IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free day - any plans?

Trópico

Some of us who won't be busy with IPS directive meetings and related activities have a free day to spend as we like. Me and my wife are thinking about what to do and we certainly don't want to miss some of the temples in Bangkok as well as the weekend market, as we have never been to Thailand before.

The problem, we are going to be two hours away that day, in Pattaya.

We would like to see what's the feasibility of arranging for some transportation early in the morning, spend the day sightseeing the Royal Palace and surroundings, going to the market at Chatuchak (free day falls on a Sunday), and head back to Pattaya that evening. The drive appears to be 2 hours one way :o . I'm mentally comparing it to Orlando - St. Petesburg which is comfortably doable in one day.

There will be limited windows of opportunities on other days while in the Grand Four Wings hotel (about a few hours before the main biennial dinner).

Please share your plans and any ideas.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Some of us who won't be busy with IPS directive meetings and related activities have a free day to spend as we like. Me and my wife are thinking about what to do and we certainly don't want to miss some of the temples in Bangkok as well as the weekend market, as we have never been to Thailand before.

We would like to see what's the feasibility of arranging for some transportation early in the morning, spend the day sightseeing the Royal Palace and surroundings, going to the market at Chatuchak (free day falls on a Sunday), and head back to Pattaya that evening. The drive appears to be 2 hours one way :o . I'm mentally comparing it to Orlando - St. Petesburg which is comfortably doable in one day.

There will be limited windows of opportunities on other days while in the Grand Four Wings hotel (about a few hours before the main biennial dinner).

I'm not the tourist type generally, so palace and temples and statues aren't my thing, but I'm hearing ya Frank. We are near the water so that is something I would consider doing, heading near the coastline etc. Definitely worth thinking about Frank.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Frank,

I think you need to spend at least half a day in Grand Palace or the surroundings that will make it full day already considering the travel time from/to Pattaya. It is 150 KMs from Pattaya to Bangkok but the traffic inside Bangkok will be quite bad so it might take more than an hour..

Chatuchak Market on Sunday is opened for all kinds of goods so it might be good as well but you will not find many plants there. It is opened until late afternoon (4-5 PM).

Best Regards,

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

Hi Frank,

I think you need to spend at least half a day in Grand Palace or the surroundings that will make it full day already considering the travel time from/to Pattaya. It is 150 KMs from Pattaya to Bangkok but the traffic inside Bangkok will be quite bad so it might take more than an hour..

Chatuchak Market on Sunday is opened for all kinds of goods so it might be good as well but you will not find many plants there. It is opened until late afternoon (4-5 PM).

Best Regards,

We plan on spending a good part of wednesday(pre-biennial), looking at alllll the plants in the market and outside along the highway. We'll be back from Chaing Mai to go on sunday as well. Foaming at the mouth!!! :yay:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Frank,

Best Regards,

We plan on spending a good part of wednesday(pre-biennial), looking at alllll the plants in the market and outside along the highway. We'll be back from Chaing Mai to go on sunday as well. Foaming at the mouth!!! :yay:

I probably won't have much time for plant shopping, rather shopping in general, and if there are plants along the way, the better! But for sure I'll be down in SW ranches for the fall sale.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Saturday Sep 15 is a free day. Would anyone be interested to go see Poonsak's nursery in Chantaburi on that day?

I just met a friend of Poonsak who is visiting the Philippines, and he told me that Poonsak welcomes visitors, and if there is a group interested, he can even provide a van to transport the group. It takes about 2 hours to reach his nursery from Nong Nooch.

If some biennial participants are interested, I can try to make arrangement with Poonsak whose contact numbers were provided me by his friend.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

George,

I'm guessing there will be others who will be interested, but they may not necessarily be checking PalmTalk. Best approach is probably to find out who is interested once we are there. Welcome Dinner is on Tuesday evening so the Free Day is still several days into the future. Why not get back with Poonsak now and let him know that you are interested but won't know until next week who else (and how many) might also be up for the trip to visit him? Presumably a van can be arranged on short notice.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I have been to Pattaya beach, It is beautiful! Things to do-

-Go to the mall, The movie theater is awesome and so is the ripley's believe it or not.

-The Bhat bus (taxi, a small truck that has seats in the back) is fun but scary because the more money you give the driver, the faster he will go and run more red lights to get you there.

- if you like beer go to Kilkennys and have a Kilkenny beer. Its the best that i've tasted in the world. It's not sold in the US to my knowledge and i've only had it in France and Thailand.

-Shop Shop Shop! you can get 3 custom suits and shoes for $150

-Stay out of "Boys Town"!

-Don't go to the "Frog show' or "Banana show" or "Dart show"

-you can ride elephants and pet tigers at this place just outside the main city, I forgot the name

-There is a bungee tower by the elephant place that is cool too.

Thats it from what I can remember, I wasn't into palms at the time so I can't comment on that :(. It can be a very dark and sad place so If you havent traveled to that part of the world be ready to be shocked.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Hello Bo,

I wonder why I didn't get a notification of your reply. Anyway, my plan is to contact Poonsak after I get to Bangkok, so your advice is just right.

George

George,

I'm guessing there will be others who will be interested, but they may not necessarily be checking PalmTalk. Best approach is probably to find out who is interested once we are there. Welcome Dinner is on Tuesday evening so the Free Day is still several days into the future. Why not get back with Poonsak now and let him know that you are interested but won't know until next week who else (and how many) might also be up for the trip to visit him? Presumably a van can be arranged on short notice.

Bo-Göran

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

A trip to Bangkok is forming from the South Thailand crew. Not many details yet. I suppose to see several points of interest and some shopping.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes