IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Travel time to get home from Biennial ?

Cindy Adair

I was on the last bus out of Nong Nooch (6 pm) and my flight didn't leave until 2:40 am. After changing planes in Doha (I now know where Qatar is!) and then to Washington, DC, I finally arrived at my home in Virginia Beach around 7 pm. I think that makes 25 hours plus the 11 hour time difference for a total time from the gardens of 36 hours even with no flight delays. Well worth the jet lag-simply an amazing trip!!!!!! Of course some lucky folks are extending their trip to Vietnam or elsewhere. Let us know about your travel time and that you are safely home.

Cindy Adair

Glad to see you made it home OK Cindy. I was much more fortunate with time...left Nong Nooch at 3:30pm...caught the 9:00pm flight...landed in Sydney at 9:30am local time (9.5 hours later), then caught a connecting flight to the Gold Coast and got home at 3:00pm. So a total of 21 hours door to door.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hi Cindy, I was also on that last bus that departed at 6 PM from Nong Nooch. You certainly made the two hours of that bus trip to Bangkok go by very fast :)

Our plane took off at 11:50 PM from Bangkok to Seoul, South Korea. We saw our first sunrise just minutes before landing. Two other members were also on that flight.

Then we had what I think is the longest single flight that I know of, from Seoul, South Korea to Atlanta, GA. That one took off that morning and lasted close to 13 hours :bemused: and I saw my second sunrise while flying over Canada. Jeff, Andrea and Borgy were on it. I last saw Jeff on Agriculture inspection where they seized most of my seeds (keyword here is most :drool: ).

Finally, Atlanta to Orlando from 1:45 PM lasting about an hour. A great thunderstorm awaited us and the plane circunnavigated it going further south than normal. Total flight time was from 11:45 PM Sept 18 Bangkok time to 3:20 PM Sept 19 ET, a total of 27 hours.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

30 hours from Nong Nooch to home in Grover Beach California. Much more exhausting than the trip the other way, but I was told that was how it would be. Saw a lot of friends and met quite a few Palmtalk regulars. The hospitality at Nong Nooch was perfect, gardens and nursery- well, my heads still spinning!

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Andrea,Rob and myself left the gardens at 9:00am, but only to get back to the Grand Four Wings Hotel, where my Thai friend met us and drove us around for the day, including getting my Cites and Phytosanitary Cert. ready. Our flight left at 10:45pm, on to Seoul South Korea which was 5 hours, with a 4 1/2 hour layover, then the long flight to Atlanta GA. which was 13 hours. Another 3 1/2 hour layover and then a 1 1/2 hour flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Got through customs and Dept of Ag with flying colors. I was happy to find a few rare palms to bring back, along with some very nice crotons. Good to be back!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Andrea,Rob and myself left the gardens at 9:00am, but only to get back to the Grand Four Wings Hotel, where my Thai friend met us and drove us around for the day, including getting my Cites and Phytosanitary Cert. ready. Our flight left at 10:45pm, on to Seoul South Korea which was 5 hours, with a 4 1/2 hour layover, then the long flight to Atlanta GA. which was 13 hours. Another 3 1/2 hour layover and then a 1 1/2 hour flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Got through customs and Dept of Ag with flying colors. I was happy to find a few rare palms to bring back, along with some very nice crotons. Good to be back!!!

:yay:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

25 hours - Bangkok-Tokyo-Houston-Tampa

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Like Daryl, Colin and Bruce (Lowey), I caught the 9pm out of a bemused, damp, eerily still Bangkok Tuesday night. We were fast through customs, the sniffer dogs never stood a chance, then later on it was breezy outside, travelling at 600 miles an hour what do you expect. I got home this afternoon (Saturday) at 4pm, having spent time in Kiama with Col and in Sydney with my sister.

Gee but it's great to be back home

Home is where I want to be.

I've been on the road to Bangkok my friend,

And if you came along

I know you couldn't disagree.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Five of us from Big Island Hawaii : Jerry & Cindy Andersen, Lee Tracy and my wife Silvia and I (Al in Kona), left Nong Nooch on the 1:00 PM bus. Got off at the Bangkok airport only to catch the fast train to the last station, Mo Chit (close to downtown Bangkok), which took about 30 minutes. We then got off and walked across the street to the Sky Train which we took getting off at the 3rd stop, then tried to walk to our hotel with luggage and all but could not get thru the flooded narrow street due to the monsoonal rains that fell while we were riding the trains. We had to take a taxi via a slightly longer route in order to get to the ABloom Hotel where we spent the night. The next day we all went to the famous Chatuchack plant market and later in the day we took a 3 hour van ride to Kanchanaburi Province and the River Kwai. More on that later.

We left Bangkok Friday morning Sep. 21 at 8:15 AM and flew to Tokyo (6+ hours) where we had a 3-hour layover before taking the 7 hour flight to Honolulu. An hour later we flew on to Kona - a 30 minute flight. All in all it took about 17.5 hours to get home.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Departed Nong Nooch on the 6:30 am bus (which turned out to be a 7:00 am van) and then flew from Bangkok to Siem Reap to spend the next few days in awe of the Angkor Wat complex of temples. More on that separately later. Returned to Bangkok for one night -- well, that's an exaggeration, we actually left our hotel at 3:15 am to catch our flight to Tokyo NRT, then on to Los Angeles, and finally San Diego -- almost exactly 30 hours, door to door, in part due to the long layover at LAX. Still adjusting to the idea that I can brush my teeth with the tap water...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Left Nongnooch at 1pm, 18th September, walked in Bangkok streets in the afternoon (always raining a lot, and me and my heavy backpack...), then the flight to Frankfurt from 23,55 to 6,00 am. 3 hours feeling the german way of living and then flight to Porto, when arrived at 10,45am. Door to door - 22 hours. I am still suffering the jet lag :bemused:

I won't count the 5:45 am wake up call I asked for... I got "tha call" woke up in dark, got ready, roommate staying later.. lugged my luggage down.. asked if Breakfast was open yet as I would not have much time... Finally got on a bus to eat and someone showed the time at 5:37!!!! (so much for accurate wake ups!) One side note, those rooms could REALLY use a clock in them!

That said, left at 6:30 Am to Bangkok, very early for a noon flight to Guangzhou, China and 5 hours of China, then left at 9pm for a 15 hour 20 min flight to LAX... THEN an unwise decision to drive 1 1/2 hours home from LAX.. with delay and drive, @33 hours doorstep to doorstep.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken the time to make side trips like others did here... Problems of a rookie world traveller.. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

50 hours, 5 flights and 12,000 miles! OK, so I didn't take the shortest way home! :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

my return home via Korean Air & Hawaiian Airlines was tiring but worth it for me to have so much fun with the other palm people at the Southern Thailand Pre-Tour and Biennial - my 12 hour layover at Seoul Incheon airport was part of the deal I had to make to get those cheap tickets

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Oh yeah.. our bus trip was NOT without incident on the way to the Bangkok airport... :D I was sitting right behind the stairs to the center exit and I heard some road noise I was concerned about... well sure enough, a good hard right hand turn and the door swings open on the Highway!

Stopped to try to latch it.. made it about 10 miles then it happened again.. I suggested tying it if possible...

VOILA! Bungee cord appeared and created a jungle jim approach to the loo (Happy house as Sam would say)

post-27-0-11127100-1349233473_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

it took us 6 days to get home.

we stopped in malaysia on the way for 5 days.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.