post-50-0-58004800-1345747697_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-66307400-1345747739_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-66448900-1345747781_thumb.jpg

MattyB

That is just absolutely ridiculous!!!!!! :drool::o

DoomsDave

Dang, they won't fit in the overhead baggage compartments . . . . . :hmm:

Walter John

Oh my, those prices are so cheap. $130 approx for 13 foot Kentiopsis and Carpoxylon ? Why can't that happen here ? not fair...

Hidden Meadows

Where are these palms located?

sarasota alex

I need a new house with a bigger yard!

Jeff Searle

All over south Florida. We all have toooooo many.

Tilto

Classic supply/demand imbalance.I had 9 Kentiopsis in 25g containers (8ft tall) It took 6 months to get rid of them on Craigslist.The price was a whopping $60.Too many palms too few buyers down here.In time the reverse will occur as almost no one is aggressively potting up the slower varieties anymore.One day we will wake up and there will be no supply.

Moose

That is just absolutely ridiculous!!!!!! :drool::o

:violin:

Jeff Searle

Classic supply/demand imbalance.I had 9 Kentiopsis in 25g containers (8ft tall) It took 6 months to get rid of them on Craigslist.The price was a whopping $60.Too many palms too few buyers down here.In time the reverse will occur as almost no one is aggressively potting up the slower varieties anymore.One day we will wake up and there will be no supply.

Honestly, short of a natural disaster hitting south Florida ( hurricane, severe winter), I really don't see or have much faith in the good ole days when prices for something rare, or "hard to find" will get back higher than what they are now. There will be a few growers or collectors that have these types of palms now and will eventually get out of it, but as more localized seed for these palms come more abundant ( and worldwide ), people will continue growing "more" than they should, thus flooding the market.

Mandrew968

Honestly, short of a natural disaster hitting south Florida ( hurricane, severe winter), I really don't see or have much faith in the good ole days when prices for something rare, or "hard to find" will get back higher than what they are now. There will be a few growers or collectors that have these types of palms now and will eventually get out of it, but as more localized seed for these palms come more abundant ( and worldwide ), people will continue growing "more" than they should, thus flooding the market.

But the market is seemingly untapped--if you were to convey to homeowners the similarity of upgrading your kitchen and upgrading your landscape, then we would have a lot less coconuts, spindles and roebelenii! I wish I drove around and saw Satakentias and Carpoxylons and Copernicias, but all I see is Adonidias eat up with white fly. These same people who have granite countertops have linoleum equivolant palms--plant marble and granite style palms, people!

amazon exotics

any flowering teddys??

Moose

But the market is seemingly untapped--if you were to convey to homeowners the similarity of upgrading your kitchen and upgrading your landscape, then we would have a lot less coconuts, spindles and roebelenii! I wish I drove around and saw Satakentias and Carpoxylons and Copernicias, but all I see is Adonidias eat up with white fly. These same people who have granite countertops have linoleum equivolant palms--plant marble and granite style palms, people!

Andrew - the market indicates that people get out of their cars and head straight into the house. Spending time in a garden is not enjoyed by as many as in the past. Most people have a lawn service and hire them to do the landscaping, i.e. all the Adonidias. Look at all the zero lot line homes. Landscaping overseen by the homeowners association. Randy (palmisland) is a board member on his homeowners assocition in a gated community. He works very hard to educate them. It is hard to get these associations to commit to any plants and palms not found in the big box stores. <_<

Mandrew968

It's hard, but so are a lot of these people's heads! You just have to hit them with a coconut or two and then, maybe they will plant the better alternative--the Satakentia.

Moose

It's hard, but so are a lot of these people's heads! You just have to hit them with a coconut or two and then, maybe they will plant the better alternative--the Satakentia.

That sounds like a nefarious marketing strategy? :bemused:

Jeff Searle

Andrew, all of us that sell and or grow these types of palms for several years, were constantly trying to educate the public that there's more than Royals and Foxtails out there. It's a very slow process to see a new palm introduce and then be able to see them planted everywhere. But over the years, there have been many that were once thought of being extreamly unaffordable or hard to find, are now in the landscapes.

John Case

Andrew, all of us that sell and or grow these types of palms for several years, were constantly trying to educate the public that there's more than Royals and Foxtails out there. It's a very slow process to see a new palm introduce and then be able to see them planted everywhere. But over the years, there have been many that were once thought of being extreamly unaffordable or hard to find, are now in the landscapes.

Jeff, there are? however, we have neither....we try to educate folks that there are other than Mexican Fans and Queens....same problem, different trees....

sarasota alex

Andrew - the market indicates that people get out of their cars and head straight into the house. Spending time in a garden is not enjoyed by as many as in the past. Most people have a lawn service and hire them to do the landscaping, i.e. all the Adonidias. Look at all the zero lot line homes. Landscaping overseen by the homeowners association. Randy (palmisland) is a board member on his homeowners assocition in a gated community. He works very hard to educate them. It is hard to get these associations to commit to any plants and palms not found in the big box stores. <_<

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I am currently a board member and the chairman of the Property & Groungs committee in my homeowners association.