IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

100% seed germination

Got Palms

I had 100% germination using this little green house for germinating seeds, the green house comes with a heating pad easy to use comes with these round slugs that swell when water added place seeds on top and add water about once a week, all seeds germinated in about 5 weeks. 5 Foxy lady seeds thanks Justin and Derik for the quality seeds and 96 Chamaedorea Radicalis Tree form from one of my palms and 20 Chamaedorea tepejilote also from one of my palms!

post-3040-0-10911900-1349995873_thumb.jp

post-3040-0-78358300-1349995882_thumb.jp

post-3040-0-43239300-1349995891_thumb.jp

post-3040-0-40948200-1349995900_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

i have used that same product for plumeria seedlings. I gave up on palm seedlings along time ago.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

• 1 month later...

Wish I could report success like yours. Out of 10 seeds I have only two sprout and one died. Mine were from the second batch of seeds from JD

Wish I could report success like yours. Out of 10 seeds I have only two sprout and one died. Mine were from the second batch of seeds from JD

Dont give up yet. These seeds may take up to a couple months to germinate. We have 100% germination as of now. What are your germination methods? Make sure your germination soil isnt staying too wet!

Thats a very nifty little desk top propagator think I would like one next to my computer. Does it reach into the upper 80's %, for me that is important?

I have large aluminium (5foot x 4) pads with thermostat and probe. I found initially and much to my anger these didn't reach the desired temps given by the manufacturer so the manufacturer then made the mats up again from scratch with stronger cables and now they are in the range as it were. With the digital thermostat lowering or especially raising the temp for things like Wodyetia its possible to speed up the germination but primarily the shoots so it happens more or less at the same time. Just thinking of ordering a batch of Normabya normanbyi seed but wondering how fresh it is out there in RPS anyone ordered any recently?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Dont give up yet. These seeds may take up to a couple months to germinate. We have 100% germination as of now. What are your germination methods? Make sure your germination soil isnt staying too wet!

Ziplock bag with a few cups of damp peat moss, outside in a shady spot. With the cold weather coming at end of the week should I bring them inside?

Edited by Chavez

Yes, bring inside. I've placed seed containers on top of my water heater before. If the bottom of the seed container makes good contact with the heater, it will keep it fairly warm. I wouldn't recommend baggie method with these. Just plant 1/2 inch deep in standard potting soil and keep moist, not wet. Needs to be around 75-95deg F. Outside in the shade is not warm enough...

JD

• 4 weeks later...

So I have had great success with the seeds after taking yalls advice. Placed the remaining seeds on top of my water heater in the garage. Thus far 7 of 10 seeds germinated. Go figure follow good advice and it works. :winkie::mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Guess ill be adding this to my Christmas list :)

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Great to hear Chavez!

Here is a quote and pic from our Australian customer 4 days ago:

"58 out of 60 have germinated!

Excellent!"

IMG_0577.jpg