IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Florida Winter Outlook

gsytch

post-1729-0-47711500-1363507687_thumb.jp

Some photographic evidence of a mild South Florida winter. Yummy, yummy!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

According to the Climate Prediction Center, Florida has a very good likelihood of below normal temperatures from March 24 - 31. Could we see 40's in April?? May?? August??

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Once the hot season sets in here, I'll take below normal temps anytime. This would most likely occur do to a very wet rainy season, like last year. Either way, I will take it.

And no rain predicted for the next 3 weeks.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

What part of Orlando do you live in ??? My fiancee lives in Altamonte Springs near 436/434 intersection and had 40F and she is in an open area that is a cold pocket, she lives at the bottom of a slope so the cold drains there. At the top of the slope someone planted a young coconut 2 years ago and it looks fine.

I am near the corner of Maitland Blvd and Rose Ave. Three thermometers later I stopped suspecting the thermometer's accuracy and settled with the fact that I can experience in excess of 10°F COLDER than the warmest parts of downtown, and I'm not too far away to the north west. Now, I still have observed MANY parts of Orlando with the same lows as mine, as reported in wunderground. For example, a station in College Park, one in Alafaya, and for the lowest this winter (and record breaking), Orlando International Airport (to the surprise of many posters in this thread).

My thermometer transmitter sits about 10 ft from the western wall of the house, under a small (about 10') viburnum bush, and about 4' from the ground. I have observed that location is critical, and only about 20' away I have gotten no lower than low 40s this winter, inside the pool enclosure. I suspect that if I move the transmitter the other way (west) even further away from the house, towards the street, it may be even colder due to more exposure to the sky.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I welcome the cooler than normal weather as I still have some winter clean up work (removal of dead vegetation, oak leaves clean up, etc.) to do, plus lots of palm planting. The brutal heat will be here soon enough and I want to get most of this work done before the really hot weather arrives.

It's dry as dust here now. Hot weather would only exacerbate the already dry soil. As a result I have to do lots of hand watering so as to maximize palm and plant growth.

Mad about palms

looks like rain now in some areas...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We've been getting light rain since noon, about 1/2" so far. And so needed. Possiblity of rain off/on for the next 2 days.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We've been getting light rain since noon, about 1/2" so far. And so needed. Possiblity of rain off/on for the next 2 days.

nada here but for a few light spitzes. March has been dry dry dry total rainfall this month is under 1/3".....send it our way! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

You may have a better chance Wednesday.

Meg

Florida

Moose Land is getting a light but constant sprinkling right now - hey it may even get the soil damp. :)

Bone dry.

No rain here either. There is a chance the next few days.

End of March is often the first 90 degree day. Then April and May get hot but no daily rain until June.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The "rain" we got yesterday didn't even penetrate my canopy. Wet leaves, dry mulch.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

The "rain" we got yesterday didn't even penetrate my canopy. Wet leaves, dry mulch

That's the story of my gardening life.

VERY dry since early Oct. Rainfall has been so sparse. I'm hopeful tomorrow will prove wet. Let's do the raindance! :rant:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

RAIN this morning !!! About half an inch so far.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

RAIN this morning !!! About half an inch so far.

I got it too, pretty hard. Got soaked on the way to my car :badday::drool::)

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Rain here too......easily .00000000001". The sprinklers I turned off last night come back on tonight.

It poured this morning, thundered, lightning.....less than a quarter of an inch. Hose out tomorrow for sure! All the precip in the GOM is dying as it comes ashore. We need some decent rains badly...... :violin:

Wow an unexpected rain is falling right now. It seems substantial enough to penetrate the canopy and get some moister in my soil !!! :D

Rained a bit this morning, then quit. I've been waiting for predicted rain to come in from the Gulf for hours.

Meg

Florida

It began raining around 6pm and is still raining now. Mostly lighter with some moderate rain thrown in, but the last hurrah appears to be now at its heaviest. I'd guess about .40" which is better than nothing! Now a chilly late March day and night ahead - again. It appears next week's cold is either moderating or taking more time and not deep as expected because longer range has it up some. Weird march! :yay:

If there was such a creature as King Kong and he sneezed, that's what we got today.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

This thread is done. It is all over till next year. Hasta la vista.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sat and Sun, mid to upper 80s and chance of thunderstorms.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This thread is done. It is all over till next year. Hasta la vista.

Amen, once I start reading a thread I tend to follow it through, but I kinda keep waiting for this one to die but it never does. Of course no one makes me continue to follow it so its my own fault.

Edited by Xerarch

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Amen, once I start reading a thread I tend to follow it through, but I kinda keep waiting for this one to die but it never does. Of course no one makes me continue to follow it so its my own fault.

This thread die???? Never. I will make sure of it.

This thread die???? Never. I will make sure of it.
Ray, I started a new thread for you.

Ray, I started a new thread for you.

Well OK. I suppose we can bring this one back in about 9 months.

Well, the upcoming week (school vacation week) is looking to a semi-bummer for any of those coming to FL to go to Disney, water parks, etc.......highs in the upper 60's to low 70's for Orlando and lows 45-50F :-( This is not prime weather for hitting Blizzard Beach as my daughter already had already planned!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Winter refuses to go, so is this thread.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

iT was 44.8F this morning - that is very winter-like! And almost April? Seriously> and they are calling for 3 or 4 days well into the 40's next week. This is ridiculous. However, the AO is anticipated to turn come the following weekend, so perhaps, finally, winter can end? And its my spring break this week. No swimming! :rant:

AO = Air Overhead?

Almost Ordinary?

All Overboard?

Anymore Olives?

African Ostrich?

Help me. Please help me.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

So, is winter keeping this thread going, or is this thread keeping winter going??? Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

AO = Air Overhead?

Almost Ordinary?

All Overboard?

Anymore Olives?

African Ostrich?

Help me. Please help me.

"Arctic Oscillation"

It was low 50s this morning. January weather.

Meg

Florida

lol I was not that close. Thanks, PalmatierMeg :wub:

Shirleypt.png