• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alicehunter2000's Beach Party by Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson

I see there is no shortage off cold hardy palms in the State of Florida. The next step is placing them. I am going fishing tomorrow so while I'm working hard to boat a sword fish lets see if David can post a picture of the plans of the plans?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

DeepWater frightens me. I start weirdin out when that sounder jumps to four digits. Even the change to three digits from the shallows gets me...

TampaBays only 15', & 45' on high tides... Egmonts got a 80' hole, but its shallow out the Gulf for many miles... That Atlantic sides a whole different ball game...

Is there any canopy at all out on the property to do any 'zone pushin'? Maybe a Archonto cunninghamiana? Kentiopsis? Kerriodoxa?

- Ray.

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Man i can't wait to see his place!!

Also, i have a Phoenix hybrid that has a basketball size head. I know it's small but what the heck! E-mail me David if you're interested and i can shoot you a pic.

Will the rules let you post a picture here Mark?

Hey Ken,

I have allways been able to post a pic before and i am an IPS member. I don't see an attachment bar like before, so i have'nt figured out how to do it yet.

Mark,

You should have a light blue More Reply Options button right next to your Post button in the lower right. If you click on this, the screen it takes you to will have an Attach Files, Choose Files button next to a paper clip in the lower left. At least this is what it looks loke on both mine & my friend's computers.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne!!!! You da man!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here is front elevation

post-97-0-37936600-1349324810_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Here is the Floor Plan ....top is north and the backyard area

post-97-0-61175500-1349325389_thumb.jpg

Eric that has to be the best looking potted silver s. repens I have ever seen ! PM me with the cost thanx

Ray....not sure what the water depths were refering to but in response to your other question....no ....there is only a clean slate to work with .....I will be creating my own instant palm canopy. I might be able to put more tender species below. Thats the plan anyway.

A little closer view of the backyard and pool areas, Depth is only 20 ft. and length is 117 ft.

post-97-0-65598300-1349326433_thumb.jpg

If it's blue you need some of how about butia yatay and maybe a brahea armata. I've got 2 armatas 3 gallon size I planted last year in the ground and there doing fine.The humidity we have only seems to bother the seedlings.

allagoptera arenaria, nannorrhops ritchiana, acoelorrhaphe wrightii, chamaedorea's, chamaerops.

Just some ideas Dave, anyway my shovel and I can't wait !

Semper Fi

Don

Me too Don...glad ur coming over. Interesting about the B. armata's....would like to get a really blue one. A. arenaria wil be and understory palm for after the big stuff gets put in. A. wrightii is on the Ken list. I got some chams and chams in container garden waiting to be planted.

HOA has okd house plans...will try and get lot cleared next couple of weeks. Scheduling planting for end of Feb. beginning of March.

Dropped the A. cahune and 2 of the queens from the list. We are at 29 large landscape sized palms now. Been working on planting plan....will be ready to show it soon.

Instead of a "Barn Raising" like the Amish do.....we will have a "Palm Raising" Redneck style :P

So far on the list: Don, Mark, Ken, David........invitation is open.....good time of year to be on north Gulf Coast Beaches. Could even get a permit to have a fire on the beach at night.

Sabal palmetto var. 'Lisa' - real cool looking palm that will take you growing conditions with no problem! :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Instead of a "Barn Raising" like the Amish do.....we will have a "Palm Raising" Redneck style :P

So far on the list: Don, Mark, Ken, David........invitation is open.....good time of year to be on north Gulf Coast Beaches. Could even get a permit to have a fire on the beach at night.

Sounds like alot of fun!! Can't wait!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here is my idea for a layout.....sorry it looks crappy....hard to do with Paintbrush....but hopefully you will get the idea. The black lines represent pathways and the red circles are canopy sized palms.

W= W. robusta

M= Mule

SU= Sabal urseana blue form

CA= C. alba

LD= L. decipens

LN= L. nitida

AT= A. totai

SR= S. reopens silver form

GC= G. crispa

SC= S. causarium

BN= B. noblis

SR= Queen

LS= L. saribus

PS= P. sylvestris

SP= S. palmetto

RE= R. excelsa

What do you think, I realize there will be some overlap in canopy but hopefully differing heights will help in that regard.

Moose, Sabal Lisa is a fine looking palm....may have to try it in the understory later.

post-97-0-07417400-1349651844_thumb.jpg

I would place the Livistonas away from the pathways, at the back, swap or replace with RE or Sabal minor perhaps. They are both surrounded by close pathways in your sketch (nicely done btw).

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Wal, remember these are not small palms....all the Livistonias are 10+ clear trunk so I will not have to worry about thorns on the peitoles...which is what I think that you might be infering. What I didn't want is to only place the tall stuff in the back. there really will not be very much of a "vista" view of the landscape because the house is in the way. Rather, this landscape will be enjoyed from underneath looking up....."in the jungle" as opposed to looking at the jungle from a distant vantage point. Ken has discussed this with me privately and I think we are on the same page in this respect. But I'm glad you took a look, just discussing these things helps to solidify the plan.

post-97-0-97944200-1349832185_thumb.jpg

Property pictures

First picture is entrance

post-97-0-70137500-1349832246_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-77314500-1349832277_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-93519000-1349832302_thumb.jpg

The property extends from the edge of the neighbors lot to 7 ft. to the other side of the power pole on right

post-97-0-14582800-1349832429_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-23702100-1349832452_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-21232700-1349832470_thumb.jpg

The power pole sucks....gonna hide it with 30 ft. ct Sabal palmettos

A closer look at the edge of the neighbors yard. This will be cleared in a couple of days. Lots of scrub oaks.

This fence in the back, I was informed today, is soon to be replaced with a brand new solid vinyl fence. :) This should help keep the cold north wind from coming in low on the back.

post-97-0-94338800-1349833260_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-49345700-1349833278_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-88232500-1349833296_thumb.jpg

And finally, the main reason I am excited about moving to this area....these beaches 200 steps from my front door!!!

Ditch the W. robustas and go with some Livistonas.

I second that motion.

third that one, nitida,mariae, and rigida should be fine in the mid to low 20's. Livistonas have more character...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

David it looks like a great project, the pictures of the beach are beautiful, no wonder you want to build there, all those advanced palms will be awsome, cant wait for pics as the project progreses :)

• Upvote 1

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Thanks Bruce I will try and document the entire process with plenty of pics.

Tom, what are the most unusual Livistona's?......hate to say it....but most of them kind of look the same. Right now I have 5 L. deciphens, 1 L. nitida, 1 L. saribus and a bunch of small L. chinesis to be planted around. Looking to increase variety to the eye are there any other Livistonia's that look noticeably different?

Ken has proposed a large plumose S. sacona x S. roman. hybrid.....for a reasonable price. Wonder if it will be too tender for this area?

Actually I have no clue about the florida peninsula climate but living so close to sea how are you only in zone 9a? I thought it should be more like 9b/10a... you are not in an open land either, you will have a house/building next to the plants...

Edited by Halekuma

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

livistona black petiole is a good one. What about cycads?

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Thanks Bruce I will try and document the entire process with plenty of pics.

Tom, what are the most unusual Livistona's?......hate to say it....but most of them kind of look the same. Right now I have 5 L. deciphens, 1 L. nitida, 1 L. saribus and a bunch of small L. chinesis to be planted around. Looking to increase variety to the eye are there any other Livistonia's that look noticeably different?

Ken has proposed a large plumose S. sacona x S. roman. hybrid.....for a reasonable price. Wonder if it will be too tender for this area?

David, looks like a great project and Ken is the man, sure fixed me up with some great palms. I think the color of livistonas varies a bit, at least in the desert where Rod Anderson in phoenix arizona has at least 7-8 species. Mariae looked more grey green, and much nicer soft color texture than a washie( they look a bit plastic to me). Mariae is also among the most cold hardy, and a fast grower in florida. Rigida is supposed to be similar to mariae but bigger, never saw a big one but they are supposed to be huge. I thought fulvas were interesting and carinensis has some interestingly colored (orangish) armed petioles. Some people say all livistonas look alike, but seeing them next to each other didnt quite lend that impression to me. Decipiens is very weepy, mariae has some weeping leaflet tips and is more robust, but rigida doesnt weep and is a brute. I have had all these at one point(I lost some on moves) and now I have chinensis, Decipiens, mariae, and carinensis. I left a gorgeous purple phase rigida in arizona on a move, broke my heart. When you are 9a you dont have as many choices so perhaps some of the 10a people are a bit spoiled by the many choices. I would say that Im very impressed with my mule palm, a great looking palm that should be more utilized in 8a-9a.. Fast grower and terriffic looking. Mine is around 7' tall overall after 2 1/2 years from a strap leaf 3 gallon! It might be that mules look better if planted small, maybe better root development. Your place should be gorgeous, Im sure the palms and the setting will be awesome...

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Jamie, I'm not really on the peninsula of Florida but rather on the Northern Gulf Coast. When we get winds from the north, they sweep down across the North American continent and sometimes push down into the Gulf of Mexico. I do have a fairly large body of water to my northwest and hopefully that, the proximity to the Gulf steps to the south, the house, and dense plantings and fence will all contribute to a favorable microclimate. I hope that I might be able to grow a few 9b/10a palms, but they will probably be smaller understory palms and plants. The big stuff Ken is putting in will hopefully be hardy enough to withstand just about everything and provide frost protection from above.

Livistona black petiole?......never heard of that one....will research. Cycads will be put in later, as will ferns and other smaller stuff. I really want to get some smalls in the sunny nitches along the western side of the house. Cycads would be perfect in some of these areas. Also around the pool area as well.

Tom, I believe that is the best description of why I should consider more Livistonia sp. ....I will continue to research and may add more. Ken is wanting me to consider more Syragrus species as well.

Thanks all for giving me advice....it is much appreciated.

post-97-0-95821000-1350095662_thumb.jpg

BREAKING GROUND!!!

L. Saribus black petioloe. sorry, I guess the saribus never made it into the post. :rolleyes:

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

post-97-0-91015200-1350261212_thumb.jpgThe Planting medium

post-97-0-24110500-1350261313_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-53130100-1350261338_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-00214800-1350261359_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-82316200-1350261391_thumb.jpg

Keeping some "smalls" at my parents house until Ken gets the big stuff in. Some stuff will be given away, traded or sold if it won't fit.....tired of container gardening...too much work.

post-97-0-01000100-1350261860_thumb.jpg

The bottle palm seems to really enjoy this spot.....nestled among various tropical foliage.

post-97-0-60019800-1350262038_thumb.jpg

Bizmarkia's showing some nice color. Ken is getting me a big one for instant gratification, but I'll probably find some space for most of these.

Will check....would probably have to have a chipper?