IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jerry Hunter

Gtlevine

My very close and special friend Jerry Hunter has passed away last Friday. Jerry was a legend in the nursery and horticulture business here in San Diego and has contributed so much to all of us. He was the owner of Rancho Soledad Nursery and Rancho Tissue Culture. Jerry sent me to Madagascar back in 2007 to search for new palms which I will never forget.

I will miss you Jerry!

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Sorry to hear That Gary.. I heard yesterday and Jerry will be missed to be sure. He was very instrumental in getting many gardens established in So Cal in one way or another.

My condolensces to his family.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary - I know how close you guys were. I am very sorry for your (and our) loss. He was a nurseryman without peer. And I have a feeling that is exactly how he would like to be remembered - so that is how I will.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Gary,

Thanks for letting us know and I am really saddened to hear this. I have known Jerry for many years and bought many palms from him both in California and especially here in Hawaii. One of my favorite memories is spending an entire afternoon with Jerry at his Palms of Paradise nursery here in Hilo, and selecting large palms for my garden. That was back in early 1996... Every now and then I have met him on his frequent trips over here. My thoughts go out to his family and to all who knew him.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This was a shock to me, especially since it was a heart attack. He was so active and heathy even for a guy in his 80s. He was still working and running his business to the end. I remember going to his nursery a while back to help him with some web stuff. Sitting in his office drinking beer were he and Loran Whitlock. The man loved plants and will surely be missed.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I was at Jerry and Carolines home last week doing some repairs and service on their air conditioning systems that I installed about 10 yrs ago. I always enjoyed cruising around his extensive botanical garden wonderland and talking plantspeak with him. I was paid with two beutifull Wodveithia palms that I planted a few days ago for my services. I will always remember him as a true pioneer of plant exploration and cultivation.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I am very sad to hear this. A few weeks ago I was there and bought several really nice big plants.

Michel

Last autumn Jerry gave me a very generous discount on the price of a large Howea belmoreana. He seemed sharper and more alert than I ! I hope that I can have such an active life that close to the end. I'm very sorry to learn of his passing.

San Francisco, California

DONALD JEROME HUNTER

1928-2012

The celebration of life memorial service for Jerry Hunter,

Founder and President of Rancho Soledad Nurseries, Inc.,

will be held at 2pm on October 13, 2012 at Rancho Soledad Nursery located at 18539 Aliso Canyon Road, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens

will be greatly appreciated.

‘In Memory of Jerry Hunter, Founder and President of Rancho Soledad Nurseries, Inc.’

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Here was his obituary wrote up in the Union Tribune:

HUNTER, DONALD 'JERRY' JEROME San Diego's Premier Nurseryman Mr. Hunter was a renowned Nurseryman and business innovator known the world over for his exceptional knowledge of plants and industry leading approach to the Nursery business. Mr. Hunter died September 28, 2012, suddenly and peacefully at the age of 84 surrounded by family and friends. Jerry, as he preferred to be called, attended the University of California Los Angeles, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree. He served in the Army during the Korean War and was a veteran of many front line combat operations. Jerry was the owner and President of Rancho Soledad Nurseries, Inc. in Rancho Santa Fe, California. He started the business in 1954, and true to its motto, was "always growing". He was a Landscape Architect and received the first ever Landscape Design Contractor license issued by the State of California. His designs are found throughout the San Diego area to include the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Balboa Botanical Gardens, Catamaran/Bahia, Lake San Marcos, and a host of other public and private venues. While he often joked that Rancho Soledad was the "best kept secret in Rancho Santa Fe", he had other locations as well; Mount Soledad in Pacific Beach, a growing grounds Palms of Paradise in Hilo, Hawaii, and the newest location in Mesquite, Nevada. Jerry was on a constant search throughout his long and storied career for new and different plants he could introduce to both American and worldwide markets. He was the first to send Rhapis excelsa palms and Dracaena marginata from Hawaii to the Mainland. He is credited with collecting as well as hybridizing many new plant varieties. He also built the first plant tissue culture laboratory in San Diego which is still in operation today and continues to provide some of these new varieties. He was also the leader in the Xerophytic movement to produce drought tolerant plants. His research and development served to reinforce the nursery's reputation of quality and originality. Jerry could be found daily at Rancho Soledad tending to every detail of the Nursery while riding on his golf cart with his dog 'Bravo' by his side. Horticulture was his passion, his wife of 38 years, Carolyn, was his joy. He is survived by his wife, son Scott, daughters Heather Hunter May and Dawn Hunter Clark, stepson Dean Seeley, stepdaughter Jean-Marie Seeley-Hing, seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. A Celebration of Life Memorial Service will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at Rancho Soledad Nursery located at 18539 Aliso Canyon Road, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens will be greatly appreciated. "In Memory of Jerry Hunter, Founder and President of Rancho Soledad Nurseries, Inc."

Published in San Diego Union-Tribune on October 6, 2012

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

My prayers go out to Jerry and his family. His love and passion for tropical plants will not be forgotten. Many of his plants are in our gardens, and we will be able to remember him by this. Thank you Jerry, and God bless.