And since it moves west to east, north Florida look out tomorrow.

Just noticed the dew point down at 27 degrees right now, a good sign.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, yes those very low dew points may preclude frost. Keep praying!

I'm with you. This thread is cursed. Let's make Friday this thread's end date regardless of any imminent April cold air.

Please close this thread! rd

Keith, yes those very low dew points may preclude frost. Keep praying!

I'm with you. This thread is cursed. Let's make Friday this thread's end date regardless of any imminent April cold air.

This thread as well as winter must end.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

My two lows for tonight and tomorrow night have been upgraded to 39°F. We didn't do bad at all this morning at around 45°F. I heard last night on the news that March has been our coldest month of the entire winter. This is beyond unusual. Hopefully this will be my last post here, in any case I'll start posting next in "Where is summer?".

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

NWS predicts a low of 37 tonight for my zip code. Historical all-time low for today at SRQ is 42.

I heard last night on the news that March has been our coldest month of the entire winter.

Frank, the NWS Tampa Bay says March 2013 may be one of the coldest in over 30 years. If this pattern had evolved earlier this winter, most of us would have brown plants now. Timing is everything.

I heard last night on the news that March has been our coldest month of the entire winter.

Frank, the NWS Tampa Bay says March 2013 may be one of the coldest in over 30 years. If this pattern had evolved earlier this winter, most of us would have brown plants now. Timing is everything.

And we would be eating dog meat sandwiches, oops getting my disasters mixed up but you are correct. Had these fronts come in Dec,Jan or Feb would have spelled death to many a palm.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

High today 62F Predicted low tonight: 42F record setting cold. Winds are vicious

Meg

Florida

And we would be eating dog meat sandwiches

I loves me some Dachsund. Tastes like chicken.

Tampa broke the all time lowest high temperature for March 26th reaching a balmy 59F.

Well, it was a balmy 57F as a high here. Winds were vicious, but the dewpoint stayed rather up, considering, in the 40F range. Now its 50.2F at 11pm due to continued 5-10mph winds at times and my proximity to the GOM (about a mile). A few more days of this and spring will return. According to my local media, this will be top 5 coldest March's ever. 2010 was 3rd but we saw a lack of high temps that month rather than colder lows. The other top 5 occurred before 1950, I think. Ouch! :yay:

Only 46F at 7AM so it could have been much worse. Tonight looks colder as winds go calm.

46 here on PI.

If this event was 2 months earlier wed all be outside now cleaning up the black mess.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Looks like Palm Harbor hit 42F.

A quick search around weather underground sites shows quite a number of areas inland that came close to or did freeze :-(

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

36.5°F. I win.

Tonight the prediction is 39°F (me) to 47°F (Eric).

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

40.4F here and it is only 56F right now, the highest today. Two straight days in late March that never reached 60F? Since it is not warming, it may get even colder tonight with calmer winds. I am sure there will be lots of frost in areas N and E of Tampa Bay. PLEASE warm up! I'm in NJ Thur-Tue so, I guess, I am prepared now. :yay:

Winds veer more to the NE tonight so the temperature drop should stop before sunrise.

I don't remember it ever being this cold with the sun already so high. According to WX Underground, Orlando International Airport had two days with low temperatures that broke records.

March 4 (doesn't say what record was previous to 2013)
Min Temperature 30 °F - previous record 30 °F (2013)

March 27 (last night) :bemused:
Min Temperature 41 °F - previous record 42 °F (1979)

I feel sorry for anyone "Spring Breaking" in Central Florida with water park or beach in mind...

Was 44.6 on the Isabelle Canal. Winds still vicious. High soared to about 63.

Predicted low tonight: 40F Say what? I am falling so far behind on planting, potting and cleaning up because I can't risk another bout of bronchitis by horsing around in this weather. I scarcely got home from the dentist yesterday when the few minutes I spent inhaling all the dust/debris swirling in the wind gave me an allergy attack. Winter, go away.

Meg

Florida

we bottomed out this morning at 36 with a frost so light, it probably did not really qualify as a frost at all. Warming from here, so tomorrow morning should be the end of it for Florida as well. Bye bye winter, again. Seems I have said that twice already

Another "delightful" 45F at 7AM.

39.4F here in New Port Richey. It never warmed past 57F yesterday (I think a seabreeze kept us down) so I am not surprised. This is one for the record books! Hopefully, tonight will not be nearly as cold. I'm off to NJ in a few hours so I am prepared cold-wise. :wub: