IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Accuweather

SubTropicRay

From Frank Strait, Accuweather meteorologist

".....The not-as-cold-as-I-thought-it-would-be air mass is still on schedule to arrive tomorrow night into Thursday for areas from the Carolinas to Florida. It looks cold enough for a freeze possible Thursday or Friday night in the usual cold spots of central Florida, but that isn't too out of the ordinary. The citrus looks safe ... for now, anyway......."

Why do I sense some dissapointment in his blog?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray-

Ive given up on pretty much all forecasters outside of NWS.  The rest of them seem to treat weather as entertainment as though the forecasters are somehow trying to live their "Hollywood dream".  Weather should pretty much just be factual and boringly presented.

If the current NWS forecast plays out, tt looks like tomorrow night/Friday AM may get down to the 40-45F range in most areas and that will be about it.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Ray-

Ive given up on pretty much all forecasters outside of NWS.  The rest of them seem to treat weather as entertainment as though the forecasters are somehow trying to live their "Hollywood dream".  Weather should pretty much just be factual and boringly presented.

If the current NWS forecast plays out, tt looks like tomorrow night/Friday AM may get down to the 40-45F range in most areas and that will be about it.

Larry,

how do I get the NWS.... I'm REALLY getting Tired of Accuweather... Joe Bastardi and Elliot Abrams can KISS MY A@#

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Thanks Ray :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby-

You can click on a spot on the map and youll get the "point" forecast for that location.  This is great feature.

Larry 

Bobby-

You can click on a spot on the map and youll get the "point" forecast for that location.  This is great feature

Yeah, I got it... thanks guys.... It's excellent..... Except they only go a few days out - which is probably better anyway.. I don't think weather is accurate past like say 7 days or so..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yes...they stick their necks out for 7 days only.  Much more than that seems foolish anyway.  There are other NWS discussions on the longer range stuff.

Another great feature is the "hourly weather graph".  You can use this as a tracking tool to see how your yard is faring compared to the forecast at specific points in time.  This can end up being a troubling, or comforting process :D

Larry 

Another great feature is the "hourly weather graph".  You can use this as a tracking tool to see how your yard is faring compared to the forecast at specific points in time.  This can end up being a troubling, or comforting process  

Usually troubling :(  ... I'm not in one of the warmer microclimates. I'm about 15 miles from the ocean which makes me colder....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 24 2007,09:52)

Another great feature is the "hourly weather graph".  You can use this as a tracking tool to see how your yard is faring compared to the forecast at specific points in time.  This can end up being a troubling, or comforting process  

Usually troubling :(  ... I'm not in one of the warmer microclimates. I'm about 15 miles from the ocean which makes me colder....

Well....if you do the "point and click" forecast, the hourly forecast should be what is forecast for that specific point (i.e. you yard).

Heres a good description of how the "point and click" forecasts are created.

http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetstream/w...inpoint_max.htm

Larry 

Bobby, how far is the north shore of the island from you?

Bobby, how far is the north shore of the island from you?

about 10 miles.... I'm like dead center of the island, a little bit closer to the north.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Doesn't the cold air modify some as it crosses the relatively warmer ocean water?

Doesn't the cold air modify some as it crosses the relatively warmer ocean water

I'll tell ya Ray..... I don't know... But I've never felt cold like I did this morning. Supposedly, it's the coldest day since Jan/91... I hope I never feel anything like it again - it was just brutal... My Truck hardly even cranked over this morning - but there was no frost...lol

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS