IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Cold" hardier raphia

Halekuma

Hi, which of the more cultivated raphias (farinifera, vinifera, australis, ruwenzorica, sudanica...) could be the "hardiest" (sort of it)...

From what I have read here in palmtalk vinifera is being cultivated in South California and ruwenzorica should be a candidate coming from higher elevations, right?

Regards

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

So far here R. ruwenzorica has proven the hardiest, next would be R. sudanica. Raffia australis, farinifera and taedigera were killed after the 2009-10 winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hi,

Eric, how hardy is R. ruwenzorica ?

Is it grown in the US?

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I don't know exact hardiness but ours only suffered minor burn, after a night of 29F and a total of 12 nights below freezing (30-32F).

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ok Eric, 29F is not enough hardy for my mediteranean area!!

Thank you for the report.

Salut. :winkie:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

What is the absolute min. in your place Gilles? 29 F equals -1.66 C. Eric, does this Raphia have absolutely any chance in a european-mediterrenean place, where Pritchardia affinis grows (marginally however)?

What is the absolute min. in your place Gilles? 29 F equals -1.66 C. Eric, does this Raphia have absolutely any chance in a european-mediterrenean place, where Pritchardia affinis grows (marginally however)?

Well, it is obvious raphia can grow in european-mediterranean places in spain... In fact, there are southern meditarrean parts of spain bordering zone 11a... (in the last decade already have been 11a, not enough to grow coconuts but almost...)

Pritchardia affinis/maideniana is one of the hardiest pritchardia along P.Minor I think... In fact I think I could grow affinis and Im a zone 9b/10a...

Hillebrandtii grows in Valencia and even in some microclimates of Barcelona (where some winters -2/-3 C is not unusual)

Edited by Halekuma

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

Hi Phoenikakias, unfortunately my winters are colder than 29F, usually -2°C or -3°C and mini historical 19°F (-7°C).

Hi Halekuma,

Of course Malaga climate seems paradise and should be ok for Raphia and many tropical palms!

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

Hi Haime,

I was not meaning affinis but actually hillebrandii. I also grow successfully Pritchardia lowreyana (aka macrocarpa), which is to my opinion even cold hardier. Those two Pitchatrdia have spent outplanted in my garden many many years. This winter is gonna be a crash test also for the newly outplanted affinis and martii.

Edited by Phoenikakias

I had no luck germinating R. ruenzorika. I've never seen them available for sale.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)