Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Searle

Rare Ginger from Sarawak

Jeff Searle

Recently saw this growing in a private collection. What a beautiful leaf, maybe the prettiest I had ever seen in all my years of collecting. It's in the genus, Etlinger and is probably grown for it's foliage and not the flower.

post-23-0-11722200-1349396121_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-53830900-1349396280_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-95326400-1349396374_thumb.jpg

post-23-0-88794900-1349396460_thumb.jpg

aussiearoids

Spreads like crazy .. Geoff Fowler had it and would never part with any .

Gonzer

That's a wowzer Jeff. Short, tall?

Tropicgardener

Wow, that is different !!!

aussiearoids

Etlingera brevilabrum

tikitiki

How long till you have this for sale, Jeff?

MattyB

oh my

me want

aussiearoids

Is it growing in Florida ?

Imagine it would be ultra tropical , habitat is clay riverbanks in steamy Borneo rainforest .

Philpalm

Recently saw this growing in a private collection. What a beautiful leaf, maybe the prettiest I had ever seen in all my years of collecting. It's in the genus, Etlinger and is probably grown for it's foliage and not the flower.

Jeff. That was a nice ginger.. I got one but not sure if is going to live? Remember we were told not to cut off the stem? Well it was cut off so yeh

maybe Poonsak was right? BTW I got the other one with crinkle leaf and looks like it will kick on.

Jeff Searle

Jeff. That was a nice ginger.. I got one but not sure if is going to live? Remember we were told not to cut off the stem? Well it was cut off so yeh

maybe Poonsak was right? BTW I got the other one with crinkle leaf and looks like it will kick on.

Same here. I left the stem intact, but I'm pretty confident it has already rotted, the base of the stem has turned to mush. I'm so pissed!!! But the other one IS doing great like yours, and I have faith it will sprout up. I'll be happy with the one making it.

BS Man about Palms

Some little Pandanus I picked up are doing OK

aussiearoids

post-354-0-61522200-1350114506_thumb.jpg

like this ? Any idea of a name ?

Philpalm

Same here. I left the stem intact, but I'm pretty confident it has already rotted, the base of the stem has turned to mush. I'm so pissed!!! But the other one IS doing great like yours, and I have faith it will sprout up. I'll be happy with the one making it.

Yeh shame.... Thats the one I really wanted to pull through, yes the other seems to be doing ok but the mottled one as with your rotted real fast even with fungicide so obviously the are hard to propagate even though its a rhizome which are usually fairly easy.!!