• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alicehunter2000's Beach Party by Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson

Congratulations David, and the rest of the install gang! David, your neighbors must think you are a serious PALM NUT!!

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

post-3229-0-08885600-1365712136_thumb.jp

First off sorry it took so long to get a post off I've been super busy.

Second I'd like to thank David for being a great host, Davids a super nice guy and knows his plants to boot.

Everybody involved did a great job and no obstacle was to big to get over even thou it weighed 5,000 lbs !

Ken and his son Conrad are great people and I hope to see them again in the near future.

I did not get to do my annual visit to Mark Heaths ranch this winter due to my surgery so it was a plus that he was doing a delivery of mules to David, Mark grows killer mules I can attest to this as I have 3 grown by him and they rock. Also Marks friend who is also named Mark I met for the 1'st time and he's a stellar dude.

Any way the pic above is David giving hand signals, another palm in the hole.post-3229-0-08885600-1365712136_thumb.jp

post-3229-0-48032400-1365713917_thumb.jp

To the right of Davids head you can see the casarium tipped over, the crane operators son tried his way and not Ken's

this is what happens I promise you he learned a lesson on how to strap a palm.

post-3229-0-01701600-1365714262_thumb.jp

Lifting the casarium back up after a stressful situation, it all worked out in the end with no damage to house, fence, palm, or people!

attachicon.gif2013-04-06 10.34.28.jpg

To the right of Davids head you can see the casarium tipped over, the crane operators son tried his way and not Ken's

this is what happens I promise you he learned a lesson on how to strap a palm.

yeah, any guy who thinks he knows better than Ken Johnson about planting large palms is playing some bad odds! :floor:

Tom Blank

post-3229-0-13983400-1365714851_thumb.jp

Another crane shot, body parts pucker when everything goes over the roof of the house.

post-3229-0-75053400-1365714923_thumb.jp

Ken giving orders and David unstrapping. In the backround is a bizzy in a white body bag.

And by the way Ken the video went great with the oysters and Conrad go check the cooler lid, do it now cus I'm sure it's open LMAO.

Wow David, All these specimens look great! Each one looks like the "pick of the litter". Your palm talk friends set you up good...

Tom Blank

Wow David, All these specimens look great! Each one looks like the "pick of the litter". Your palm talk friends set you up good...

It's a really cool thing when you get to meet people from palm talk in person, I've never been disappointed, a truly great bunch of folks.

Those livistona decipiens are just fabulous! I love them.

Since you're planting so many large palms, maybe you have some good advice for me. I am hauling in a large 8 feet tall 24" boxed bismarkia, but the crane is not an option due to the sloped terrain. What's the best way to haul it in?

Those livistona decipiens are just fabulous! I love them.

Since you're planting so many large palms, maybe you have some good advice for me. I am hauling in a large 8 feet tall 24" boxed bismarkia, but the crane is not an option due to the sloped terrain. What's the best way to haul it in?

Haul it to the position upsloap and then unload with a loader. Then Have a "loop" tie and roll it downhill to the allready dug hole. Use steel cable to roll it down hill to the hole. You will need a wench to upright it into the hole and bingo.

Easier said then done but it is doable!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

It's a really cool thing when you get to meet people from palm talk in person, I've never been disappointed, a truly great bunch of folks.

I will agree one hundred percent! I had a blast seeing/meeting everybody and it was good to see my bud Don again! Too bad i had to turn around and leave the next morning and then load a hundred 3 gallon Mules to go to the ranch which is 2 hours south of my home.

David was a fantastic host and a pure pleasure to meet! Good times!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Before I post any more pictures, I need to give a shout out to all my palmy peeps.....In no particular order

Ken "Yoda" Johnson....for giving me the confidence to be able to pull off the install and for overall guidence from the beginning.

Mark "The Mule" Heath for providing me with some really nice hybrid palms that he nurtured from "before seed" to the giant specimens.

Mark "Long Haul" Burnett for hauling a trailer load of Mules hundreds of miles to someone he's never met.....just for the heck of it.

Don "Water King" Martin for helping with several aspects of the install and especially for fixing the water supply lines when the crane broke them off........super fast!

Randy "Need a bigger Crane" for sticking with it and getting all the palms in, while only kissing the house lightly twice.

Randy's assistant....who after making the mistake with the first palm hookup...learned quickly and actually helped quite a bit with subsequent installs.

Conrad "i-phone" Johnson for snapping pics, dragging hoses, getting supplies, and keeping his dad company on the road for 24 plus hours.

Labor Ready for providing two outstanding and motivated shovel personell.....wish I could remember their names

Willie "Hands On" Fishbranch for not only driving his big rig hundreds of miles over night....he actually hooked up the the palms on the truck, hopped down and helped with guiding them to the holes properly.

Kristi "The Voice" Berg ..... our contact from Fishbranch who was always pleasant to deal with and very helpful in the process of picking out such fabulous palms.

Lloyd "Root Prune" Fishbranch......for doing such an outstanding job with all the palms but especially the big Phoenix and Sabal.....you could see all the new roots already popping out everywhere...well done.

Last but not least.....Fishbranch Tree Farm....for providing such a great product. They had so many well grown, colder hardy specimens that they became the obvious choice for supplying big trees that would survive up here. I want to down with a trailer and buy some dicot's for the other side of my fence to block the traffic noise.....I feel a road trip in the future.

