IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Extreme SoCal Heat this weekend

MattyB

Widespread 100+ F temps today and tomorrow. Current temps @ 1pm Friday: 108F Camp Pendleton, 105F in Otay, 108 Miramar, 104F Clairemont., etc....

post-126-0-91548400-1347654135_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

very hot out here today. looks like with the offshore winds everyone gets to feel like they live in east county :) welcome to my world.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

...everyone gets to feel like they live in east county...

...minus the broken down ford bronco parked next to the trailer/house.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

...everyone gets to feel like they live in east county...

...minus the broken down ford bronco parked next to the trailer/house.

theyre usually parked on the lawn

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

109 in santee

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

111.0 at my house with 2% humidity (from thee ol Oregon Scientific weather station) I am 5.5 miles from the coast. My sprinklers are running as we speak...I mean as I type.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

ugggggghhhh. Not good. Anything over 100F really starts to mess things up. I've been in Alpine (inland/foothills) all day, which is usually hotter, but on a day like today, with all the off shore flow, the coastal zone gets the hottest. It's 99F here in Alpine and I'm dreading what my house in Spring Valley is going to be when I get home in a few.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hot weather across southwest California continues...

Temperatures today have reached 100 to 107 across the coastal

slopes and inland valleys. The only areas below 100 were on

the immediate coast... especially San Diego County.

Temperatures are expected to be hotter..near record... on Saturday

for the immediate coast and I-5 corridor... reaching around 100 and

continuing around 105 just inland. Hottest locations will be 108

along I-15.

Looks like I got up to 108 f as my high today. Currently, at 5pm it's 107 f with 9% rh, in full shade under the jacaranda. The greenhouse spiked at 118 f!

post-126-0-40884800-1347666965_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Wow, that's crazy. I just checked Corona & it's 100.6 degrees at 5:30 pm, but according to Accuweather it only feels like 97.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

San Diego Gas and Electric is funny, I just got a letter in the mail stating that tomorrow (supposed to be hotter) is "reduce your use day". With all that AC blowin I think its gonna be the opposite!

111.4 was my max today

Well, I learned a few things today:

My most frequent watering station waters on Wednesdays and Saturdays; this is the one with most of my palms on it. Because it was scheduled to water tomorrow morning I figured that they could make it through today and when it gets hot again tomorrow they'll have a fresh watering to drink on. This was a mistake. I should have turned that station on and watered today, in preparation for the heat, because I have some pretty bad scorching on some things. Not sure if the water would have helped, but it couldn't have hurt. The forecast called for near 100F though and that usually means I'm a couple of degrees cooler because we usually get a breeze. Well, bam!....108F, ouch!

On the other hand, my station that waters only once a week, that day being Saturdays, so we're at the driest part of it's cycle, waters all of the fruit trees and some hardier palms like Bizzy, Dypsis onilahensis, Butia, Copernicia, etc, everthing did fine, except my Hass Avocado. Unfortunately I'm learning that the Avocados are my indicator plant for that area and they abort fruit when it gets too hot and dry.

Another bummer is an Encephelartos longifolius 'jubertina form' that I've been waiting for two years to flush, and it finally did so this week and now the 2 new leaves are very droopy and not looking good at all. Dang it!

I guess you're right Triode, on a day like today, just water first and ask questions later. We'll see how tomorrow goes because it's supposed to be just as hot. :hmm:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I can tell my kentias are fried. Everything else looks good so far.

Oh, and one more thing. jen and I both agreed that the 93f with 50% humidity we had last week felt hotter than today's 108 f with 9% humidity. I'm sure the plants beg to differ.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

107 on Gringo Hill here in Vista. All my new plantings of the ropalostylis, hedycepes, burretiokentias, treeferns are scorched. On the other hand, all the encephalartos are loving it. It's been over 6 wks of heat and great growth until this blast furnace Friday. Hopefully today won't be as bad.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

it's 93 and 27% right now at my house, it's gonna be bad :(

Crap. The day after and some things are seriously hurting. My fuerte avocado has entire branches that look dead. Dwarf shefflera all have severe tip die back. ficus dammaropsis leaves with a lot of damage. Hedescepy fried. A young D. ambositrae probably dead.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Crap. The day after and some things are seriously hurting. My fuerte avocado has entire branches that look dead. Dwarf shefflera all have severe tip die back. ficus dammaropsis leaves with a lot of damage. Hedescepy fried. A young D. ambositrae probably dead.

i havent check out my yard to well yet. i think that since my palms are sort of use to the dry heat that they will be ok. i have a small d. ambo that got fried earlier this summer but is opening a new leaf right now. one of my bananas that is on the hottest side of my house looked like crap this morning when i saw it. also the double fox tail you gave me was showing a lot of burn too.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

112.5 at 1pm. 2% humidity. Full sun kentia is totally fried, dypsis pembana toasted. Pritchardia remota slight burn. Everything looks ok.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Were still holding right at 100.0 f exactly. I hope it doesn't get any hotter. I'm noticing our prevailing west breeze is kicking in, something that usually keeps us a few degrees cooler then the low lying areas. Yesterday there was not a lick of wind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Sounds like you all are copping a heatwave .

Wow Bob you need a shade cloth over 4 poles to let those babies adjust to the Vista heat !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I don't get it! We have this every year and hotter too!

Seriously, good luck, all!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

4 Full sun benticia condapannas, planted as a 4" and 1 gal last year totally fine. Only got to 106 today. Oceana fried. Haven't looked too hard yet. I hope my crappy soil that holds water helped me out

Don't know about anyone else but the heat is in FULL force here this weekend. Hit 100F yesterday and it will likely hit that again today. These poor palms and plants aren't getting a chance to recover after each wave of scorching temps. I

Thankfully, before I left, I ordered a "SHON" watering device. This saved my yard!! THANKS SHON! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thankfully, before I left, I ordered a "SHON" watering device. This saved my yard!! THANKS SHON! :D

What's a SHON watering device?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

lots and lots and lots and lots of water!

did I say lots of water!

It hasn't been under 90f. in over a month here...

It's going to be in the 80's today!!! I have watered by hand everyday for what seems forever, probably a couple months. My water usage has to be doubled from last summer.

I have almost 100 different kinds of palm trees and another hundred + assorted plants. Out of all these plants only one has suffered damage from the heat wave. My ficus damoropsis has leaves sun burned. The leaves don't last that long thru the wave. The plant has thrown alot of new leaves thru out the wave and still looks nice!

I believe our plants are quite simular to us in a heat wave. In construction I had to survive working on roofs in temps up to 123f. If I did everything wrong, drink stuff that dehydrates us the night before, eating heavy meals and not hydrating enough, would effect my bodies abilities to perform!

If I did everything right I could do my job well inspite of the high temps. The main right thing was staying hydrated. During a real hot day I would drink at least a gallon of water and two quarts of gatoraid during my work day. Also I reduced beer and coffee consumption.

When I see that a heat wave is comming soon I start watering heavy days before it hits my garden. Also if strong winds are forcasted I water alot.

Water is the reason my plants grew well for me thru the heat wave, the only reason too...

Randy

test