Thanks to all of you who have shown interest in the project, and for all of your advice....PalmTalk has been a great source for information regarding all things palmy. And the people that I have now had a chance to meet because of PalmTalk has been a wonderful experience.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Now back to some pictures....took these today.....notice the bracing....sure helped during our stormy weather

From the back porchpost-97-0-83611400-1365911536_thumb.jpg

A couple of more before bed

Mule post-97-0-42391700-1365911652_thumb.jpg

Bizzie post-97-0-73406000-1365911675_thumb.jpg

Now back to some pictures....took these today.....notice the bracing....sure helped during our stormy weather

From the back porchattachicon.gif photo (16).JPG

That is one superb view of the pool and palms there! Great positioning for the sylvestri and mule. Edited by WestCoastGal

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

A look out of the master bath soak tub windowpost-97-0-69709200-1365983030_thumb.jpg

Pictures don't do this palm justice......the trunk is fatter than the big Phoenix hybrid....will get a tape measurement soon.

Another pic of that same side of the yardpost-97-0-42211100-1365983144_thumb.jpg can't wait to start adding smaller stuff and to get a fence to block out the neighbor.

As has been said by many others, these are beautiful specimens, you really got some nice ones, and what a great selection for a 9a climate. This is going to be a great garden for all of us to follow and monitor in the years ahead.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

From the back porchattachicon.gifphoto (16).JPG

Really nice look going there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What a view! The sabal is mind blowing.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

What type of irrigation do you have going to all these?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I am hand watering deeply with city water daily for now. The roof should be put on next week and shortly thereafter will be the stucco. Once these things are done, a shallow well will be put in with irrigation to follow. Will probably do a combination of low spray and area sprinklers. If you check out this thread from the beginning, you will see that a 2+ foot layer of organic mulch was added to the entire yard top dressed with the white sand. This layer was very evident when digging for the trees as it had been "cooking" beneath the sand and had become a little difficult to dig through. Most of the palms are sitting directly on this bed of mulch. I hope that the water retention in this layer will help during the establishment period.

You can see the organic layer in this picture ....post-97-0-04500900-1366282462_thumb.jpg

The smaller C. alba's are both showing signs of transplant stress as well as 2 of the 3 L. decora. I am hitting everything with copious amounts of water.

David,

If a palm shows transplant stress take a few fronds off to help it. C.Albas love alot of water so you are doing good!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I am hand watering deeply with city water daily for now. The roof should be put on next week and shortly thereafter will be the stucco. Once these things are done, a shallow well will be put in with irrigation to follow. Will probably do a combination of low spray and area sprinklers. If you check out this thread from the beginning, you will see that a 2+ foot layer of organic mulch was added to the entire yard top dressed with the white sand. This layer was very evident when digging for the trees as it had been "cooking" beneath the sand and had become a little difficult to dig through. Most of the palms are sitting directly on this bed of mulch. I hope that the water retention in this layer will help during the establishment period.

You can see the organic layer in this picture ....attachicon.gifphoto (6).JPG

The smaller C. alba's are both showing signs of transplant stress as well as 2 of the 3 L. decora. I am hitting everything with copious amounts of water.

in sandy soil its possible to water only part of the root zone unless you use a soaker or sprinklers. Keep watering david, now is the critical time. Hydrogel crystals would have been nice...

Tom Blank

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, David, any new pics of the yard???

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

• 1 month later...

Any more updates? I've enjoyed your thread, wish I would of found it sooner. How are your palms holding up and do you have your irrigation installed yet?

Haven't been checking in with PT lately, been trying to get this house finished. Things are looking great. Been keeping up the hand watering on an almost daily basis. It's been nice to have some frequent rain lately so that the watering can take a break. The big Phoenix, Sabal causarium, and Mule are all doing outstanding....no yellowing and no loss of leaves. The big Sabal is in flower and should have tons of seed.

Other trees that have shown no sign of transplant stress are the Livistonia nitida (solid as a rock), Ken's tall alba, S. urseana, C. radiclis, the curved cabadae and C. macrocarpa, Bizmarkia, both queens, washies, and 4 ft. Mule and 1 of the L. decora.

2 of the 3 L. decora's , the smaller Mule in the front and 1 alba have all shown stress and have lost a few fronds....all are expected to make a full recovery. The 1 L. saribus has done very well but has shown some burning of the frond tips. This looks like it might be due to sun exposure and it has lost no leaves. It is currently in flower as well.

The only possible casualty so far is 1 of the smaller C. alba's. It has had a spear pull and it is doubtfull that it will make it. I have not given up hope yet.

All in All things are looking great. Will get pictures when the outside stucco on the house is completed and the scaffolding is removed. Hoping to move in and start planting smaller stuff and dicots in August. I will probably start a new thread (s) as this phase is over...will probably reference this thread so that people can see the progression.

I remember when I was lurking on PalmTalk and how much I loved this thread, can't wait to see some updated pictures.

Doing our extension and having a completely bare yard to fill I could only imagine how it feels to go from completely bare to fully matured specimens. I'm putting in a few large ones but nothing near the size of those, absolutely stunning

Looking great David :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2012, 2:52:38, Alicehunter2000 said:

I really like this roebelini hybrid....think I will put some money down to hold it. Been looking at it for a long time. Should be more cold hardy than strait roeb. and hopefully get alot taller.

post-97-0-80841700-1354481242_thumb.jpg

Took this picture in Sandestin. Can't quite figure out what kind of hybrid it is? That's me at the bottom for scale....the thing is huge.

post-97-0-41565400-1354481327_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you pointed out the tall clump of Phoneix. I look at it every time I pass. Of course, in 2014 it was mostly defoliated, but has come back. Just recently though, one of the two shorter stems died. That thing is a skyscaper, and is much taller now. Here it is on streetview March 2015:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3894027,-86.422384,3a,37.5y,151.73h,97.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saX10tc4YAheM5qvY-1Xxrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656